Thread: Swan's 'brand' in Sydney

Swan's 'brand' in Sydney

Was watching 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' last night and Barry Hall is in it.

Can't remember who the other celebrity was (and if they had any knowledge of the AFL), but they commented on Barry being an ex Western Bulldogs player. No mention of the Swans.

What about all the years he played (and captained) the club?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Was watching 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here' last night and Barry Hall is in it.

Can't remember who the other celebrity was (and if they had any knowledge of the AFL), but they commented on Barry being an ex Western Bulldogs player. No mention of the Swans.

What about all the years he played (and captained) the club?
    Barry Hall identifies himself as a former Western Bulldogs player.

They were the club who opened up to him and rescued him after a high profile exit from the Swans, which also included a high profile relationship breakdown. He will always be grateful to the Western Bulldogs for helping him out of a difficult patch of his life.

We should be respectful as fans on what the Western Bulldogs did for Barry and always appreciate his great service to the Swans.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I think it was last year at the Championship Dinner Baz was inducted into the Hall of Fame, got a rousing reception from the fans and seemed very happy to be there.
    It was good the Bulldogs picked him up - Robert Walls got so excited he tipped them for the Premiership - but it looked on the night that Barry was happy to be identified as one of ours. As he is and always will be.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Blog Entries
    That was Merv Hughes.
    He was taking the piss out of everyone.
    Last edited by ScottH; 2nd February 2015 at 08:04 PM.

Pushing for Selection poundpuppy's Avatar
    I was surprised (and a bit annoyed) by that too so I Googled Merv and it says "Hughes is a prominent supporter of the Western Bulldogs Australian Football League" which I did not know. I think they meant 'team' though ...
    Lord, help me to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
    And if there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went!

www.paws.com.au

Suspended by the MRP
    I got no problems with him being know as bulldog these days. Embarrassing show to begin with, having the swans associated with it is just @@@@ and more suited the WB.

I appreciate what he has done at the club as player and on the big day in 2005, his captains goal was massive. But since the 2006 GF I cringe and wince at Barry Hall, if only it wasnt his turn to be captain in 2005 and someone esle would have been up there.

Veterans List
    At least Joel Creasy mentioned the Swans, when he asked Barry if he started at the Swans, only to be answered 'No, at the Saints'. At least he KNEW Barry was a Swan. Maybe Merv's trying to rewrite history. I am waiting for a positive mention about the Swans from Baz, but editing may count this out. It's interesting how quickly Barry has smashed Joel's stereotypical appraisal of 'footballers' as 'tools'. That's because he is more Swan than Dog......

I agree with stevoswan. Barry is more Swan than Dog and should be appreciated for what he did for the Swans while he was there and not necessarily how he left. For me he will always be a Swan who left for more another chance with the dogs (like Nick Mal). Once a Swan (for a period of time and not 1 or 2 seasons) always a Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I agree with stevoswan. Barry is more Swan than Dog and should be appreciated for what he did for the Swans while he was there and not necessarily how he left. For me he will always be a Swan who left for more another chance with the dogs (like Nick Mal). Once a Swan (for a period of time and not 1 or 2 seasons) always a Swan.
    I'm not sure BBB considers himself more a Swan than a Dog, but this his prospective. To me he's a Swan.
    He & Nick are different. Barry's time at Sydney was over, so the Dogs were another chance. Mal was wanted so he wasn't out of chances with us. More longevity perhaps?
    To me, anyone who played in red & white is a Swan ... be it 1 game or 300+ games. They all contributed

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I'm not sure BBB considers himself more a Swan than a Dog, but this his prospective. To me he's a Swan.
    He & Nick are different. Barry's time at Sydney was over, so the Dogs were another chance. Mal was wanted so he wasn't out of chances with us. More longevity perhaps?
    To me, anyone who played in red & white is a Swan ... be it 1 game or 300+ games. They all contributed
    Agreed and at the end of the day who cares who barry likes to associate himself with.

I dont really care if Barry considers himself a duck.

Like a bad breakup after a once good marriage , its often the 10% bad at the end that many remember and not the 90% good.

Quote Originally Posted by poundpuppy View Post
    I was surprised (and a bit annoyed) by that too so I Googled Merv and it says "Hughes is a prominent supporter of the Western Bulldogs Australian Football League" which I did not know. I think they meant 'team' though ...
    Haha. It would have been correct though if it was Collingwood (CAFL).