Thread: 22 rounds vs 9 finals - long road to a quick end.

22 rounds vs 9 finals - long road to a quick end.

I was watching the Big Bash the other night and after a team went out one of the semi's (can't recall which one) one of the commentators said something along the lines of what a shame it was that one game ended their series when they had played so well, and that maybe it could change.

Seems a bit silly when comparing AFL's 22 rounds, then finals to the Big Bash's 8 rounds, then finals.

But it struck a nerve with me as I've felt for a while now that 22 weeks is a long trek to either not make the finals - 10 teams, or go out in the first week - 2 teams.

Personally I'd like to see it change.
    Obviously the best scenario is playing each team once and then finals.
    Perhaps a modified game at the start of the season to replace the NAB Cup and the first 7 rounds.

There have been many different propositions made for changing the way the finals work, so of them great, but to me, I think 22 to 23 games is a very long way to go for 12 teams.

The T20 I think has potential to overshadow One Dayers (it's already started with crowds starting to become comparable)
    I wonder what variations we could make on the game?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Sorry but the finals series is good as it is. Leave it alone. There is enough stuffing around with the game now. This is the best scenario finals system you can have. So good in fact the NRL have instituted it too. Cricket is a far different game and their style of play off is more the round robin. Every team playing each other so many times then the best two face off.

Yeah... not really about the final, but the long long road TO the finals.
    Obviously cricket is a different game, but can be used for comparison purposes, just as you did with the NRL.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Goes up to 11
    I foresee a future change implemented by the powers that be down south, limiting the number of finals played by northern clubs to a maximum of 2.....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I foresee a future change implemented by the powers that be down south, limiting the number of finals played by northern clubs to a maximum of 2.....
    I foresee a day when non-Victoria sides are completely ineligible to play finals (I suspect they tested how this might work with Essendon, by simply stripping just enough premiership points to make a team ineligible) and non-Vic teams will be just practice match fodder for Vic sides & recruiting ground via the academies. This is the future i foresee when Chins grapples control of the AFL

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    I foresee a day ...non-Vic teams will be just practice match fodder for Vic sides & recruiting ground via the academies. This is the future i foresee when Chins grapples control of the AFL
    This would be funny if it wasn't true