Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media reports re: Swans and Buddy

Media reports re: Swans and Buddy

Has anyone else noticed how the media are now reporting Swans news as 'Lance Franklin's Swans' etc.

Not sure how I feel about that as much as I like Buddy.

If it was truly Buddy's Swans wouldn't it make sense that he was captain (not suggesting that he should be).

Suspended by the MRP
    Because he is a marquee player, same as when he was at the hawks all news about the hawks always featured him. I have a feeling after the GF Lance is now a committed swan through and through. He won't show it as he is too proud of a character but he must reeling and his insides turning at what he experienced last year when we played the hawks. While he will always have a place in his heart for his team mates at the hawks and the coaching staff i am sure everything elase he despises about them. The fans especially are just feral, absolute ferals. Every time he tweets or instagrams there are hawk fans who just abuse him and jacinta. I am not talking about 1 person abusing him..lots of them do it. Then at the game it gets worst and then the GF. Not only having to cop abuse all day from feral hawk fans and then having to deal with Brian Lakes unsocial footy but also being humiliated on the biggest day of the footy year against his former side.

I expected a fired up buddy in 2015..i know if i was in the same position niceties would be over and i'll be after some payback, just to shut the feral hawk fans up. Sure its not the same but i don't recall swan supporters abusing the hell of barry hall whe we played the dogs nor do i recall non stop onine abuse towards him. And he was our premiership captain ffs!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Because he is a marquee player, same as when he was at the hawks all news about the hawks always featured him. I have a feeling after the GF Lance is now a committed swan through and through. He won't show it as he is too proud of a character but he must reeling and his insides turning at what he experienced last year when we played the hawks. While he will always have a place in his heart for his team mates at the hawks and the coaching staff i am sure everything elase he despises about them. The fans especially are just feral, absolute ferals. Every time he tweets or instagrams there are hawk fans who just abuse him and jacinta. I am not talking about 1 person abusing him..lots of them do it. Then at the game it gets worst and then the GF. Not only having to cop abuse all day from feral hawk fans and then having to deal with Brian Lakes unsocial footy but also being humiliated on the biggest day of the footy year against his former side.

I expected a fired up buddy in 2015..i know if i was in the same position niceties would be over and i'll be after some payback, just to shut the feral hawk fans up. Sure its not the same but i don't recall swan supporters abusing the hell of barry hall whe we played the dogs nor do i recall non stop onine abuse towards him. And he was our premiership captain ffs!
    Yes, I agree. Swans fans appreciate former players efforts, even when they go to opposition teams. We don't want to wreck the fond memories we have of them when they were 'our' heroes. Why would you? But it has to be said the way Buddy has been treated by his former fans has been deplorable. A fair indication of the type of people that support Hawthorn. The fact that Franklin went to the team that 'stole their' premiership in '12 obviously doesn't help, and when you think about it, if one of our stars went to the Hawks before the 2013 season, we wouldn't have been happy, but we wouldn't make it our mission to make their life a misery, like Hawks fans have. They will regret their vitriol and immaturity in future years when they sit back to reminisce past glories by watching the '08 and '13 GF replays. They will squirm a bit in their chairs I reckon. They are an embarrassment!!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 25th November 2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: mistake

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yes, I agree. Swans fans appreciate former players efforts, even when they go to opposition teams. We don't want to wreck the fond memories we have of them when they were 'our' heroes. Why would you? But it has to be said the way Buddy has been treated by his former fans has been deplorable. A fair indication of the type of people that support Hawthorn. The fact that Franklin went to the team that 'stole their' premiership in '12 obviously doesn't help, and when you think about it, if one of our stars went to the Hawks before the 2013 season, we wouldn't have been happy, but we wouldn't make it our mission to make their life a misery, like Hawks fans have. They will regret their vitriol and immaturity in future years when they sit back to reminisce past glories by watching the '08 and '13 GF replays. They will squirm a bit in their chairs I reckon. They are an embarrassment!!
    Yeah i agree. I could not even boo Jolly, just a passing remark about his missers owing us 06 and thats about it.

IMHO i really think it hurt him, heck Jacinta made a comment after the round 18 clash about hawk fans and buddy and if anyone knows how buddy is feeling it would be her! She was annoyed as well at the way the hawk fans treated the big bud.

There is a huge contrast in the type of supporter that we have and the type of supporter melbourne clubs have. We used to get paid out for being polite and clapping a behind, you cant get any more nicer than clapping behinds haha.

Out of curiosity does anyone remember Barry Hall getting booed more than normal for an opposition forward when he played for the bullies?

Veterans List
    Yeah i agree. I could not even boo Jolly, just a passing remark about his missers owing us 06 and thats about it.

IMHO i really think it hurt him, heck Jacinta made a comment after the round 18 clash about hawk fans and buddy and if anyone knows how buddy is feeling it would be her! She was annoyed as well at the way the hawk fans treated the big bud.

There is a huge contrast in the type of supporter that we have and the type of supporter melbourne clubs have. We used to get paid out for being polite and clapping a behind, you cant get any more nicer than clapping behinds haha.
    Too true. It's funny, having lived in Victoria virtually all my life(but, funnily enough born in NSW), and knowing Victorians/Melbournians opinions of Sydney people as being brash and a bit rude, like New Yorkers, I must say Swans fans behaviour in Sydney has me reconsidering this viewpoint. There is no doubt, while Melbournians are quite refined in a lot of ways, their footy fans are in the majority, feral. The bogans come out to play on game day and it is not a pretty sight. We can excuse Magpie fans to an extent, but Hawthorn is considered a 'desirable' suburb, amazing how bad they can be. I am sounding a bit elitist here, but I think I'll just consider myself a proud Swan supporter, as we all should be.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    Out of curiosity does anyone remember Barry Hall getting booed more than normal for an opposition forward when he played for the bullies?
    Nope.

- - - Updated - - -

Too true. It's funny, having lived in Victoria virtually all my life(but, funnily enough born in NSW), and knowing Victorians/Melbournians opinions of Sydney people as being brash and a bit rude, like New Yorkers, I must say Swans fans behaviour in Sydney has me reconsidering this viewpoint. There is no doubt, while Melbournians are quite refined in a lot of ways, their footy fans are in the majority, feral. The bogans come out to play on game day and it is not a pretty sight. We can excuse Magpie fans to an extent, but Hawthorn is considered a 'desirable' suburb, amazing how bad they can be. I am sounding a bit elitist here, but I think I'll just consider myself a proud Swan supporter, as we all should be.
    You now that show on ABC, Upper Middle Bogan? Not the race car family but the yuppie bogans..well yeah they are your typical hawthorn fans, think they are on a higher class level because they have some cash but in reality they are feral.

Veterans List

You now that show on ABC, Upper Middle Bogan? Not the race car family but the yuppie bogans..well yeah they are your typical hawthorn fans, think they are on a higher class level because they have some cash but in reality they are feral.
    Spot on!

Warming the Bench
    WOW - talk about delusional, you should see my phone, email and FB page after the 2012 GF. I'm not going to defend some hawks fans but glass houses people!!!!! As a former Swans Member I also remember the things dished out to other former swans.... Shannon Grant, Anthony Rocca to name a few. Every club has its "passionate supporters" and the Ducks aren't exempt.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Suspended by the MRP
    Maybe its a melbourne thing to abuse ex players, but i have never heard at a sydney game.

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    WOW - talk about delusional, you should see my phone, email and FB page after the 2012 GF. I'm not going to defend some hawks fans but glass houses people!!!!! As a former Swans Member I also remember the things dished out to other former swans.... Shannon Grant, Anthony Rocca to name a few. Every club has its "passionate supporters" and the Ducks aren't exempt.
    I've had issues with Hawthorn fans in the past (2012 GF was shocking) but what Cartman says is very true, every club has them - including ours! I wish I had recorded some of the crap I heard OUR fans in SYDNEY dish out to Buddy early in the year before he found his groove, not much different to what I heard Hawks fans give him and I attended all three Hawks V Swans games this year.

You miss the point a bit in saying Hawthorn is a desirable suburb. Only about 1 to 2% of Hawk fans come from Hawthorn. for a more real look at where their fans come from see Waverly, Mt Waverly, Croydon, Ringwood, Box Hill, Mornington Peninsula, The Eastern Suburbs basically but not North East. sure there are some old diehards around auburn, Glenferrie & camberwell etc. But those areas were never upmarket suburbs like Hawthorn. They were based at Glenferrie so that gives you an idea of their original supporter base. Very working class, similar to Collingwood & Richmond except the Greeks took over Richmond, while Glenferrie and surrounds maintained their white working class/lower middle class roots. From what i can read the first player of multicultural background, the only one of his era, was Richard Abikhair in 1934. Frank Samblebe ( German) 1937, 4 in the 1940's, 3 in 1950's, you see what I mean. They didn't exactly have many Indigenous players either for a long time even though the first Indigenous player to play for the Hawks was Cyril collard in 1957-58. so the ethnicity of the area was esentially as I say white lower middle class/working class.

As other posters have said many of the Hawks fans are the Tradie Elite, rough as guts but got a quid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast