Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Membership numbers 2015

Senior Player

Membership numbers 2015

I thought the swans were tracking well for members in 2015 but according to this article we only have 20,000.

Current AFL membership numbers for 2015 - AFL Online

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I thought the swans were tracking well for members in 2015 but according to this article we only have 20,000.

Current AFL membership numbers for 2015 - AFL Online
    That's due to the new member number cap the AFL has imposed on the club after Eddie everywhere deemed it was to much of an advantage for the Swans to have more than 20,000 members.
    Swannies for life!

We're really struggling for membership according to this. I suspect that a lot of members are dejected by our insipid GF effort.

What makes it worse is that if you look at home city memberships only (excl. Melb.) we are one of the worst in the AFL. Its probably only around the 13k mark.

We still haven't been successful in the Sydney market despite being in Sydney for some 30 years. The AFL introduces another team to the Sydney market despite not conquering the Sydney market. Surely (but probably not) the AFL will realise how important the academies are to the Sydney market.

Suspended by the MRP
    Sydneysiders are just not into AFL at all and with the vicentric approach they just dont want to know about it. Its been like that forever and it will always be like this.

I am sure some hardcore RWO poster will tell me otherwise but out of my circle of friends and family only 1 other person like the code and he is a carlton fan. The rest have a passing causal interest in it because of me.

Andrew Pridham tweeted on Dec 11 that we had 20,000 members. Does this mean that no-one else has signed up since then.? Surely not.

I think its just a case of thats the most recent "official" figure they had for the article. 20,000 was announced way back on the 12th December. I would imagine we would have quite a fair bit more than that now. I dont know why the club is so slow to announce membership figures though

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    We're really struggling for membership according to this. I suspect that a lot of members are dejected by our insipid GF effort.

What makes it worse is that if you look at home city memberships only (excl. Melb.) we are one of the worst in the AFL. Its probably only around the 13k mark.

We still haven't been successful in the Sydney market despite being in Sydney for some 30 years. The AFL introduces another team to the Sydney market despite not conquering the Sydney market. Surely (but probably not) the AFL will realise how important the academies are to the Sydney market.
    The 2014 Grand Final performance must be a strong factor. As a 'tragic' Swans supporter for nearly 20 years, I've never gone through a summer so lacking in Red and White passion.

Veterans List
    During the trade ban fiasco there were a few supporters that said they wouldn't be renewing their membership so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't agree with this approach because it punishes the club and not the AFL.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Livid_Swan View Post
    I think its just a case of thats the most recent "official" figure they had for the article.
    I reckon it's this. Same goes for Adelaide (50,000) and probably Freo (44,500). The odds of the three teams having such rounded numbers at the time of the article being written/researched are pretty slim.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Livid_Swan View Post
    I think its just a case of thats the most recent "official" figure they had for the article
    They don't give sources for the numbers and there's some confusion as to whether last year's figures are the final numbers. For the Saints they say "this time last year" but some of the 2014 numbers (like ours) look like the final figure for the year.

Would not be surprised if we were down this year, but let's wait for an official statement.

28k members according to SwansSupport on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    28k members according to SwansSupport on Twitter
    That's not bad. Took us until July to crack 40,000 last year. Wouldn't be surprised if some casual fans wait a few rounds to see which Swans team turns up this season (GF Swans or H&A Swans).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast