Page 56 of 95 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 academy discussion thread (with some FS thrown in for good measure)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    I think the club should do everything to get Mills and Dunkley. Mills will probably slip at least not one. No longer think that Dunkley is considered top 10
    Dunkley has a stress fracture of the spine. Not a good sign for a young player. Does not give a lot of confidence that his body can stand up to AFL football.

Mills has been talked up a lot but has shin problems and doers not seem to have filled out at all since last year, may be an early developer with limited upside. Criticisms of his disposal come from a number of sources.

We should not be paying over the odds for either player and there must be some doubt about recruiting Dunkley at all given he seems only half hearted about the Swans.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The view of Leon Cameron at GWS, from The Age print edition that didn't make it to online:

The Swans
    "What I'm seeing now is actually a more legitimate rivalry. Before we couldn't keep our end of the bargain on the field so issues were created off it. Now I think we've become closer off-field because of the issues we share. We know how important the academies are for the game and right now we're trying to find the next Lenny Hayes at Pennant Hills or Penrith and steer him away from the rugby league system and into ours."

I'd like to see us working and sharing football politics tactics with GWS and the clubs in Queensland (not to mention WA and SA).

The online article:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...0150522-gh7554
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Dunkley has a stress fracture of the spine. Not a good sign for a young player. Does not give a lot of confidence that his body can stand up to AFL football.

Mills has been talked up a lot but has shin problems and doers not seem to have filled out at all since last year, may be an early developer with limited upside. Criticisms of his disposal come from a number of sources.

We should not be paying over the odds for either player and there must be some doubt about recruiting Dunkley at all given he seems only half hearted about the Swans.
    Who says he's half hearted?

Senior Player
    Has indicated he is keeping his options open.

What else can he do when the Swans are uncertain whether they want to take him?

Senior Player
    Express a preference.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    Express a preference.
    I have little doubt the Swans have some idea of whether he's interested. They've clearly been courting him for a while. But they're not yet in a position to make a public commitment to him. They may not be up until the time they read his name out (or pass), given the change in the process.

I don't see any reason why Dunkley is obliged to make any public statement of what he wants to do. He seems to be skilfully playing the question with a straight bat when it's put to him. Good on him.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Earlier this afternoon I heard the CEO of GWS being interviewed by ABC radio commentators. It was a wide ranging discussion and he was very good at bringing through the challenges faced in developing AFL in NSW and QLD. I was 'thrilled' (!!) to hear him say what I have been thinking all along about the use of Isaac Heeney by the Melbourne media. He said that the AFL should be celebrating his rise to prominence in a way which would help promote AFL in NSW and that the way he had been made a focus in the Swans' Academy etc debate showed immaturity in thinking. I was impressed by his clear, no nonsense manner as he stated the facts in a way that commanded respect. The commentators let his observations re Isaac Heeney pass without further comment!!

Of course they did.
    To acknowledge them would be drawing attention to the farce.
    But it is good to hear the other academies start to speak up.
    Both NSW academies are starting to produce players that make the league sit up and take notice (I
    know nothing about what's happening in Qld)
    I am assuming producing quality players was the aim, even if a certain sewer brained idiot assumed the quality was only to be of a certain standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    Callum did play for Nth Shore, i think he played a couple of Senior games, but that was driven more by availability. With Academy and Rams commitments there weren't a lot of free weekends left.
    With regard to comparing Jake and Callum I am not qualified to judge the technical aspects of their games. The comparison I used to make the comment is that when watching Callum play he stands out from the other players with his class and time in decision making.
    Jake is a good hard worker but doesn't stand out like Callum. Maybe it is a bit unfair to compare them like that

Another Willoughby/Mosman - North Shore lad to watch out for is Nick Foster.
    Another academy player, played seniors for Nth Shore at 18yo last year year and has played a couple of Swans reserve games as well. A real terrier.
    I watched Jake Veale play for the North Shore Bombers U/19's on Saturday, played across half back.
    He is a big lad and when he beefs up his upper body will be a monster. His foot skills were elite; long, low, pin point drop punts lovely to watch.

Does anyone think it is possible mills might only get picked as say pick 8?

If so has anyone seen the latest sliding scale of what that means for our next pick?

Ie would it be closer to being left with pick 40?

- - - Updated - - -

His father was a very skillful classy player Re Veale

Has anyone seen a guess at the top ten players in the draft as yet?