Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Annual Player & Coach Merry-Go-Round

$350 a game.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    $350 a game.
    At least he will get whatever he is promised there

Quote Originally Posted by Nuttsy View Post
    At least he will get whatever he is promised there
    I am struggling with this. I do not understand how SHE can be playing additional players when I understood the primary reason they dropped out of NEAFL was cost overruns and Club Debt. The rumours say they are keeping their playing list, which must have cost, but can still go out and pay for more players ? Who is funding the final years of players on the SHE list or can they afford to meet those payments and acquire more players ?

I guess like all of the popular detective shows the answer will be found in the money trail.

Merson will be a loss to the Dragons. Maybe the SHE intend to buy Premiership in 2015, after being found just off the pace in NEAFL ?

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by often_confused View Post
    I am struggling with this. I do not understand how SHE can be playing additional players when I understood the primary reason they dropped out of NEAFL was cost overruns and Club Debt. The rumours say they are keeping their playing list, which must have cost, but can still go out and pay for more players ? Who is funding the final years of players on the SHE list or can they afford to meet those payments and acquire more players ?

I guess like all of the popular detective shows the answer will be found in the money trail.

Merson will be a loss to the Dragons. Maybe the SHE intend to buy Premiership in 2015, after being found just off the pace in NEAFL ?

I agree how can they be in debt but still offer other players $350 a game? who is funding the debt then? surely they cannot afford to obtain all the players and go and approach others whilst they are in debt?

seems all good to be true to me?

Quote Originally Posted by often_confused View Post
    ... I understood the primary reason [ECE] dropped out of NEAFL was cost overruns and Club Debt....
    OC, it's a big call to make this claim - I haven't heard it anywhere else but from you, and it's not my understanding of why they are bailing from NEAFL. But perhaps it is.
    I'd be interested to know where you picked up your info.

Warming the Bench
    As much as I love a good rumor from Saviour, I would take what he says with a grain of salt. I think he will find that Karl is actually training with and trying to make the list of 35 with Sydney Uni NEAFL and I have no doubt he will. He has committed to play with the Eagles if he doesn't get a game though but I doubt we would see him.

As far as I am aware he enjoyed his time at St.George but he didn't enjoy the 120km round trip to training a few times a week. We would be more than happy to have him back where he played his junior and U18s footy prior to him moving to Perth. In fact we thought he was going to play NEAFL for us last year but the offer he got from St.George was too good to pass up and we wished him all the best. I could be wrong though Saviour so feel free to correct me.

We are also happy to welcome back other 6-7 other returning players who have returned now that we are back in the Sydney competition.
    Last edited by Tim Freedman; 2nd December 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    I agree how can they be in debt but still offer other players $350 a game? who is funding the debt then? surely they cannot afford to obtain all the players and go and approach others whilst they are in debt?

seems all good to be true to me?
    Looks like it's time to return to this Message Board after a pleasant six year absence.

In the years before East Coast won their three Premierships in a row, I needed to defend the Eagles on here numerous times against outlandish, and slanderous allegations. None of which ever turned out to be true. Just search for threads under the name of Oscar to satisfy yourself.

To those who have questioned how we could return our senior team to the Sydney AFL with debts galore and still retain players and attract new ones, let me tell you how that happens.

Firstly I am not permitted to tell you the amount of debt run up by the previous Board of Directors. Nor can I reveal how it happened. But the incoming Board under my leadership as President have worked damn hard to get the Club back into a position where it can compete with pride back in a competition it perhaps should never have left.

The Club was 99% dead in the water but a group of dedicated people put their nose to the grindstone to ensure that AFL footy stayed alive in the Norwest. A further group of people, commonly known as NEAFL players, were all given every opportunity to play football elsewhere. Some have chosen to train at Sydney Uni in an attempt to continue their NEAFL careers. We have encouraged them to do that. Some have decided to play elsewhere in Sydney, whilst others have retired, or moved interstate / overseas.

The balance have chosen to remain with the Eagles to play AFL Sydney footy in 2015. And for the right reasons. It is definitely not money, let me reassure all readers. We couldn't possibly replicate the player cost of the NEAFL years and even if we could, we would not do so within the Sydney AFL. We do have some dignity.

To drag Karl Merson's name into this thread and suggest that he is receiving $350 a match is as disgraceful as it is dishonest. I see that Tim Freedman has correctly pointed out tonight that Karl is returning to his own club, but we hope for his sake that he makes the Sydney Uni NEAFL squad of 35. If he doesn't, he wants to play with East Coast as the new rules surrounding the Syd Uni NEAFL club now permit.

Karl, like those former NEAFL players who have chosen to stay an Eagle, simply like the joint and the people involved. Is it a crime to build a club culture that encourages people to stay? That culture nearly died during the three years in the NEAFL, but the moment it was announced that the East Coast Eagles were being resurrected, life instantly became fun again at Bruce Purser Reserve. Players contacted us to find out what it was all about.

Whilst the Sydney Hills Eagles have died and gone to heaven, it doesn't mean that we regret what happened in 2012, 2013 & 2014. "If we didnt have a go we would have never, never known" is a line that is very apt in our case. We learned heaps from it, but at the same time it crippled us financially.

One contributor on here helpfully suggested that it would be dearer to compete in the Sydney AFL than the NEAFL given the removal of AFL subsidies and transport funding. I'm not quite sure how your maths arrived at that figure but I sincerely promise you it is totally incorrect. We will be competing in 2015 responsibly and well within our means, but saddled with payment plans to creditors that will take years to fulfil.

There is still lots more to be done to restore East Coast back to what it was pre NEAFL and stories put around here on Red & White Online don't help at all. Particularly when there is not a shred of truth associated with any statement uttered so far.

We are really looking forward to a fun and enjoyable 2015 playing against all Clubs in all our allotted Divisions. We hope that we are always competitive and can provide quality entertainment for fans of AFL football in Sydney.

With best wishes,

Peter Physick
    President
    East Coast Eagles AFL Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Looks like it's time to return to this Message Board after a pleasant six year absence.

In the years before East Coast won their three Premierships in a row, I needed to defend the Eagles on here numerous times against outlandish, and slanderous allegations. None of which ever turned out to be true. Just search for threads under the name of Oscar to satisfy yourself.

To those who have questioned how we could return our senior team to the Sydney AFL with debts galore and still retain players and attract new ones, let me tell you how that happens.

Firstly I am not permitted to tell you the amount of debt run up by the previous Board of Directors. Nor can I reveal how it happened. But the incoming Board under my leadership as President have worked damn hard to get the Club back into a position where it can compete with pride back in a competition it perhaps should never have left.

The Club was 99% dead in the water but a group of dedicated people put their nose to the grindstone to ensure that AFL footy stayed alive in the Norwest. A further group of people, commonly known as NEAFL players, were all given every opportunity to play football elsewhere. Some have chosen to train at Sydney Uni in an attempt to continue their NEAFL careers. We have encouraged them to do that. Some have decided to play elsewhere in Sydney, whilst others have retired, or moved interstate / overseas.

The balance have chosen to remain with the Eagles to play AFL Sydney footy in 2015. And for the right reasons. It is definitely not money, let me reassure all readers. We couldn't possibly replicate the player cost of the NEAFL years and even if we could, we would not do so within the Sydney AFL. We do have some dignity.

To drag Karl Merson's name into this thread and suggest that he is receiving $350 a match is as disgraceful as it is dishonest. I see that Tim Freedman has correctly pointed out tonight that Karl is returning to his own club, but we hope for his sake that he makes the Sydney Uni NEAFL squad of 35. If he doesn't, he wants to play with East Coast as the new rules surrounding the Syd Uni NEAFL club now permit.

Karl, like those former NEAFL players who have chosen to stay an Eagle, simply like the joint and the people involved. Is it a crime to build a club culture that encourages people to stay? That culture nearly died during the three years in the NEAFL, but the moment it was announced that the East Coast Eagles were being resurrected, life instantly became fun again at Bruce Purser Reserve. Players contacted us to find out what it was all about.

Whilst the Sydney Hills Eagles have died and gone to heaven, it doesn't mean that we regret what happened in 2012, 2013 & 2014. "If we didnt have a go we would have never, never known" is a line that is very apt in our case. We learned heaps from it, but at the same time it crippled us financially.

One contributor on here helpfully suggested that it would be dearer to compete in the Sydney AFL than the NEAFL given the removal of AFL subsidies and transport funding. I'm not quite sure how your maths arrived at that figure but I sincerely promise you it is totally incorrect. We will be competing in 2015 responsibly and well within our means, but saddled with payment plans to creditors that will take years to fulfil.

There is still lots more to be done to restore East Coast back to what it was pre NEAFL and stories put around here on Red & White Online don't help at all. Particularly when there is not a shred of truth associated with any statement uttered so far.

We are really looking forward to a fun and enjoyable 2015 playing against all Clubs in all our allotted Divisions. We hope that we are always competitive and can provide quality entertainment for fans of AFL football in Sydney.

With best wishes,

Peter Physick
    President
    Well said Peter. Always easy for un-educated people to comment when they dont know the full story. Sour Grapes from Mudge after promising the world and delivering an Atlas once again. It is fine to chase every young player in Sydney and tell them all that they will play seniors and get paid money or travel$$ but to then not pay up is ordinary to say the least. The younger generation are quite easily manipulated to leaving their own clubs with these shallow promises but hopefully they are starting to realise that the grass isnt always greener

Tim it would be a shame if the AFL didn't honor your staying neafl players contracts. It must be hard on the players but good on them for staying to build your culture for nothing. It also says a lot about your coaching Tim. Didn't understand how bad the situation is with your debts. P.S. it may be beneficial for you to communicate with Peter about the offerings you and your offsider are making to players. Don't you think? Makes your chairman look silly imo.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Tim it would be a shame if the AFL didn't honor your staying neafl players contracts. It must be hard on the players but good on them for staying to build your culture for nothing. It also says a lot about your coaching Tim. Didn't understand how bad the situation is with your debts. P.S. it may be beneficial for you to communicate with Peter about the offerings you and your offsider are making to players. Don't you think? Makes your chairman look silly imo.
    - I do get a laugh out of you every time Saviour. I will let you in on a secret. I've never offered and never will offer a player anything other than an opportunity to play footy. I leave all negotiations to the people who are authorised to negotiate. IMO coaches shouldn't get involved in anything other than coaching. I'm more than comfortable with my own credibility and integrity in this area. Unless of course you mean the pie and can of coke that I offered a young bloke close to your heart that lives around the corner from the ground. But we don't need to disclose that do we?

Regular in the Side
    Oscar, I wasn't trying to be helpful but I wasn't being sarcastic either.

I'll have a crack at elaborating so I can be corrected.

Expenses incurred by a footy club would be: affiliation fees, insurance, umpire payments, coaching, medical, player payments, travel, equipment and ground hire. I have ignored things like the canteen as this should be a money earner.

I would assume that all of the above excluding travel and player payments should be about the same whether it's the NEAFL or the SydneyAFL. Maybe the medical and coaching commitments are greater but no deal breaker.

I assume the club received a grant of between $50k and $100k from the NEAFL which would at least cover travel expenses if these aren't covered elsewhere. Which leaves us with the biggest expense which is player payments that I guess amount to over $150k.

But reports are ECE are hoping to keep most of their current list for next year. So if you disregard player payments from the equation I see the overall difference of expenses as minimal. If you don't spend $100k on travel then you may be ahead.

But this is based on one premise. That you are also not forking out for a PD team as well. In this case the expenditure would be double. However, if ECE choose to drop out of PD instead of NEAFL the situation may be very different which is the point I made.

But hey I'm happy to be enlightened. I don't think any of the comments on this forum have been damaging to ECE. In fact, the prospect of ECE folding is disastrous and though most people "love to hate" them I don't think anyone would find any joy in this predicament for such a well run establishment which other clubs would previously look at with envy(Humphrey excluded).

Well said Oscar,

Lets hope one Saviour can concentrate on his coaching a bit more and deliver on what he preaches about being a great coach. Surely St George will grow tired of him soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post

With best wishes,

Peter Physick
    President

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast