Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swans Post a Profit

Suspended by the MRP

Swans Post a Profit

Great to see that the Swans are being run very efficiently. Well done Andrew Pidram, Andrew Ireland and the rest of the organisation. A profit of over $800,000. Yes!

Record membership helps Swans to $846k profit - M.afl.com.au

Meh.

So what.

Why is this such a fantastic thing?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    Meh.

So what.

Financial performance is one of the key metrics of club performance.

If our club was making losses the AFL would be asking serious questions of our management.

The profit is fantastic as the money can be used to either pay down some debt on the balance sheet or can be used as a future buffer if we have years where we make a loss.

The profit is also evidence of a financial return on the Buddy investment.

I�m hoping that we get more members next year and smash that profit through the $1,000,000 mark. I�m confident that with Pidram at the helm that we will continue to improve efficiencies in the organisation which may lead to even better financial performance.

Im far more interested in total revenue figures, and how that compares to other sides. I remember we used to be mid-range a few years ago at $25m. $40-something million is probably still mid-range, but who knows ?

Veterans List
    Meh.

So what.

It's a very good thing. We don't want to end up like the Bulldogs and North Melbourne!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post

If our club was making losses the AFL would be asking serious questions of our management.

The profit is fantastic as the money can be used to either pay down some debt on the balance sheet or can be used as a future buffer if we have years where we make a loss.

I�m hoping that we get more members next year and smash that profit through the $1,000,000 mark. I�m confident that with Pidram at the helm that we will continue to improve efficiencies in the organisation which may lead to even better financial performance.
    Go Pidram!! Get those metrics happenin'!

Senior Player

If rather we didn't make an overly large profit. Gotta be more productive uses of surplus revenue.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Im far more interested in total revenue figures, and how that compares to other sides. I remember we used to be mid-range a few years ago at $25m. $40-something million is probably still mid-range, but who knows ?
    I made this graph from the Bigfooty thread recording club annual reports. The guy even got our annual report from ASIC.

As of 2013 we are corporate sponsorship heavyweights (recorded as part of "other" on the graph). Our membership and match day revenue is upper mid table... about on par with Carlton and Hawthorn which means our attendance income is better compared to our average crowds than Melbourne clubs.

We aren't huge but we're solidly in the larger half of the comp, actually looking really healthy right now.
    Last edited by R-1; 17th December 2014 at 04:34 PM.

By that graph we are sitting ninth. Outside the 8. Not where we want to be at all.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    By that graph we are sitting ninth. Outside the 8. Not where we want to be at all.
    Considering how well we're doing with merchandise (and that's in 2013, not including the Buddy effect) and corporate sponsorship, the results are pretty good. No need for gambling which is admirable. Plus it's not like we'll make revenue-based "Top 8" and go into the revenue Grand Final.

Financial performance is one of the key metrics of club performan

Explain to me how profit matters for a company that operates in the not for profit sector. Sporting clubs such as the Sydney Swans exist for one thing only and that is to achieve sporting success.

Profit is an outcome in the environment that Sydney operate in. It is far from a key metric. If you want a key metric, it's cash flow and by extension net assets where the net position is basically more cash assets than liabilities. With no dividend payments and no shares profit is hardly necessary as long as you can pay the bills.

There are many examples of profitable businesses going broke due to cash from trading operations being deficient. Basically borrowing to remain in business. Look to the cash flow statement for an insight into a company's performance

You being such a guru of the business world I thought would know all this. So endeth the lesson. Oh and if you are going to name drop at least do the dropee the courtesy of spelling their name correctly.

Now can we get back to talking about the footy?

Just wild about Harry
    Explain to me how profit matters for a company that operates in the not for profit sector. Sporting clubs such as the Sydney Swans exist for one thing only and that is to achieve sporting success.

Profit is an outcome in the environment that Sydney operate in. It is far from a key metric. If you want a key metric, it's cash flow and by extension net assets where the net position is basically more cash assets than liabilities. With no dividend payments and no shares profit is hardly necessary as long as you can pay the bills.

There are many examples of profitable businesses going broke due to cash from trading operations being deficient. Basically borrowing to remain in business. Look to the cash flow statement for an insight into a company's performance

You being such a guru of the business world I thought would know all this. So endeth the lesson. Oh and if you are going to name drop at least do the dropee the courtesy of spelling their name correctly.

Now can we get back to talking about the footy?
    You have a good point here regarding profit. A non-profit organization is supposed to cover its operating expenses, however a profit also allows us to invest in the future to hopefully keep us continually in the black.
    The thread is footy related, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast