Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So i re-watched the first 2 qrts of the grand final

Long Term Injury List
    In our family we consider ourselves Swans supporters not fans. I'm not sure how the distinction came about but I guess it is from my elderly Dad's way of thinking about the club and the team. In his eyes you support the team through thick & thin, good times & bad times. You go to games regardless of the weather or seating conditions, you just go. There is no jumping on and off bandwagons, threats to microwave memberships, etc. He sees a day at the football as an event. Win lose or draw he always finds something positive to come out of the day. (Yes, he even found a positive out of the GF..... 'it will give the players a chance to show their true character when they come out next year')

During the season he comes over every Monday after the game and watches the replay with my son. It was no different with the Grand Final.

We have now watched all of the games from 2014 again, losses and all. Maybe we are a bit weird but that's how we are. Our feelings after the GF were not anger or embarrassment. We just felt sad for the players. No one goes out to play a game like they did. It just happened.
    Whether they can pick themselves up again after that won't make one bit of difference to how we support the club.

To those who haven't watched the GF because they are still angry, I suggest force yourself to watch at least some of it, or watch the other games from the season. It can be cathartic at best and at worst you can have a good yell at the TV and let out some of the frustration!

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    In our family we consider ourselves Swans supporters not fans. I'm not sure how the distinction came about but I guess it is from my elderly Dad's way of thinking about the club and the team. In his eyes you support the team through thick & thin, good times & bad times. You go to games regardless of the weather or seating conditions, you just go. There is no jumping on and off bandwagons, threats to microwave memberships, etc. He sees a day at the football as an event. Win lose or draw he always finds something positive to come out of the day. (Yes, he even found a positive out of the GF..... 'it will give the players a chance to show their true character when they come out next year')

During the season he comes over every Monday after the game and watches the replay with my son. It was no different with the Grand Final.

We have now watched all of the games from 2014 again, losses and all. Maybe we are a bit weird but that's how we are. Our feelings after the GF were not anger or embarrassment. We just felt sad for the players. No one goes out to play a game like they did. It just happened.
    Whether they can pick themselves up again after that won't make one bit of difference to how we support the club.

To those who haven't watched the GF because they are still angry, I suggest force yourself to watch at least some of it, or watch the other games from the season. It can be cathartic at best and at worst you can have a good yell at the TV and let out some of the frustration!
    Great post. Thanks for sharing Baskin.
    Swannies for life!

On the Rookie List

I tend to disagree with this philosophy, as positivity for the sake of positivity is destructive and meaningless, plus you don't want to become a 'yes man' robot and nod your head to everything no matter what. However, each to their own, and it's good that the Swans have staunch supporters, but there is a glaring irony to saying 'it will give the players a chance to show their true character next year' etc. What is one's own true character if they sit around watching football all day, judging the true character of football players? Balance and individual, critical thinking is paramount, IMHO.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    I tend to disagree with this philosophy, as positivity for the sake of positivity is destructive and meaningless, plus you don't want to become a 'yes man' robot and nod your head to everything no matter what. However, each to their own, and it's good that the Swans have staunch supporters, but there is a glaring irony to saying 'it will give the players a chance to show their true character next year' etc. What is one's own true character if they sit around watching football all day, judging the true character of football players? Balance and individual, critical thinking is paramount, IMHO.
    Wow Bloodthirsty, I think you may have read me & my family wrong. Firstly, we don't sit around watching football all day. My 85yo Dad still works, I work & care for a disabled son, who also works. Most weeks the only TV I watch is the replay of the game. Secondly, we are far from yes men. We dissect the games just like every one else, sometimes more than necessary. Thirdly I said the players will have a chance to show their character, not that we would be judging it. (Suggest that's what you have just done to me).
    Finally, while my Dad always looks for a positive I didn't suggest he doesn't also see negatives, he just doesn't let the negatives take over his life. If he did he probably would have given up on the Swans even before they were sent to Sydney. Believe me, you couldn't find a person with more "balance and individual, critical thinking" as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post

It has ruined that entire season for me. I can't watch any of the other games. I used to watch fox footy when there was nothing much to do over summer hols and there wasnt anything else on but i simply cant watch any games from 2014
    I must agree. And that's not taking away from some of the superb days at the footy I had watching our team win in 2014. But its such a sour aftertaste really - not because we lost, but the way we lost. I look up at the wall a few feet away from my computer where I have the 2012 Premiership Panorama and think - where was the spirit of that day in 2014?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Have you watched the game since?

The umpiring was pathetic in the first qrt.

No one stole anything, thats just an insulting narrative that victorians love to throw around. We won 2012 fair and square and deserved it.
    I can't stand the 'stolen' Premiership rubbish about 2012. We were the best team on the most important day in 2012 - there was nothing lucky, stolen or otherwise about the 2012 Premiership. Our greatest Premiership I think - even surpassing the drought breaking premiership of 2005.

As for the narrative of 2014 being 'justice' or whatever else for 2012, only way to fix it is for us to earn 'redemption' in 2015. I want the wees and poos to lose every game, I can't stand their fans, but it would be beyond glorious for us to beat them in the big one 12 months later and gain ultimate revenge for this year's disaster. Indeed, in my little red book, where I write down my thoughts on every game I attend live in person, my final sentence when writing about this year's grand final was. 'The response to the events of today will truly show just how great the culture of our footy club is - if the bloods culture is all it is made out to be, the hurt will not be absolved, and the players will stop at nothing, until there are red and white ribbons are tied to the Cup in 12 months time.'
    Last edited by mcs; 16th November 2014 at 05:16 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Great post Baskin - but I can't find the will to watch the 2006 Grand Final again (indeed I've never watched a replay), and we were so close that day. It'll be decades before I can see myself even thinking about watching a replay of this year's disaster. Maybe I'll make it a 20 year cut-off at which I have to watch it. Which means I'll need to watch the 1996 grand final again in a couple of years time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123