Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mills & Dunkley train with us

Veterans List

Mills & Dunkley train with us

I notice that Callum Mills and Josh Dunkley are training with us this week as part of their NAB AFL Academy program.

Really nervous that Edd, I mean VF, I mean AFL will conspire against us next year so we can't take both in the draft.
    Last edited by 707; 1st December 2014 at 07:32 AM.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Hopefully they just make us use 2 picks on each...our first 4 picks for those two jets is a huge bonus!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Emma Quayle sticking up for the Northern Academies..Keep it up Emma !

Early days, but northern academies start boosting the AFL draft pool

Hope she's right, and "tinkering" is all that happens...But I doubt it.

I get the feeling we'll be made to pay through the nose for Mills and Dunkley
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Good balanced article, please take note Eddie you histrionic one eyed moron.

I see Jordan Foote will be pre listed by us, anyone got any info on him?

Draft prospect: Jordan Foote - AFL.com.au

182cm and 74kg - inside mid

I think he is a very solid young player..........with out being outstanding........has a high work rate........not overly quick but has very good vision and a solid kick.........similar to Lloyd
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I'm not confident in getting both players (Mills and Dunkley). The VFL, McGuire, Newbold and Gordon clearly don't want us to have them. Look at what happened with the trade ban. There was no logic to it and I suspect that there will be no logic to the new f/s rule.

You would have heard McLachlan talking about "phantom trialing" a new f/s system during the draft; Shake up possible for father-son and academy bidding - AFL.com.au.

I'm not sure of the intricate details but I believe that all father/son (including academy) selections will be graded somehow. I suspect he will get McGuire, Newbold, Gordon and a few other together to vote on their value. The higher the graded value of a player, the less chance that he will be able to make his way to a top club. For example, the top half a dozen clubs on the ladder will be unable to draft a player if he is rated as being a top 30 selection (I don't know the figures BTW just guessing). The next half a dozen clubs will be unable to draft a player rated in the top 10. I believe that this will be the VFL's way of making it hard for us to get Mills and/or Dunkley without affecting the abilities of The Suns or GWS to get their good academy players (whilst they are in the lower half of the ladder).

There must be someone out their who has read about or knows the full details of the proposed method to be used. If you know I would love to hear the details about it.

What p&*$^s me off is that this was never an issue when Danihers, Hird, Viney, McDonald, Moore, Ablett, Watson, Fletcher, Hawkins, Scarlett, etc, etc. were drafted but it only seems to be an issue when the Swans are likely to get some benefit. Vic clubs have benefitted the most;
    861 Geelong 9 (M Scarlett 284, G Ablett 192)
    637 Richmond 5 (M Richardson 282, J Bowden 253)
    612 Collingwood 9 (T Cloke 153, H Shaw 174)
    553 Essendon 4 (D Fletcher 365, J Watson 154)
    526 West Coast 4 (A McIntosh 242, B Cousins 238)
    405 Carlton 4 (L Whitnall 216, J Waite 154)
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 7th December 2014 at 03:53 PM.

I don't know the details but read something about it a while back..

It was something along the lines of grading players with a point score, which then relates back to the draft pick, or picks,

required(by giving them a score value),.

So for example if a player is rated as a No.5 pick.....value 80 points

And your 1st pick is 18....value 45 points

Then you would have to come up with another 35 points from later, or traded, picks. Possibly even from the next years draft.

But Ican't remember where I read this scenario, so may be complete bull.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I'm not confident in getting both players (Mills and Dunkley). The VFL, McGuire, Newbold and Gordon clearly don't want us to have them. Look at what happened with the trade ban. There was no logic to it and I suspect that there will be no logic to the new f/s rule.

You would have heard McLachlan talking about "phantom trialing" a new f/s system during the draft; Shake up possible for father-son and academy bidding - AFL.com.au.

I'm not sure of the intricate details but I believe that all father/son (including academy) selections will be graded somehow. I suspect he will get McGuire, Newbold, Gordon and a few other together to vote on their value. The higher the graded value of a player, the less chance that he will be able to make his way to a top club. For example, the top half a dozen clubs on the ladder will be unable to draft a player if he is rated as being a top 30 selection (I don't know the figures BTW just guessing). The next half a dozen clubs will be unable to draft a player rated in the top 10. I believe that this will be the VFL's way of making it hard for us to get Mills and/or Dunkley without affecting the abilities of The Suns or GWS to get their good academy players (whilst they are in the lower half of the ladder).

There must be someone out their who has read about or knows the full details of the proposed method to be used. If you know I would love to hear the details about it.

What p&*$^s me off is that this was never an issue when Danihers, Hird, Viney, McDonald, Moore, Ablett, Watson, Fletcher, Hawkins, Scarlett, etc, etc. were drafted but it only seems to be an issue when the Swans are likely to get some benefit. Vic clubs have benefitted the most;
    861 Geelong 9 (M Scarlett 284, G Ablett 192)
    637 Richmond 5 (M Richardson 282, J Bowden 253)
    612 Collingwood 9 (T Cloke 153, H Shaw 174)
    553 Essendon 4 (D Fletcher 365, J Watson 154)
    526 West Coast 4 (A McIntosh 242, B Cousins 238)
    405 Carlton 4 (L Whitnall 216, J Waite 154)
    What is even more annoying is that we haven't even got that benefit yet, and it is far from certain that we will.

The worst thing I heard Gillon say (in fact the only "justification" I have heard from him) was that "the Swans can't have everything". Of course we have nothing of the sort, but the fact that he thinks we do is enormously concerning.
    Last edited by Bloods05; 7th December 2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling

ps ernie - great shot of you and ted
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Paige Cardona TAC Cup Expert and AFL Talent Scout

Good little write up on both boys here!

For anyone that can't be bothered following the link...

Callum Mills
    North Shore
    Midfielder
    Height: 186cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 04/02/2997

On the open market Callum Mills would already have one hand on the coveted title as next year�s No.1 prospect, that is how special he is. Eligible to Sydney as a Swans academy player, Mills burnt off all that came near him in 2014 and put in a strong showing at the National Championships and lit up the TAC Cup competition in his several appearances. Mills ticks a lot of boxes, and it�s why some recruiters think he�s a step ahead of Heeney; if that�s possible. He is a prolific accumulator, a strong mark, an elite kick, handy in traffic, sound in front of goal, his defensive work rate is first class, and he brings others into the game. He is every bit a ball-magnet, and has a great blend of his contested and uncontested side, whilst his versatility, pace and leadership are also highly regarded. Arguably the toughest player of next year�s draft class to find a weakness in. Averaged 21 disposals at 67 per cent disposal efficiency, including four marks, five tackles and five clearances over three games.

Josh Dunkley
    Gippsland Power
    Midfielder
    Height: 187cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 9/1/1997

The son of club great Andrew Dunkley, Josh Dunkley�s year at the Gippsland Power and for Vic Country had recruiters around the country believing he was capable of being drafted this year rather than waiting until 2015. Dunkley is a man-child, his nous around the stoppages and in front of goal has him presenting almost as a �complete package� midfielder who does everything well. Dunkley�s versatility is his greatest gift, he�s been used all over the ground and has played each position with distinction. He navigates his way through traffic with ease, and is rarely pressured into coughing up the ball. He makes good decisions by hand and foot and is a strong mark overhead, tackles with a ferocity and is regarded by his peers at both Vic Country and Gippsland as a strong leader. Averaged 16 disposals at 65 per cent disposal efficiency, including four marks, four tackles and four clearances over five games.

So Dunkley might be a first rounder too?? (on Open market). Strewth!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I think a lot of people are rating him a top 10 at this stage! Most of the other 17 year olds would have much more scope for physical development than him though so that might bring him back to the pack slightly.

Stew Maxfield's son Jesse has also been added to the (Dandenong?) underage development squad...I'm not sure if it is Dandenong or not but one of the TAC cup teams!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast