Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rookie Draft

Hi all

I am a little confused

why do we have the following selections but some clubs only have Rookie Draft Selections and no pre-season selections ?

Pre-season draft selections: 5, 8

Rookie draft selections: 17, 35, 52, 64, 69.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

We passed on two rounds of the national draft. We have 38 players on list...but I guess we are allowed 2 more because of veterans. Presumably we aren't going to use them though.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Emma Quayle advised in her article we are pre listing Jordan

Draft prospect: Jordan Foote - AFL.com.au

182cm and 74kg - inside mid

I think he is a very solid young player..........with out being outstanding........has a high work rate........not overly quick but has very good vision and a solid kick.........similar to Jake Lloyd in my opinion
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I see Essendon has signed Michael Long's son Jake as a Rookie. This seems a good way to get a father/son pick cheaply without having to use one of your picks.
    Can we do the same with Andrew Dunkley's son or is there something I am missing?
    Even if we could I am sure the AFL/Eddie would find a way to stop us.

EDIT: Posted this before I read the Age article on Jake. Seems they didn't nominate him in the ND so he was available to all the clubs.
    A very well kept secret.

Also notice reference to the James Hird Academy. Does Essendon have it own academy and does it pay for it the same as we do?
    Last edited by YvonneH; 2nd December 2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Jumped the gun

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hi all

I am a little confused

why do we have the following selections but some clubs only have Rookie Draft Selections and no pre-season selections ?

Pre-season draft selections: 5, 8

Rookie draft selections: 17, 35, 52, 64, 69.
    A team is allowed 40 players on their senior list. Swans choose to have two short on the senior list but pick more rookies.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I see Essendon has signed Michael Long's son Jake as a Rookie. This seems a good way to get a father/son pick cheaply without having to use one of your picks.
    Can we do the same with Andrew Dunkley's son or is there something I am missing?

EDIT: Posted this before I read the Age article on Jake. Seems they didn't nominate him in the ND so he was available to all the clubs.
    A very well kept secret.

Also notice reference to the James Hird Academy. Does Essendon have it own academy and does it pay for it the same as we do?
    If no other club bids on a F/S or Academy player, the club who 'owns' the rights to them can then choose to either draft them with one of their later picks in the ND or rookie draft them if they may need time on the rookie list. I'd have thought young Long needs more time to develop hence Essendon rookieing him. I think that's why we're doing the same with Foote.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post

A very well kept secret.

What does this academy teach I wonder? How to be an arrogant arse and put yourself above and beyond everyone else I'd presume.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I'd start looking at players such as Daniel Noon and Sam Pleming in the VFL.
    Pleming is 28 or 29 and has retired from the VFL - he's unlikely to be picked up by any club at that age and if his body's no longer up to VFL, it's certainly not up to AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    It would appear that The Swans are confident about our up and coming key backs but I still think we need a ready made key defender. If either Richards or Grundy get an injury or their ages catch up with them in the next couple of years we will be in deep trouble. Neither X.Richards nor Aliir are ready to step up yet and are likely to be at least a couple of years away. I'd like to see us go after a player from the state league who has played on big men before and can fill this gap for a couple of years or more. I'd start looking at players such as Daniel Noon and Sam Pleming in the VFL.
    I am not sure Xav & Aliir are 2 years away. I think they are almost ripe. One year at most. I think they both might play some footy this season to ready them for 2016.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 2nd December 2014 at 01:23 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I am not sure Xav & Aliir are 2 years away. I think they are almost ripe. One year at most. I think they both might play some footy this season to ready them for 2016.
    I may be wrong, but wasn't Aliir named emergency a coupe of times this year?

Regular in the Side
    It was suggested on Superfooty i think that we maybe interested in KPD Nic Newman from the VFL.. i think he is 24 or something..had some solid games for the Dolphins

21 year old I believe, averaged 23 touches and 7 marks as a half back. Only 187cm though so I'm not sure if it fills any holes on our list?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast