Page 38 of 95 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 academy discussion thread (with some FS thrown in for good measure)

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I never disliked Demitriou. The only thing that really alloyed me was when he made light of the Essendon drugs thing right at the beginning of it all and then crazily backpedaled when it all blew up.
    But he always did well for the AFL, and I think he upheld the dignity and strength that his predecessors brought to the job.
    That is all over now with weak as piss Gillon who is clearly either aligned with Eddie and others or scared to death of them.

What I would really love to see is the Swans and other club come out and attack (in a nice way) some of the other clubs who take the lions share of FTA TV games (thereby solidifying their young supporter based indefinitely) or perhaps even question the teams who play in the biggest H & A game of the year - Anzac Day.
    There is a strong argument for sharing this game between other teams. Essendon and Collingwood weren't the only teams sending players overseas, and Collingwood's credentials can apparently be called into doubt - Why the Pies don�t deserve to play on Anzac Day | The New Daily

Interesting read at Anzac Day clash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Didn't realise that the Essendon/Wobbles 'traditional' game was not as old as I thought it was.
    Thanks for the link CureTheSane. Based on that information Collingwood has the least amount of entitlement to be playing Anzac Day. They had the lowest number of servicemen of all refused to drop out of the VFL in 1916-1918 and refused to contribute to the Patriotic Fund. Typical of these cowardly, self entitled parasites.

The Anzac Day match should be either rotated amongst the clubs or go to the GF teams of the previous year. Outside of the GF it's the greatest draw card in terms of membership, dollars and branding for Collingwood and Essendon which is grossly unfair.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 25th April 2015 at 12:42 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Good to see the Swans and Giants united on this.
    And so we should. As I've said before, GWS should be an honourable foe (when we play them) and a staunch ally (in all dealings with the AFL).
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ideally we should have a friendly rivalry with GWS.
    Arch rivals can be overrated.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    And so we should. As I've said before, GWS should be an honourable foe (when we play them) and a staunch ally (in all dealings with the AFL).
    Off the field yes, but on the field both clubs are battling for the hearts and minds of Sydneysiders, so we cannot afford to show them any mercy in one of the world's most competitive sporting markets.

Just look at the bottom 2 on the ladder and the state that the 2 qld clubs are in at the moment and then tell me that we need to get rid of the academies!

Hopefully if they continue their poor form the AFL might buckle in playing with the rules for at least 1 more year...

It seems that there will be an equal discount of 20% for father/sons & academy players according to the article on AFL website.

Lions wait on academy changes as they eye talented pair - AFL.com.au

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    That's an absolute joke if they really do bring that 25% back to 20% for academy kids. Imagine the look on Eddie's face if they don't decide to bring it in until next year, though.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    That's an absolute joke if they really do bring that 25% back to 20% for academy kids. Imagine the look on Eddie's face if they don't decide to bring it in until next year, though.
    It would be nice but I think that it will be in place for this year. Yes I also agree that it's an absolute joke about the discount, but as Gil said (I think) to the swans "you can't have everyone".

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    An annual investment of $1.5m deserves more than a 20% discount...going to be really interesting how it all plays out.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    It would be nice but I think that it will be in place for this year. Yes I also agree that it's an absolute joke about the discount, but as Gil said (I think) to the swans "you can't have everyone".
    Gil, we don't want everyone. The top 3 would be fine

On the veteran's list
    The 25/15% or 20/20% discount makes little difference for us next as what we pay extra on Mills we will get back (a little less perhaps given their relative points value) on Dunkley.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    No argument from me there.

I do think, however, that this year really is the exception rather than the rule.

Eddie is delusionally thinking that the academies are going to produce top 5 draft picks.

Our real benefit will being getting local talent guaranteed that is fully background checked. We will get some real benefit in drafting players with pick potential 15 - 40 who we believe have the intangible qualities to be quality AFL picks.

And when the once in a decade player like a Mills comes along then we can still have him but need to give up a player.

I would like it to be 25% but I still think there is a bit in this. What we do need to do get this sorted out and get that fat @@@@@ from Collingwood off his soapbox