Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 List Management

Senior Player

2024 List Management

2024 list management thread started!

What an exciting list we have, first time in a few years that we have had such major changes.

Despite this, we still have work to do this year to maintain, improve and rejuvenate our list.

According to Footywire, we have 21!!! players coming out of contact at the end of this year! Someone like Liz might be able to confirm that info?

The top five are Gulden, Logan, Florent, Rowbottom and Hayward.

Next tier is Reid (final year anyway?), Cunningham, Fox, James Jordon (that can't be right?) and Melican.

Then also Francis, Caleb, Mitchell, Vickery, Arnold, Buller, Konstanty, Magor, Hamling, McAndrew and Edwards.

Of the top five:

- Gulden we would probably expect to sign for seven years or so, like Blakey
    - Logan we hope will resist the big Fremantle dollars and return home factor, to be our key forward now Franklin has retired. Am glad we didn't get Naughton for big dollars, as that would have eaten up some dollars and may have been a factor for him wanting to leave.
    - Florent is great, and I hope we re-sign him, but he is replaceable.
    - Hayward looks absolutely ripped and I hope he has a great season. Cops a lot of flak (from me too) re his output.
    - Rowbottom I think is under pressure to keep his spot in the 22, and maybe the Swans, with Patch and Jordan signings. Will be interesting what happens when Mills and Shelldrick are fit. He may end up like Hewitt, squeezed out of the team and not a priority signing until it is too late.

Of the next tier, Cunningham and Fox are great lower cost re-signings that play great defensive roles more often than not. Reid is probably in his final year. I can't imaging James Jordan came over on a one year contact, so I think Footywire info is wrong. Reid, he is in his last year again probably anyway lol. Melican, will depend on how injury free he is this year.

Of the final group, a mixed bag of players, some of whom will be delisted to make room for the new draftees. Hoping Vickery and Konstanty come good in particular.

We also need replacements for Rampe and Parker (Shelldrick) in the next 1-2 years as well.

It is a very exciting time to be a Swans supporter, so many things that may happen both on and off the field this year!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Footywire is definitely wrong re Jordan. Think it’s four years.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Footy wire have also got it wrong with Hamling who has a 2 year deal at the Swans. If you recall Freo only offered him a one year initially.
    When he said he was going to the Swans they immediately offered him a two year deal at the bare minimum contract thinking he would not uproot his family to relocate to Sydney.
    There could be a cultural problem at Freo, so I hope Logan is taking notice.

Veterans List
    Liz, can you please correct the title, I don't think we want to be duscussing "maMagement LOL

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    Footy wire have also got it wrong with Hamling who has a 2 year deal at the Swans. If you recall Freo only offered him a one year initially.
    When he said he was going to the Swans they immediately offered him a two year deal at the bare minimum contract thinking he would not uproot his family to relocate to Sydney.
    There could be a cultural problem at Freo, so I hope Logan is taking notice.
    I tried to find an article on this before I posted, but could only find that Fremantle offered Hamling a second year after Sydney's offer, but it was too late for him (he said he felt disrespected with their initial low ball offer).

If Jordon is four years and Hamling two, that still leaves us with 19 players to re-sign. That has got to be a record?

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    AFL website: The 10 biggest contract and trade stories to watch in 2024
    Swans players mentioned:
    Logan McDonald - will Fremantle try to lure him? What would it cost them? They have three first-round picks (Fremantle, Collingwood, Port Adelaide).
    Ollie Florent and Will Hayward - they enter the free agency window this year.
    Errol Gulden and James Rowbottom - out of contract at the end of the season.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Florent and Hayward are joined at the hip I believe? Doubt they are going anywhere

Of the apparent 19 OOC end of this season, I expect most of the established players will be the standard type re-signings that occur through the year. Errol could well be one of those 6/7 year set and forget type contracts that we've done in recent seasons for our biggest names.

McDonald will be the one we'll all sweat on, as no doubt there will be plenty of interest and $ from the west.

Nice that we're getting Grundy cheap for four years, cheers Collingwood

Thanks for the edit Liz

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    McDonald will be the one we'll all sweat on, as no doubt there will be plenty of interest and $ from the west.
    Indeed. I'm expecting 1000 posts on McDonald in this thread by October.

If there's a possibility of McDonald leaving, the club should keep him happy in matches. Place him at CHF, let him kick 3 or 4 goals a game, which should get him close to a Coleman medal. And if he does end up at Freo, the club will be able to ask more, perhaps a single-digit pick.

The PSD? Not a realistic threat. West Coast would be likely to finish lower than Fremantle, and they are unlikely to pass up the opportunity to pick up a young WA forward.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    My son lives in Perth and he says the McDonald back to Perth rumour is strong. Then again they are pretty parochial. My crystal ball says he becomes our our CHB.

I reckon he will give us two more years McDonald

reason being is we have something special brewing next 24months

he can the re assess after two years and still sign a 7 year contract with anyone else after a real shot at success
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    - Rowbottom I think is under pressure to keep his spot in the 22, and maybe the Swans, with Patch and Jordan signings. Will be interesting what happens when Mills and Shelldrick are fit. He may end up like Hewitt, squeezed out of the team and not a priority signing until it is too late.
    Rowbottom is still severely underrated by lots of people. I understand that he's not the sexy, ball winner that everyone likes but he has finished top 3 in the Bob Skilton for the past 2 years. You are not under pressure if you are doing the job that the coaches want.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Rowbottom is still severely underrated by lots of people. I understand that he's not the sexy, ball winner that everyone likes but he has finished top 3 in the Bob Skilton for the past 2 years. You are not under pressure if you are doing the job that the coaches want.
    The Bob Skilton medal is an interesting argument. Buddy never won one. Neither Heeney. Both rarely made top 3. Would you rather have them or Rowbottom?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast