Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meet Isaac Heeney

Goes up to 11
    If he's as good as projected, we must give him plenty of game time next year. Sounds like he'd be an ideal sub, or perhaps time in the forward line? We do have a pretty stacked midfield, inc Mitchell who should become a regular, although McVeigh might drop back to cover the loss of Mal...

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    If he's as good as projected, we must give him plenty of game time next year. Sounds like he'd be an ideal sub, or perhaps time in the forward line? We do have a pretty stacked midfield, inc Mitchell who should become a regular, although McVeigh might drop back to cover the loss of Mal...
    I think he could do very well in the forward line next year. He's a good size, he marks well, he kicks well enough, he can create for others, and he will provide the defensive tackling and chasing too. He could be a bit like Jude was a couple of years back. And he might be able to rotate through the middle for short stints too.

The problem comes in terms of fitting him into the best 22. He probably will be good enough to be "best 22" except that we might have another 22 (or more) ahead of him in the queue. If that makes any kind of sense...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think he could do very well in the forward line next year. He's a good size, he marks well, he kicks well enough, he can create for others, and he will provide the defensive tackling and chasing too. He could be a bit like Jude was a couple of years back. And he might be able to rotate through the middle for short stints too.

The problem comes in terms of fitting him into the best 22. He probably will be good enough to be "best 22" except that we might have another 22 (or more) ahead of him in the queue. If that makes any kind of sense...
    Yes. I know what you mean. And we shouldn't forget George Hewett, who often slips out of the midfield calculations. I believe he missed most of last year's preseason and still was one of our best reserves players. With a full preseason he could be right up there in contention with the likes of Heeney, Mitchell and Jones.

Suspended by the MRP
    So we have too many mids, a nice forward line BUT our staple for many years, our defense, aging and perhaps our achilles heel and cant do anything about because of the "feels" downs at AFL house towards us. Great.

Xavier and Aliir should not be underestimated ...........ive watched them a few times thru 2014 live and i couldnt be happier with their progress

Both these kids will level jump in 2015 in physical ability

I have no issue with their game awareness and skill and lets face the facts..........they are getting opportunities a few times a week to match up on Buddy, Tip, Goodes and Reid......it aint bad pre snr experience
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Xavier and Aliir should not be underestimated ...........ive watched them a few times thru 2014 live and i couldnt be happier with their progress

Both these kids will level jump in 2015 in physical ability

I have no issue with their game awareness and skill and lets face the facts..........they are getting opportunities a few times a week to match up on Buddy, Tip, Goodes and Reid......it aint bad pre snr experience
    Exactly AG. They get the best awareness any KD can get. The other thing is they both read the play so well and are both very agile. I think we need to look at another HB since we lost Biggs. Hewett, Heeney, Mitchell will all get game time I believe. But I also believe we need to rethink the mids. Our mids output has been poor for a top four side as we are ranked on average 9th for clearances and 7th for stoppages. The coaches need to rethink the rebound footy strategy. In other words if we win more ball out of the clearances and stoppages and then deliver with accuracy we will win premierships. to do this we need players in the mids that are natural extractors giving the ball fluently to natural outside mids who deliver well. Heeney is certainly a player that can play extractor or outside and he delivers well, same with Hewett.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Nice write up in the Maitland Mercury about Heeney:

Heeney adds feather to city�s sporting bow | The Maitland Mercury

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Exactly AG. They get the best awareness any KD can get. The other thing is they both read the play so well and are both very agile. I think we need to look at another HB since we lost Biggs. Hewett, Heeney, Mitchell will all get game time I believe. But I also believe we need to rethink the mids. Our mids output has been poor for a top four side as we are ranked on average 9th for clearances and 7th for stoppages. The coaches need to rethink the rebound footy strategy. In other words if we win more ball out of the clearances and stoppages and then deliver with accuracy we will win premierships. to do this we need players in the mids that are natural extractors giving the ball fluently to natural outside mids who deliver well. Heeney is certainly a player that can play extractor or outside and he delivers well, same with Hewett.
    Precisely. I for one can't understand why we don't do as you suggested. Feel that we've wasted talent lately with stupid strategies.

Also, any strategies employed should be geared towards short term success, because it doesn't get any easier than having Franklin, Tippett, Kennedy, Parker, Hannebery etc. Strategies that take until Tip's retiremement and a 32-year-old Bud will not be helpful in terms of capitalising on the current list.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

who will make way for Heeney, Mitchell and or Zac Jones in 2015 ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Shaw, malceski, Goodes? Bird? They would be my first 4,

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Bit rough on Shaw that you've listed him ahead of Malceski!

Other than Mal, all these players are still well ahead of any youngster, based on their 2014 seasons. Even Shaw played some terrific football at times last year. While time might catch up with him, as it did for ROK and LRT last year, at this point it is still his spot in the team to lose. Bird had his best year in the RWO to date, while Goodes got significantly better as the year went on and we know how good even close to his best is.

The most likely way doors will open is via injuries. They are almost as certain as death and income taxes.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Bird again. He and Jake should have swapped places before the GF.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast