Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List is wafer thin

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Our list is so thin that 2 players good enough to get picked up by other clubs left us for lack of opportunities.

I would play Heeney, Hewett and Dan Robinson before any of the available free agents on the market. Every player has to have a 1st game to start a career. Jake Lloyd had his chance last season and look what happened. Heeney and Hewett will both be high quality, it not elite, players. It was almost a tossup between Lloyd and Robinson as to who should get the first go. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan would have a similar season if given the chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nankervis got a game or 2. He sort of reminds me of Will Minson, but a better kick. Perris should also be ready for a full preseason, given that he had LARS surgery. We shouldn't be adding mediocrity to our list when we have such promising talent waiting to get a shot at senior footy.
    There may be another Parker or Goodes at pick 37. The key is that it needs to be used.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    And not long back all and sundry on RWO were lauding our depth The panic button has been hit.
    Totally agree with you Nico. It seems like one poor game, admittedly in the most important game of the year and the doomsayers come out of the woodwork
    It's not that far removed from the list that most pundits lauded as the deepest in the AFL this season.

Thin is an interesting question

So are we thin in depth?.......... and if it is perceived we are thin in depth........... who is fat in depth to make us look thin?

Port - no
    North - no
    Bombers - no
    Pies - no
    Tigers - no
    Cats - no
    Freeo - no
    Carlton - no

-----------------------

So in 2014 we finished top of the table and lost in the GF......... so it is a fair argument we were the best team through out the season and second best in the finals

Now to the comings and goings of us vs Hawks:

* Our top 22 is minus Mal ie which would be close to the Hawks loosing one of Mitchell, Hodge or Lewis........but we do have the best young midfielder in the draft joining us and we also have some seriously emerging players in Tom Mitchell, B Jack and Zac Jones.........we have keepers in Harry and Lloyd who have only really played a season which is a massive base for 2015....

* Hawks top 22 is not minus any of their best players but in fact they have improved with Frawley and O'Rourke.........and pick 31

IN: James Frawley, Jonathan O�Rourke, draft picks 31, 49, 50 and 68
    OUT: Mitch Hallahan, Kyle Cheney, Luke Lowden, picks 19, 40, 43, 47, 59

------------------------

So in summary i would say we are just behind the Hawks but in a slightly better possie then the Cats and Freeo and Port

In conclusion i think we have advanced and I think our backline will be re energised and seriously scary !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

i meant to add I think Gary Rohan after a pre season and his experience in 2014 will be looking the goods for his swing role of HBF and Forward pocket or just motoring ahead off the HBF with Jones and co
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    We won't go over the 38 listed players that has become our norm however there's no reason that there won't be another delisting (Marsh and/or AJ). Either or both of these players could then be rookied if we saw fit...giving us the chance to pick up a Luke Thompson or Taylor Hunt, or using an extra pick in the draft.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Blog Entries
    The bonus we should have in Round 1 next year, is we should be at near full strength as there is not a lot of nip and tucks going on.
    Unlike 2014 where it took a while for the injured to return.

I'm excited about next year and maybe it is because we are "thin" (which I do not agree at this stage). It will force us to play some of the fringe players more often. How good could Mitchell be if he plays 15+ games next year like Cunningham and lloyd did this year? We have such a solid and experienced core to have and support the fresh new players into the top grade.

We maybe forced into a great position !

Warming the Bench
    I don't think you guys are Thin.... Your biggest issue is the unknown future of Alex Johnson, you add him back in the back half and play Tom Mitchell somewhere and you are looking very healthy.

I agree with some of the previous comments, get games into some of your younger brigade early in the year and you are a chance to unearth another Lloyd or Cunningham (Guys that effectively ended ROK's career) and all of a sudden your depth is fantastic.

The Swans (Like the Hawks, Port etc) advantage is they have great systems and fantastic leaders in place so young kids are given a role and mostly they seem to meet the demands required of them.

I would be increasing the list to 39 or 40 though if there is available funds and adding one more delisted player (or otherwise adding that experience player to the rookie list potentially) just in case your aging list has a season like they did in 2013 or the Hawks had in 2014.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Our list is so thin that 2 players good enough to get picked up by other clubs left us for lack of opportunities.

I would play Heeney, Hewett and Dan Robinson before any of the available free agents on the market. Every player has to have a 1st game to start a career. Jake Lloyd had his chance last season and look what happened. Heeney and Hewett will both be high quality, it not elite, players. It was almost a tossup between Lloyd and Robinson as to who should get the first go. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan would have a similar season if given the chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nankervis got a game or 2. He sort of reminds me of Will Minson, but a better kick. Perris should also be ready for a full preseason, given that he had LARS surgery. We shouldn't be adding mediocrity to our list when we have such promising talent waiting to get a shot at senior footy.
    I loved Nanka's first kick in the preseason. It went sideways after he took an amazing mark. I mean sideways, missed everything from 15 metres out. that was at Lakeside Oval. But I agree he has improved a lot since then LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Totally agree with you Nico. It seems like one poor game, admittedly in the most important game of the year and the doomsayers come out of the woodwork
    It's not that far removed from the list that most pundits lauded as the deepest in the AFL this season.
    I still believe our list is deep. Never believed anything else. I just believe there are a few senior players who shouldn't be getting as many matches as they have in the past. I also believe we have to stop trying to turn every outside mid into an inside mid or switch mid. Hannas, Jetts, Macca & Kizza are more outside players they get their own ball but are also good receivers and deliverers. They need to return to that strategy and Mitchell, Heeney, Hewett need to come in for games next season. They are all feeders not outside mids. I think an inside mid in todays game has to be strong and a natural inside mid with huge extraction ability, like joey, Parks, Tommy, Birdy, George & Isaac. Lloydy, Benny & Perris are outside/inside or Switch Mids.

Our outside players; Jetts, Hannas, Hiscox, Harry, BJ, Deano, Kizza, Macca & Robbo. We have tried turning every one of these into Switch Mids and in some cases inside mids but the truth is that never completely works.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I still believe our list is deep. Never believed anything else.........................
    Not sure how you ca believe that when the facts are that 23-26 are Mitchell, B Jack, Towers and Jones, 27 onwards will be debutants. As much as you personally rate B Jack, Towers, Jones etc, the real fact is they have not proven to be good AFL standard so we only go as far as 23 with proven AFL standard players.

That is not a deep list, that's a list full of hope and promise but many a promising player doesn't make the grade and right now we need to pray for few injuries and pray that the promising types can actually deliver.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12