Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: RWO site changes, bugs, disruptions thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've noticed recently when pasting URLs from the ABC website that the link text displays as "iview", and the rest of the page after that link doesn't display properly.
    Just here to point out that the "Round 16: other games" thread has been broken by a rogue iview URL, and that the solution is in my quoted post

Hi Mods, I think there is a bug in the URL creation thingy for ABC urls it always seems to create something that displays as "iview" and always messes up the thread. It's happened to me on 4 or 5 occasions.

I'll try and use a URL tag instead and hopefully that works.

I had part of a quote from an AFL website article deleted with the following reason:

Last edited by liz; Yesterday at 09:09 AM. Reason: Please don't past extensive quotes from other sites, and please provide a link to original article (link added)
    I agree that I should have provided a link instead of an attribution without a direct link, although reference to the AFL website would seem sufficient.

I cut and pasted a section pertaining to the Swans from an article that discussed all 18 teams. I didn't think that 1/18 th of an article would constitute 'extensive'. so maybe you can clarify this point.

I am not sure why this rule should apply to articles appearing on the AFL website, since the AFL is not primarily in the News or Publishing businesses and it's not clear if copyright rules apply to articles published on their website, especially if there is attribution. I think information published on the AFL website might be in the public domain. Could you kindly check on this?

Hi Ludwig

I agree with you that copying 1/18th of an article seems reasonable and unlikely to run into trouble but I also think it's fair enough that we defer to the mods guidelines around this because they are responsible for running the site, and they are taking that responsibility on themselves.

From a copyright point of view, I think what you may mean by 'public domain' is where copyright works fall into the public commons either because copyright has lapsed, or because the copyright owner has expressly relinquished their rights and given permission for all to use their work. That most certainly does not apply to anything on afl.com.au. I don't think it even applies to our posts on RWO (in which we, as the authors, retain copyright). We are legally able to copy each other's posts only because of an implied licence to do so.

An important exception to copyright, are the fair dealing exceptions, most pertinently the right to copy a reasonable portion of a copyright work for the purposes of criticism and review. So, there would be less tolerance for simply copying and reposting content if there is no commentary or analysis of the copied work.

Cheer, cheer!

bloodspirit

Veteran Site Admin
    The purpose of providing a link to where an article is published is so that people can click on that link and go to the originating site to read the article. If you reproduce the entire section that is of interest to (most) Swans fans, there is no reason for them to click through to the original publication. I view an article like that as 18 separate sub-articles (of which you reproduced 100% of one) rather than a single, long article. Certainly I had little interest in reading the equivalent information for 17 other clubs.

I don't follow your suggestion that the AFL is somehow different from any other organisation that employs journalists to write and publish stories for the purpose of generating traffic through their site.

Many years ago - sometime in the mid 2000s I believe - I was one of a delegation of three or four people from the admin/moderator team who visited the Swans' offices in response to a "summons". We were told that certain media outlets (of which the only one I can remember as being named was the AFL site) was unhappy that people were cut and pasting material from their sites on RWO and that they might think about taking legal action against the site if it continued. From that point, we clarified the protocols regarding cutting and pasting - the rules we now have and enforce. This site - with just the bare financial resources to support the hosting and software - has neither the resources or the interest in responding to even a threat of legal action.

Putting aside legal or commercial considerations, I also think it is basic courtesy that people are encouraged to go to a site where material is originally published so they can read it in the correct context. That's not a major issue with an article like this one from the AFL site, but would apply to, say, material copied from another discussion forum or BTL comments from a mainstream media site. I became aware not so long ago (maybe last off-season) that someone had reproduced some training reports over on BigFooty that had been posted here. In that case, neither RWO or (more importantly) the original author had been credited. I considered that the height of bad manners but had little control over what was done on another site. [I don't view RWO as "owning" material posted here, given we are not a commercial site. That ownership remains with whoever generated the material, and they are free to go an post their own material on as many other sites as they wish.] However, if anyone did the same in reverse (ie pasted on RWO BF material written by other people), that wouldn't be considered appropriate (even with appropriate credit given to the author). Taking posts out of context of the discussion that they were contributed to is unfair to the author.

Veterans List
    I have a friend trying to register. He puts in all the details required but when he hits Register it comes up invalid user name or password.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I have a friend trying to register. He puts in all the details required but when he hits Register it comes up invalid user name or password.
    My friend says if he can't register he is going to take it to the high court.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've noticed recently when pasting URLs from the ABC website that the link text displays as "iview", and the rest of the page after that link doesn't display properly.

One solution is to edit your post like this:
    I went to comment on the Rhyce Shaw news in the "Past Players" thread, but it's been broken by the ABC-URL-shows-as-iview issue. So yet again, here is the solution (see quoted post)

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I had to soft delete the post as I couldn’t figure out how to edit in Tapatalk. (Had to use Tapatalk as I couldn’t do anything in the normal browser)

Has the site changed so that hyperlinks are no longer active? It seems to be that when you post a link it no longer comes up in a way that is possible to click through.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Has the site changed so that hyperlinks are no longer active? It seems to be that when you post a link it no longer comes up in a way that is possible to click through.
    Whatever has changed has happened at your end, I think. I've just tried posting hyperlinks into threads from a couple of different sites and it worked for me as it normally does.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The "2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel" thread is currently broken, with post #3745 having a rather large amount of text pasted into a link that is screwing it up.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final