Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: List is wafer thin

Veterans List

List is wafer thin

I don't believe any genuine contender has ever gone into a season wth such a thin list. The loss of Mal and the trade ban has us in a precarious position.

Just doing a best 22 and for simplicity putting Laidler into Mal's GF spot our reserves in rough order of senior games played to cover injuries are -

Mitchell
    B Jack
    Derickx
    Towers
    Jones

After that it is completely untried and maybe unready players, albeit some with a bit of hype around them.

This is hugely risky as just a handful of injuries could completely derail our season. Maybe we might grab a couple of delisted experienced players as insurance?

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    It's only 'wafer thin' based on age and experience, there's plenty of talent and ability.

These kids made up the core of our NEAFL team that outperformed the Giants, the Suns and the Lions in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    It's only 'wafer thin' based on age and experience, there's plenty of talent and ability.

These kids made up the core of our NEAFL team that outperformed the Giants, the Suns and the Lions in 2014.
    I think, despite 2015 very much being in the Premiership Window, there will be a continued push to get some of these fringe, very talented players, plenty more exposure at the top level. The key thing the club needs to work out over the next couple of seasons is, out of this bunch, which ones will make it, which ones won't.

I'd be surprised if we don't go for at least one delisted player - maybe Taylor Hunt, or perhaps someone like a Petrenko or dare I say it Mitch Robinson.

I agree with Conor though, its only age and experience that makes it 'wafer thin', not ability. I think we will be enforced probably, to do what a lot of other clubs do, and take a chance on youth a bit - in the hope that a few of them stand up and be counted and show that experience isn't everything.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I don't believe any genuine contender has ever gone into a season wth such a thin list. The loss of Mal and the trade ban has us in a precarious position.

Just doing a best 22 and for simplicity putting Laidler into Mal's GF spot our reserves in rough order of senior games played to cover injuries are -

Mitchell
    B Jack
    Derickx
    Towers
    Jones

After that it is completely untried and maybe unready players, albeit some with a bit of hype around them.

This is hugely risky as just a handful of injuries could completely derail our season. Maybe we might grab a couple of delisted experienced players as insurance?

I may be an optimist but I don't think its as thin as it looks when you factor in that most of the list is familiar with the club, the coaches and with what is expected of them. That also applies to Heeney and Hiscox who will not have much of a transition to go through.You also need to factor in that Rohan is likely to finally have a clear run with injury and therefore confidence, Towers (after stacking on an extra 4 kilos) was on the cusp of regular senior selection anyway and that Mitchell was probably the best player in the AFL competition playing in the reserves. BJ, Jones and Cunningham are likely to improve further, not to mention LLoyd (with his 90% disposal efficieny) as well.Derikx was OK last year and will be better with more coaching from the best ruck maestro in the comp.I think you also need to add Hewett and Marsh to the potential list of replacements, not to mention Xav (who has served his apprenticeship), Naismith , Aliir and Nankervis (who will be much stronger next year). Not to mention that with our one and only draft pick we might get a mature age recruit and the fact that there are a number of rookie vacancies to be filled.

Whilst a few injuries might have an impact, the spread of back up players is actually quite good and there aren't any positions we couldn't fill with someone of decent talent if not senior experience.

I also think that the fact that there are going to be only a small number of new players we will get off the a flying start to the season and not suffer from the slow start of recent years.

This is the most talented list overall that I can remember overall and I think that general improvement of existing players will compensate for the loss of Malceski. Onward and upward!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Pick up a few delisted free agents and well be fine

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I think, despite 2015 very much being in the Premiership Window, there will be a continued push to get some of these fringe, very talented players, plenty more exposure at the top level. The key thing the club needs to work out over the next couple of seasons is, out of this bunch, which ones will make it, which ones won't.

I'd be surprised if we don't go for at least one delisted player - maybe Taylor Hunt, or perhaps someone like a Petrenko or dare I say it Mitch Robinson.

I agree with Conor though, its only age and experience that makes it 'wafer thin', not ability. I think we will be enforced probably, to do what a lot of other clubs do, and take a chance on youth a bit - in the hope that a few of them stand up and be counted and show that experience isn't everything.
    I don't think there will be any delisted free agents. We have seven senior vacancies. Three picks are committed to the academy. Three rookie upgrades have occurred. We have one spot available and pick 37 to play with. You can use that spot on a delisted free agent, but I would hate to pass on a decent pick like 37.

I don't think the Swans will increase from 38 senior players, so it's only pick 37 to work with.

I would laugh if we won a premiership in 2015 with our existing players. The AFL would need to brainstorm a new rule.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Swans pretty much have to. They are all surprisingly good players.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

After buy Buddy and Tip top, I would suggest that we had no other option that be quiet for a few years anyway.

Mitch Robinson could be handy however Buddy does not need a bad influence around him in Sydney. I feel that the baggage that would come with him... puts a line through his name..

If Goodesy or Shaw had retired? Could or would we have kept Membrey and Biggs? Our best reserves players are targets and that is just a fact of life. We need to ensure we have good quality player replace and keep the list moving forward.

Bit like Freo we have the team to go another yard and just have to do it!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I don't think there will be any delisted free agents. We have seven senior vacancies. Three picks are committed to the academy. Three rookie upgrades have occurred. We have one spot available and pick 37 to play with. You can use that spot on a delisted free agent, but I would hate to pass on a decent pick like 37.

I don't think the Swans will increase from 38 senior players, so it's only pick 37 to work with.

I would laugh if we won a premiership in 2015 with our existing players. The AFL would need to brainstorm a new rule.
    That's why we have to!
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    And not long back all and sundry on RWO were lauding our depth.

The panic button has been hit.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    After buy Buddy and Tip top, I would suggest that we had no other option that be quiet for a few years anyway.

Mitch Robinson could be handy however Buddy does not need a bad influence around him in Sydney. I feel that the baggage that would come with him... puts a line through his name..

If Goodesy or Shaw had retired? Could or would we have kept Membrey and Biggs? Our best reserves players are targets and that is just a fact of life. We need to ensure we have good quality player replace and keep the list moving forward.

Bit like Freo we have the team to go another yard and just have to do it!
    Agree.

If Goodes and Shaw had retired would the AFL have slapped a trade ban on us? Maybe that would have given them a bigger reason to do so. If they hadn't put a trade ban would we have bothered to fast track the likes of Xavier Richards? I think that is a monty. Then again Johno might come good and Rohan might get to another level with a big pre season. The world is full of what if's. We go with what we have and expect that there will be genuine improvement from 2nd and 3rd year players then we are competitive at the top again.

I am sure the club is saying all that right now is out of our control, so lets get on with it and not sweat about it.

Our list is so thin that 2 players good enough to get picked up by other clubs left us for lack of opportunities.

I would play Heeney, Hewett and Dan Robinson before any of the available free agents on the market. Every player has to have a 1st game to start a career. Jake Lloyd had his chance last season and look what happened. Heeney and Hewett will both be high quality, it not elite, players. It was almost a tossup between Lloyd and Robinson as to who should get the first go. I wouldn't be surprised if Dan would have a similar season if given the chance.

It wouldn't surprise me if Nankervis got a game or 2. He sort of reminds me of Will Minson, but a better kick. Perris should also be ready for a full preseason, given that he had LARS surgery. We shouldn't be adding mediocrity to our list when we have such promising talent waiting to get a shot at senior footy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast