Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Media reports re: Swans and Buddy

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I've had issues with Hawthorn fans in the past (2012 GF was shocking) but what Cartman says is very true, every club has them - including ours! I wish I had recorded some of the crap I heard OUR fans in SYDNEY dish out to Buddy early in the year before he found his groove, not much different to what I heard Hawks fans give him and I attended all three Hawks V Swans games this year.
    In no game that i attended this year did i hear any swan fan abuse buddy, not a single one. Banter yes, like questioning how much he is getting paid, but no abuse at all. By contrast the stuff coming out of hawk fans both at the game and online is just outright pathetic, beyond feral tbh. They attack his character, his family, his girlfriend. everything is fair game to them.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    You miss the point a bit in saying Hawthorn is a desirable suburb. Only about 1 to 2% of Hawk fans come from Hawthorn. for a more real look at where their fans come from see Waverly, Mt Waverly, Croydon, Ringwood, Box Hill, Mornington Peninsula, The Eastern Suburbs basically but not North East. sure there are some old diehards around auburn, Glenferrie & camberwell etc. But those areas were never upmarket suburbs like Hawthorn. They were based at Glenferrie so that gives you an idea of their original supporter base. Very working class, similar to Collingwood & Richmond except the Greeks took over Richmond, while Glenferrie and surrounds maintained their white working class/lower middle class roots. From what i can read the first player of multicultural background, the only one of his era, was Richard Abikhair in 1934. Frank Samblebe ( German) 1937, 4 in the 1940's, 3 in 1950's, you see what I mean. They didn't exactly have many Indigenous players either for a long time even though the first Indigenous player to play for the Hawks was Cyril collard in 1957-58. so the ethnicity of the area was esentially as I say white lower middle class/working class.

As other posters have said many of the Hawks fans are the Tradie Elite, rough as guts but got a quid.
    As i said Hawk fans are Cashed up bogans and yep most of them are high end tradies. I have a friend who is a hawk fan and he lives out in berwick in one of the new estates. All his mates are hawk fans as well and all in the tradie industry. All of them are into big cars, massive unsustainable mcmansions, all have the latest gadgets and massive TV.

But you do get a lot of yuppies who moved into hawthorn and adopted the hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    In no game that i attended this year did i hear any swan fan abuse buddy, not a single one. Banter yes, like questioning how much he is getting paid, but no abuse at all. By contrast the stuff coming out of hawk fans both at the game and online is just outright pathetic, beyond feral tbh. They attack his character, his family, his girlfriend. everything is fair game to them.

I was at the preseason game against the Eagles and I not only heard but was angry about some of the @@@@ that Swans fans were dishing out. The thing that made me more angry was that the guys, ghey were all men in their twenties, were Indigenous. It made me really angry that they wouldn't even give this Indigenous man a go. The problem? He was from WA not NSW. @@@@ing stupid mongrels!!! Bloody racism is still racism even if it is within Indigenous groupings.

Barry Hall was booed when he played in Sydney after going to the bulldogs. He even came out and said he was disappointed.

I'm fine with booing. Its fun. It's what home ground advantage is all about. Lifting your team, weaken opponents and influencing the umpires decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12