Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More stadium talk

More stadium talk

Seems like a lot of powerbrokers are at odds over homebush's development.

Future of Sydney�s ANZ Stadium under threat

"Meanwhile, NRL boss Dave Smith has hardly been a vocal supporter of ANZ, while the Swans are almost certain to move games back to the SCG beyond 2016."
    Using Tapatalk

Suspended by the MRP
    I think a bigger issue would be Mike Fitzpatrick and his massive COI with ANZ stadium. But hey thats one of the many COI in the AFL.

Wow I didn't know that about Fitzpatrick and ANZ stadium... Mike Fitzpatrick’s tricky ANZ stadium conflict of interest | Crikey
    Using Tapatalk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by churry View Post
    Wow I didn't know that about Fitzpatrick and ANZ stadium... Mike Fitzpatrick�s tricky ANZ stadium conflict of interest | Crikey
    That's a very interesting article, written five years ago and quite prophetic in the quoted comments about soccer. It doesn't augur well for the Giants either, let alone Mike Fitzpatrick.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Happy and I know it
    Another article about the propsed changes to ANZ: http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/...-1227126339600
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I think our contract runs out at the end of next year anyway, doesn't it?
    If the swans were as smart as what I think they are, they'd do away with ANZ all together.
    As convenient as it is for me to get there, I like the cauldron atmosphere of the SCG.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I think our contract runs out at the end of next year anyway, doesn't it?
    If the swans were as smart as what I think they are, they'd do away with ANZ all together.
    As convenient as it is for me to get there, I like the cauldron atmosphere of the SCG.
    That's the problem - the Swans clearly want out of the arrangement, but with the Fitzpatrick conflict of interest in play, there's still a risk the AFL will sign another contract to our detriment. If so Swans management will have no choice but to continue the "we're happy to play there" line as has been the case in the last few years.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    That's the problem - the Swans clearly want out of the arrangement, but with the Fitzpatrick conflict of interest in play, there's still a risk the AFL will sign another contract to our detriment. If so Swans management will have no choice but to continue the "we're happy to play there" line as has been the case in the last few years.
    This. It's not the Swans' call.

The problem with the negotiating of stadium deals is that if you commit to one operator and suddenly the other operator is defunct you face the real possibility of a huge price rise in the new deal. SCG has been the home of the swans for a long time now but when the World Cup was touted all the stadiums, including the SCG Trust were happy to jump ship. There is no way Soccer could fill the SCG for 'A' league matches except maybe the local derby. But internationals, friendlies, Asian championships etc would be a definite risk to our tenure. But the point is do we want to use ANZ? If it is redesigned it could be a good stadium, especially if done under modern overhanging terraces so the view would be intense even from the top. Enclosing the stadium would also have huge benefits in the years to come, not only for sport but as an entertainment venue. I hate ANZ at this time due to the terrible view from Red Zone. but if the stadium were redesigned on modern grounds I would have no problem going there even though it is a long way for me.

Agreed wolfie

My concern is still the condition of the ground, if they can sort that out as well as improve the seating issues I'm happy.
    I sat up in the premium members area for the prelim and I have to admit I can see why Barry likes it there. Pity the view & facilities at the rest of the venue falls short.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    If it is redesigned it could be a good stadium, especially if done under modern overhanging terraces so the view would be intense even from the top. Enclosing the stadium would also have huge benefits in the years to come, not only for sport but as an entertainment venue. I hate ANZ at this time due to the terrible view from Red Zone. but if the stadium were redesigned on modern grounds I would have no problem going there even though it is a long way for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    My concern is still the condition of the ground, if they can sort that out as well as improve the seating issues I'm happy.
    I sat up in the premium members area for the prelim and I have to admit I can see why Barry likes it there. Pity the view & facilities at the rest of the venue falls short.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like anything with the top tiers will change. From looking at the video nothing on the top tier will change. The major changes with the stands looks like there will be 2 tiers at both ends of the ground now and all the bottom stands move closer into the ground when soccer or rugby is played so that it is entirely enclosed around the whole ground. So the surface will have to be even worse than it is currently as more turf will be covered and removed each time all the stands move in towards the center...
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast