Thread: TLM Countdown 2014, Grand Final. And the Winner is...

Blog Entries

TLM Countdown 2014, Grand Final. And the Winner is...

Grand Final: Sydney 11.8.74 lost to Hawthorn 21.11.137 at the MCG

Venimus, vidimus, amisimus...maximus*

Part of the psychology of being a fanatic of a sporting team is mental preparation of the possibility that you team may lose, and never more so than when the stakes are at their highest � in a championship decider. So for all of us, the excitement of Grand Final week would have been tempered with the nagging thought of how we�d feel if the Swans came away empty handed. We experienced it in 1996 and again in 2006 so knew full well how empty the feeling might be. What none of us would have prepared for was the notion that the team would not just lose, but would be comprehensively and utterly smashed, that they would fail to do justice to the hard work and determination that had earned them the right to play off for the premiership in the first place.

But thus it was destined to be in 2014. A mildly positive start quickly gave way to a one-sided affair, with the Swans seemingly unprepared for the physicality the Hawks brought to every contest, unable to make bread-and-butter tackles stick, and unwilling or unable to produce the relentless running and chasing required to win against a very good side. Of the Swans� highly vaunted midfield, only Kennedy came remotely close to what he is capable of. Jack tried to wrench back some control but was not as effective as usual, while McGlynn, Parker and McVeigh all had afternoons they really won�t want to remember.

The likes of Jetta and Hannebery struggled to pick themselves up after being flattened early, while Franklin was made to pay a physical price for every contest he entered by his erstwhile team mates, some of whom (exhibit A: Brian Lake) were more than happy to overstep the bounds of decent sportsmanship.

It was a sorry afternoon and one that fans and players alike will take some time to fully recover from. But a new season always follows the last, and in a few short months the 2015 season will commence and provide our boys with a shot at earning redemption.

* We came, we saw, we got our backsides kicked

Goals: Franklin 4, Goodes 2, Jack 2, Kennedy, McGlynn, Tippett
    Bob Skilton Medal votes: Lance Franklin 36, Josh Kennedy 28, Kurt Tippett 21

TLM Votes
    5 Lance Franklin
    4 Josh Kennedy
    3 Nick Malceski
    2 Adam Goodes
    2 Mike Pyke

No Points for Luke, 5 to Lance to steal 2nd place from Luke, and 4 points to Josh Kennedy makes him the 2014 TLM winner.
    his 2nd TLM in 3 years.

Congratulations Joey!!!!!

Final Leaderboard
    60 Josh Kennedy
    52 Lance Franklin
    51 Luke Parker
    36 Ben McGlynn
    28 Dan Hannebery
    20 Jarrad McVeigh
    17 Nick Malceski
    15 Kieren Jack
    13 Mike Pyke
    12 Rhyce Shaw
    12 Harry Cunningham
    11 Dane Rampe
    10 Craig Bird
    9 Ted Richards
    9 Nick Smith
    6 Gary Rohan
    5 Tom Mitchell
    5 Adam Goodes
    4 Kurt Tippett
    3 Lewis Jetta
    3 Jake Lloyd
    1 Sam Reid

Ah Liz you have a wonderful way with words. "Amisimus maximus" sums it up perfectly. Oh what a horrible day. I still don't understand why we were THAT bad. I'm sure those GF votes reflect my thoughts exactly. The rest of the players might as well have stayed home. (By the way, I don't understand what the Bob Skilton Medal voters saw in Tippett's performance.)

Congratulations to Josh for another TLM. May he be a Swan for many more years.

Scott, I for one would love you to post the entire TLM document when you have put it all together. Also how do you 'present' it? Would be nice if you let us know when that has been done. Do you get any acknowledgement or reaction? Even if it is "what the hell is RWO?".

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Thanks for running the TLM again this year.
    I always look forward to the result.
    I really thought it would have been a lot closer between the top three.
    Personally, I really thought Eski would have finished a lot higher or at least around the McGlynn mark. He had an awesome year, much better than Hanners, Macca and Jack.
    Our whole back line is under appreciated, probably because they seem to work as more of a team within the team.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Goes up to 11
    I'll have to get into this TLM thing next year. Joey a very worthy winner, as are Buddy and Luke very worthy second and third placegetters.

But the biggest thing for me? Kurt Tippet 4 points. Sorry if we are paying as much as we are for someone who missed half of 2013, I'd be expecting better. I certainly think that anything less than a much much bigger impact on 2015 will indicate failure in this, what was a massive (until Buddy), deal.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'll have to get into this TLM thing next year. Joey a very worthy winner, as are Buddy and Luke very worthy second and third placegetters.

But the biggest thing for me? Kurt Tippet 4 points. Sorry if we are paying as much as we are for someone who missed half of 2013, I'd be expecting better. I certainly think that anything less than a much much bigger impact on 2015 will indicate failure in this, what was a massive (until Buddy), deal.
    He does help make Buddy's contract look like a bargain
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Seems like a fair result for the top 3.
    McGlynn is higher than I would have expected
    So is McVeigh
    Would have expected Malceski to pip these two
    Rampe was lower down than I would have thought

Seems the big scorers to a lot of votes from the rest of the team...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Scott, I for one would love you to post the entire TLM document when you have put it all together. Also how do you 'present' it? Would be nice if you let us know when that has been done. Do you get any acknowledgement or reaction? Even if it is "what the hell is RWO?".
    I'll try and get it done before Xmas, but I'm not always good at that. I usually end up rushing before the season starts.

In the past I've given to the player at the After Match in Melbourne.
    But for the last few years AnnieH has printed it off and presented it to the player when she sees them before a game.

Kirk gave me the best reaction once. Asking if he already had one.
    He was quite chuffed and received it quite well. The others have usually just said "Oh, thanks".

Blog Entries
    If any one is willing to take on the TLM next year, or organise it better.

Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The others have usually just said "Oh, thanks".
    Bit of a shame that the club doesn't pay more attention to this kind of thing.
    I have no idea how many Swans boards are around these days, but I don't come across any others.
    You'd think they would at least pretend to care a bit and help make a bit of a hoo-ha about it...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

The players who I've given them to (after explaining who we are and what the TLM is), do say "wow, that's awesome". (Joey & Macca)
    I tell them to take it home, read it and enjoy it.
    Next year, I'll take a photo of Joey receiving it and post it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Well done Joey.
    You worked your butt off all year.
    What a great kid you are!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Good work Scott. What an awful day.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    I tell them to take it home, read it and enjoy it.
    Next year, I'll take a photo of Joey receiving it and post it !!
    Thanks Annie, that would be great.