Page 57 of 95 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 academy discussion thread (with some FS thrown in for good measure)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Has anyone seen a guess at the top ten players in the draft as yet?
    Way too early. The U18 Championships are a big shaper of the draft order and they've only just started. Good to see other players being talked of as possible number ones, means Mills is slipping. Anything past 5 or 6 and we're laughing.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    I don't care if he doesn't play a game or not this year, Mills is head and shoulders the best midfielder of next years draft crop and it will be a miracle if he isn't bid for in the top 3.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I don't care if he doesn't play a game or not this year, Mills is head and shoulders the best midfielder of next years draft crop and it will be a miracle if he isn't bid for in the top 3.
    Not so, plenty of players who were touted early as No.1 slipped a number of places and plenty have come from no where to the very pointy end. If you read the commentaries, there are a number of players that will have recruiters salivating before Mills even gets a game. Midielders are the most numerous types in a draft, KP players always command more attention as do X factor types like Bontempelli so Mills is no certainty to atract a high bid.

It will also depend on who finishes in the bottom part of the table. Brisbane and GC being fellow academy holders won't cut our lunch, Carlton will go for a KP. Glad to see Melbourne win on the weekend, puts the spoiling Roos further up the ladder.

Quietly confident we'll be ok, providing Mills doesn't absolutely rip it up when he does play. Surely he knows the state of play :-)

Geez I hope you're right 707! In recent memory though I can't remember any 16 year olds having the impact that he had in an AFL reserves team. He put up some ridiculous numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not so, plenty of players who were touted early as No.1 slipped a number of places and plenty have come from no where to the very pointy end. If you read the commentaries, there are a number of players that will have recruiters salivating before Mills even gets a game. Midielders are the most numerous types in a draft, KP players always command more attention as do X factor types like Bontempelli so Mills is no certainty to atract a high bid.

It will also depend on who finishes in the bottom part of the table. Brisbane and GC being fellow academy holders won't cut our lunch, Carlton will go for a KP. Glad to see Melbourne win on the weekend, puts the spoiling Roos further up the ladder.

Quietly confident we'll be ok, providing Mills doesn't absolutely rip it up when he does play. Surely he knows the state of play :-)
    Without tanking surely Mills can take it easy this season a little

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Don't know if this has been raised already but here goes.
    Is it possible that we take both Mills and Dunkley this year, therefore mortgaging the next few years' draft because we know that there are no top draft picks coming through the academy in the next couple of years?

Doesn't sound likely but anything is possible.

I am surprised at the reaction of the club though. I thought we would have fought a little harder.
    Absolutely the ability to pick and choose which drafts it goes hard at for top picks and which drafts it stacks mid draft talent around the 30-40 mark is a HUGE advantage

Veterans List
    More good news, KPF Schache kicked 8.4 for Vic Country in their win over WA today. Got to love these kids racing up the draft ladder. More good news, Dunkley not playing either - all good!

I don't place too much importance on what he has to say but Terry Wallace had Mills being pick 4 and Dunkley being pick 10 in his mock draft on TAC Cup Future Stars yesterday.
    Interestingly he had Hopper from the GWS Academy ahead of Callum.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    I don't place too much importance on what he has to say but Terry Wallace had Mills being pick 4 and Dunkley being pick 10 in his mock draft on TAC Cup Future Stars yesterday.
    Interestingly he had Hopper from the GWS Academy ahead of Callum.
    Must admit that I do have concerns about phantom bidding from Melbourne clubs but I do believe this will ease over time.

I think with a player of Callum's ability we will definitely see a club bid with a top 2 or 3 pick simply because they know he is too good for us to let slide. Dunkley's draft range means clubs should be less likely to put in a bid unless they genuinely think he's worth it.
    It's been mentioned before but our best scenario is Carlton bottom then Brisbane and the Suns making up the rest of he bottom 3. It's highly unlikely that a northern club would bid on another northern clubs academy prospect given we're all fighting the same fight.

Veterans List
    U16 RAMs squad named, 9 Swans, 16 GWS, shows the zoning bias towards GWS that will have to be sorted out sooner rather than later given the way the GWS list is looking - being able to field a full team of top ten picks means it's looking bloody ominous!

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    U16 RAMs squad named, 9 Swans, 16 GWS, shows the zoning bias towards GWS that will have to be sorted out sooner rather than later given the way the GWS list is looking - being able to field a full team of top ten picks means it's looking bloody ominous!
    At the risk of seeming a hypocrite I do think that the idea of the Academy System is to develop the code in developing areas.

So, areas with a strong AFL presence such as the Riverina might well be not be suitable long term, especially where the investment by GWS is not substantial. I also find it hard to see how that someone playing for the Murray Bushrangers can also be drafted under the academy system.

I also see an absolute neglect of the GWS zone in Sydney and indeed their "investment" in Manly is surreal as I would think Manly is in the Swans zone.

A nibbling back of the GWS zone may well be in order.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    At the risk of seeming a hypocrite I do think that the idea of the Academy System is to develop the code in developing areas.

So, areas with a strong AFL presence such as the Riverina might well be not be suitable long term, especially where the investment by GWS is not substantial. I also find it hard to see how that someone playing for the Murray Bushrangers can also be drafted under the academy system.

I also see an absolute neglect of the GWS zone in Sydney and indeed their "investment" in Manly is surreal as I would think Manly is in the Swans zone.

A nibbling back of the GWS zone may well be in order.....
    All perfectly logical thinking there MP ... but this is AFL.

Wont happen before GWS wins a flag and the franchise is entrenched in the Western Sydney Psyche (though I'm tipping it will take more than that).

Whilst you are top dog, you must never be seen to bite the hand that feeds you (even if you have been catching and killing your own for years!) ... Swans have (quietly) protested the zoning for nigh on 7 years now, (it was only to be for 4 years).

Irony is that the most successful GWS Academy Graduate is Harry Cunningham ... proving once again that success has little correlation to the draft picks you get, or where you get them from, but how you build and maintain your list (ask Mick Malthouse about it!).

It's all a moot point if Eddie keeps pushing and the benefits of an Academy are further diluted ... why pump perfectly good money in, to benefit the league - there simply won't be any Academys.