Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preseason Training

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think the first off-season catches a few young players off guard. They get eased into their first pre-season straight out of the draft, and everyone knows they are new and will take time to get up to speed with the senior core. Then they get their first extended break at the end of their first long season and some probably don't quite understand the condition they are expected to return to the club in for the start of their second pre-season. There were suggestions that Membrey disappointed the coaches with the condition he returned in a year ago, and I think also Marsh the year before. Jetta also fell into that trap a few years back.
    Georgie Boy's second season here Liz. He should know what is required by now. Last season I could understand but this season, no he needs to be more aware. By the way if the Academy boys can come back in terrific nick why can't a lad on the senior list for a year? Melican seems to be the bast of the others as far as I saw. But then again Newman is on crutches and Rose is in the Rehab group.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Georgie Boy's second season here Liz. He should know what is required by now. Last season I could understand but this season, no he needs to be more aware. By the way if the Academy boys can come back in terrific nick why can't a lad on the senior list for a year? Melican seems to be the bast of the others as far as I saw. But then again Newman is on crutches and Rose is in the Rehab group.
    As I said. His second season but the first time he has returned as a non-newbie. He is far from the first to not appreciate the extent to which clubs expect their listed players to keep themselves in top nick during their first off-season.

Suspended by the MRP
    Great write up, thanks.

Apparently young Georgie Hewett didn't come back in tip top shape and they are working him hard. He will have to stop being a lazy sod sooner or later. But the fitness guys will work his butt off until he is at optimum fitness before the season starts.
    Thanks for the write up Wolfie.

Being a Hewitt bandwagoner from the day he was drafted, I felt a bit concerned by your comment. Could you please elaborate as to what the indications were that made you say 'apparently'. And how serious do you think the problem is? Did he look out of shape to you? He is quite young, just turning 19; he is only a few days older than new recruits McLaren and Foote.

I've had my doubts at times about Xav and Aliir, but I know you've been a fan. Good to see you still feel positive about these 2 as we were quite thin in the KPD department until this draft.

Melican could be the surprise package of our draft. If he makes it, KB will certainly have earned his pay. The KPP depth looks so much better now with the additions of Melican along with McLaren and Davis.

BTW, any first impressions on Sean McLaren?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Thanks for the write up Wolfie.

Being a Hewitt bandwagoner from the day he was drafted, I felt a bit concerned by your comment. Could you please elaborate as to what the indications were that made you say 'apparently'. And how serious do you think the problem is? Did he look out of shape to you? He is quite young, just turning 19; he is only a few days older than new recruits McLaren and Foote.

I've had my doubts at times about Xav and Aliir, but I know you've been a fan. Good to see you still feel positive about these 2 as we were quite thin in the KPD department until this draft.

Melican could be the surprise package of our draft. If he makes it, KB will certainly have earned his pay. The KPP depth looks so much better now with the additions of Melican along with McLaren and Davis.

BTW, any first impressions on Sean McLaren?
    No there isn't any problem with George except he didn't come back in top nick and the fitness people will just work him a bit harder. Extra work that sort of thing to remind him he is a naughty boy and show him what is required. He looks good and if anything has built up even more from last season.

Sean McLaren is a lanky lad with long shaggy hair. A bit light at this stage I fear but he is really tall, in the Tippet tall arena. He moves quite well but the drills the other day didn't suit him I have a feeling. Melican is only young too. He is only 18 but built like a brick @@@@house. He is one big boy at 193 and I'd say about 90 kg. He reminds me of Jonno Brown in build and has even more agility. I like the look of him, a real footballer's build and he seems a footballer. By that I mean he knows how to make space and get clear of his man, is tight in the contest and has skill. Not just an athlete but a true footballer. Zaine Cordy the coach of the Falcons rates him highly. Remember he was not a top aged player yet so he has lots of upside. Just like Georgie boy. He's really quick for a bloke his size and build.

Senior Player
    wow @ Melican, you have my attention Woolfie

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    wow @ Melican, you have my attention Woolfie
    Mclaren is 198cm not 201 but still very tall for a defender. I didn't realise he was 93kg, he doesn't look it. I reckon his playing weight in the next few years will hit 95-100 as he builds up. He has the frame to carry the build, a bit like my uncle, big shoulders.

Melican is down as 80kg. I think looking at him this can't be right. He is a big lad and I would say he looks closer to 90, 85 at least.

Veteran Site Admin
    The picture of Melican on the Swans website (training pictures from Wednesday - he's featured in the last photo in the article) suggests he is fairly twig-like.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The picture of Melican on the Swans website (training pictures from Wednesday - he's featured in the last photo in the article) suggests he is fairly twig-like.
    No Liz he is not. He is a really good build. I don't see the twiglike likeness you are depicting here. I saw the pics too. He looks lean yes but not twig like. I think you exaggerate. In person he looks a bit bigger. LRT could be described as twiglike maybe but Melican no. Good build with good a build you can build a bit more on. Not in the Grundy or Pyke build yet but I would not be surprised to see him get there.

It's funny how photos can distort
    I find it amazing that swampy marsh is only 82kg as he looks 6 to 8kg heavier then Shaw as an example when u are watching them at training or live yet Shaw is 81kg

Either way Melican appears to be the future direct replacement for poor old AJ - ie an outside tall HBF who may progress like a ted Richards project ?

Hope AJ does a mal and recovers with the next lars but I am equally excited by the prospect of the pelican ????
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 10th January 2015 at 10:32 PM.

Ps great to see swampy and Robinson hot on the heels of the guys in the 3km runs

Robbo won't look out of place in seniors if form or injuries to key players occur

Mclaren is 198cm not 201 but still very tall for a defender. I didn't realise he was 93kg, he doesn't look it. I reckon his playing weight in the next few years will hit 95-100 as he builds up. He has the frame to carry the build, a bit like my uncle, big shoulders.

Melican is down as 80kg. I think looking at him this can't be right. He is a big lad and I would say he looks closer to 90, 85 at least.
    AJ joined the swans at 84kg now in the 90s - he is same height and weight and build as AJ was at 18

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast