Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buddy and Jesinta

What A Surprise!

Jesinta is good for him. a steadying influence. Congrats to the both of them. May they be very happy until the end of their days. This is from a person who doesn't believe in marriage.

Have you seen the size of her rock? That's going to affect her balance. No Cookies | Herald Sun

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Have you seen the size of her rock? That's going to affect her balance. No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Is that the cue for a stack of 'a 9.8% larger diamond' jokes?

Suspended by the MRP
    Why is have an expensive ring so important? When i was engaged my wife opted for her mums engagement ring which isn't flash or fancy but more a sentiment.

Every single female went into histrionics about the ring to then look over at me as if I were some cheap bastard when my wife explained that the ring was her mothers. Idiots paying 5k for a ring is just all levels of stupidity to me. Then again I hate mass consumption and call people out when they over consume.

I should have never got married, but like almost 3/4 of men I did it to keep the missers happy.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Why is have an expensive ring so important? When i was engaged my wife opted for her mums engagement ring which isn't flash or fancy but more a sentiment.

Every single female went into histrionics about the ring to then look over at me as if I were some cheap bastard when my wife explained that the ring was her mothers. Idiots paying 5k for a ring is just all levels of stupidity to me. Then again I hate mass consumption and call people out when they over consume.

I should have never got married, but like almost 3/4 of men I did it to keep the missers happy.
    Geez JPK. I must be 1 out of 4 then. Best thing I ever did and after 23 years I couldn't imagine not being with my missus. Maybe it is because I bought her a nice engagement ring?

Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post

Diamonds are bull@@@@, it's all controlled by the deBeers cartel that have used marketing and supply manipulation to make people think diamonds are a sign of love. The quality of retail diamonds are poor compared to industrial diamonds and their value is only created through buyer demand, and deBeers hoards diamonds to maintain high prices, or floods the market if a competitor tries to enter. Beware the monopoly!

Umm, DamY...... You are being a Grinch here.

Diamonds can be beautiful, if they are just right. And yes, deBeers thought up the engagement ring thing, made it desirable by subtle/not so subtle advertising way back.

I don't agree that the quality of retail diamonds are poor in comparison with industrial (where on earth did you get that??). I have seen some pretty awful 'retail' stones that's for sure but in cheap jewellery. Some of it is positively opaque - buy cheap and you get cheap.

And yes, they do hold back a huge stock which is released bit by bit. That came about because at first (I am talking 1200's to late 1800's here) there was an extremely limited source of stones so they were unbelievably rare (just think how come very very little in the way of really old jewelery exists - it was mostly remade when the next generation inherited it in the say 1400 to late 1800's. They didn't go and get new stones).

Eventually more mine sites popped up around the whole world especially in the late 1900s and 2000s when more diamond locations were discovered. It was decided that there needed to be a controlled release so that the market wasn't loaded and the values of the diamonds held by people around the world in treasured jewellery was devalued. This was a two way situation.

The highest prices are for the best quality and the best quality is still rare. From diamond mine to retail, good quality diamonds are rare, cartel or no cartel.

Signed, retired jewellery valuer and diamond grader. FGAA Dip DT
    Last edited by Primmy; 24th December 2014 at 01:28 PM.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I apologise, I didn't mean to disrespect your industry. A lecturer used the diamond industry to help explain Porters 5 Forces and how deBeers manipulated the market. He said that industrial diamonds used for cutting are of a far higher grade than retail diamonds. I am no diamond expert though.. I do find having to express love in a financial manner uncomfortable and also unrelated - look at the grand gestures made in Hollywood weddings that last 6 months with massive diamond rings v 50+ year marriages that may have a modest ring. Just my opinion.

I think perhaps your lecturer didn't think you financial types would check the facts. Not worth the worry tho. Except he is quite wrong about qualities. Really.. .. wrong.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I am happy to be corrected! No shame in that

Suspended by the MRP
    Diamonds are for everrrrr

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast