Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Annual Player & Coach Merry-Go-Round

Almost Football Legend

The Annual Player & Coach Merry-Go-Round

Been a bit quiet since the season finished, but clubs are busy working their recruiting networks....

Looks like Wests have hit the ground running; snapping up Swans' 2005 premiership player Paul Bevan as a player & assistant coach. He'll be a good signing for them. After returning to the finals this year, I'm sure there's a spring in the step and plenty of optimism about 2015 in the Magpie camp.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Conway won't be playing for Wests in 2015 - Travelling OS

The big impact is going to be the return of the Eagles to the Premier Division and what will be the makeup of their playing squad ?

Chatting to an old head from Purser at the Phelan, apparently they will lose very little in terms of players, most of the NEAFL playing group are excited about the move back to Prems. James Dwyer returns to Sydney after a few years in the Essendon District Premier Division and will be a very handy inclusion.

Camden seem to be knocking on a lot of doors at other clubs as well, spreading the net pretty far from all reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekay View Post
    Chatting to an old head from Purser at the Phelan, apparently they will lose very little in terms of players, most of the NEAFL playing group are excited about the move back to Prems. James Dwyer returns to Sydney after a few years in the Essendon District Premier Division and will be a very handy inclusion.

Camden seem to be knocking on a lot of doors at other clubs as well, spreading the net pretty far from all reports.
    Pekay,
    we can only hope that your informant at Baulko has got it wrong.
    They were too good for our SFL comp after the three-peat, they rose a level to be in NEAFL1, then they rose again to be in NEAFL2, and they were damned good last year in the five games or so that I saw.

Now you say that they will come back to the SFL, pretty much intact, and I'm thinking that won't be much fun for anyone, least of all them.

I think that Milani has left, and I'm betting that Luke Jerico would too. As would Eckerman (you might travel from Port Macquarie and back each week to play in the NEAFL but you'd be unhinged to do that to play in the SFL !)

Then,of course, their 2014 PD team drops down to Div 1, sort of intact as well, and smashes that.

I hope for all of our sakes that they get some serious led in their saddle bags so everyone else gets a turn
    Last edited by justabaraker; 29th October 2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

Warming the Bench
    I'm tipping St.George to be the big improver with Terry Mudge heading into his 5th year. They have fallen at the hurdle 2 years in a row and are primed for the next step. I am hearing that they are casting the net far and wide to add some experience to their young playing list.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    I'm tipping St.George to be the big improver with Terry Mudge heading into his 5th year. They have fallen at the hurdle 2 years in a row and are primed for the next step. I am hearing that they are casting the net far and wide to add some experience to their young playing list.
    Looks to me as if Sydney Uni might be rolling along nicely too. If both Pekay and TimF are right, then we're in for a cracker season in PD.
    The pressure will be on Manly and Penno to step up a gear if that's the case.

Roll on 2015 !!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    I thought when you got whacked over the knuckles for being on here mid season and not focusing on your NEAFL team would have stopped you from all this. You're coaching Sydney Hills PD next yea right? I hear you're not to happy with approaches to your disgruntled players? P.S. It's a shame that your offsiders rang our players mid finals about next year. Interesting to watch what you really stand for when the shoe is on the other foot. At least our coach waited until the season was over.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I thought when you got whacked over the knuckles for being on here mid season and not focusing on your NEAFL team would have stopped you from all this. You're coaching Sydney Hills PD next yea right? I hear you're not to happy with approaches to your disgruntled players? P.S. It's a shame that your offsiders rang our players mid finals about next year. Interesting to watch what you really stand for when the shoe is on the other foot. At least our coach waited until the season was over.
    Can anyone shed some light on the current off field circumstances at SHE or ECE? You mentioned disgruntled players? Are you saying they are unhappy moving back to PD or is there something bigger?

Interesting to read about the new restrictions on Sydney Uni PD - next year they are not allowed to recruit from "outside" and are not allowed to pay their players.
    Not quite sure what that means for them but it puts them in a category of their own, outside the normal "marketplace" of picking up players.

It's an interesting path that they have embarked upon and I can't see any way back for them...but then, I couldn't see any way back for Baulko either, and events have shown that I'm not a very good judge.

Almost Football Legend
    Effectively Sydney Uni will be running a weekly Sydney AFL rep team.
    I think the other clubs will like this model - any fringe NEAFL players will stay at their club rather than be playing for Sydney Uni Premier Division. And that should also end any concerns of their Premier Division team being stacked when the NEAFL team have the bye.
    I doubt Sydney Uni are particularly thrilled with it, but I'm sure they'll find a way to make it work.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Interesting to read about the new restrictions on Sydney Uni PD - next year they are not allowed to recruit from "outside" and are not allowed to pay their players.
    Not quite sure what that means for them but it puts them in a category of their own, outside the normal "marketplace" of picking up players.

It's an interesting path that they have embarked upon and I can't see any way back for them...but then, I couldn't see any way back for Baulko either, and events have shown that I'm not a very good judge.
    I don't think PD players get paid anyway, but I could be wrong.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast