Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Draft

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    21 year old I believe, averaged 23 touches and 7 marks as a half back. Only 187cm though so I'm not sure if it fills any holes on our list?
    Other than the huge gaping hole left by Nicmal's departure. I realise we have a few existing options to fill that spot but we're going to need someone to step up, big time. I've been watching a few replays, and have been reminded of just how important he was to us in 2014. He's been a pretty significant player for us throughout his career, knees permitting, but 2014 saw him take his game up a notch. There are some big boots to fill, and it's a far more immediate need than eventually replacing Ted or Reg (and Reg could still have plenty of years ahead of him. As might Ted, of course. He might be another Dustin Fletcher.)

Liz

i feel that we can cover Mal and it is also possible that we may find some greater answers to the challenge of building our attack from the backline like Mal did.........Hawks and Sam Mitchell play that play making role a little different and we have seen Sam shift back off the pack for many years and building the attack via short sharp passing to uncontested possession

Macca, Jones, Rohan, Shaw, Rampe, Smith, Lloyd, Harry, Jetts, Jack minimum all have a great opportunity to move thru the attacking HBF type role in different stages of our games and as alluded to above we may lean towards a slightly more uncontested style in some parts of certain games

I agree that Mal was a first class attacking back and that our team had a luxury in setting up of play from Mal......... but I do feel we have enough ready to step up and lets be honest the attacking role off the HBF is a role that so many players just dream of playing.......the competition will be fierce

When i was a young fella that was my dream position and i remember at my club it was a highly contested role that so many players wanted to have as their job

Jetta and Harry also played quite deep on leads into the back line last year ...............i remember many occasions when these two guys made 50m leads onto our defensive arc.....especially Jetts..........I know I stretched some forum members minds when I suggested a month ago that Jetta or Harry could find them self deeper in our defence in a more playing role like a Pearse, Hunt or Mal but I am leaning towards the vision of a Jetta or Harry rotating in that attacking defensive role a little more

I love it when Jetts has ball in hand and moving from our defence and lets be honest Mal wasnt a great one on one defender........he was more superior in his attack and that was his key value to our team

I think Jetts has improved his defence tremendously and has the pace to pick up a one on one dual in recovery as good as anyone

The other random call is K Jack featuring a little more of the HBF like Macca has done

I think Kizza could do this role very well also
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Blog Entries
    PSD over in 5 seconds. Carlton get Jason Tutt, no other selections made.

Sydney to takes Jordan Foote with 9th round selection

Blog Entries
    Pick 17 = Sean McLaren

Height: 197cm
    Weight: 92kg
    Pos: Defender

This versatile big man has shown he can spend quality minutes in both defence and the ruck. McLaren was part of the AIS program and played largely in defence for Vic Metro, using his good closing speed to keep highly rated Hugh Goddard in check. At TAC Cup level, the Dragons used his 197cm frame in the ruck, where he used his athleticism around the ground to impact contests. Is constantly improving and looks a good key position prospect who can provide valuable support in the ruck.
    Last edited by ScottH; 3rd December 2014 at 11:31 AM.

Veteran Site Admin
    McLaren is first rookie picked. Seems to fill a need and was touted as being worthy of main draft selection by some. So seems like a decent pick.

Very pleased with the McLaren pick, who along with Keenan Ramsey (went to PA at pick 27) was at the top of my list for the rookie draft.

Blog Entries
    Pick 35 = Nicholas Newman

187cm
    81kg
    Defender

An outstanding season saw Newman go from Frankston's development team in 2013 to second in its senior best and fairest in 2014. He's a terrific athlete and a prolific ball winner. Newman generally plays as a medium defender but can move up into the midfield. The 21-year-old averaged 24 touches at 70 per cent efficiency for the Dolphins.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Pick 35 = Nicholas Newman
    Mature age recruit (21) from the VFL.

Blog Entries
    52 - Sydney Swans - Lewis Melican (Geelong Falcons)

Former club: Geelong Falcons
    Height: -
    Weight: -
    Position: -
    Last edited by ScottH; 3rd December 2014 at 11:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    64 - Syd - Pass

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    52 - Sydney Swans - Lewis Melican (Geelong Falcons)
    can't find any info on him! A smokey!

Edit: we were looking at him in October. Tall defender

http://www.colacherald.com.au/2014/1...urra-defender/

Blog Entries
    69 - Sydney - Pass
    76 - Sydney - Jordan Foote (Academy)

Height: 182cm
    Weight: 74kg
    Pos: Midfielder

A member of the Sydney Swans Academy, Foote is a hard-working, medium-sized midfielder. The 18-year-old played a key role in the NSW/ACT side that took out this year's division two Under-18s title and was also selected in the Allies side that took on the AFL Academy Under-17 All Australian team in the curtain raiser to this year's Grand Final. In three matches in the under-18 championships, he averaged more than 15 touches and almost three tackles per game.
    Last edited by ScottH; 3rd December 2014 at 11:32 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast