Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corruption of traditional footy talk

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    This is humour:

A dyslexic walks into a bra.
    Or the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac who laid awake all night wondering if there really is a dog!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

On the veteran's list
    On another thread Matt80 used another of my really, really pet sport Americanisms. ROSTER! AFL teams don't have rosters they have team lists. And while I'm at it, players don't SUIT UP they change into their footy gear. And they don't wear HOSE they wear socks! And they wear footy jumpers or guernseys they don't wear bloody JERSEYS or SHIRTS! And the ball goes out of bounds it DOESN'T FIND TOUCH!
    Last edited by The Big Cat; 2nd March 2015 at 11:32 PM.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    To be serious for a moment, a part of the history of Aussie Rules is embedded in the etymology of "drop punt".

It is so called because when it came into the game in the mid-60s it was seen as a hybrid of the punt kick (the most commonly-used kick at the time - now known as the mongrel punt) and the drop kick (which tended to be used only by the more skilful players).

This was because it was kicked without being bounced, like a punt, but in such a way that it spun through the air exactly as a drop kick did. Ergo, drop punt.

In the American game, it has no such history, so they can call it what they like. But here, it's important that we honour our history by preserving those parts of the game's terminology and nomenclature that reflect it.
    You are pretty right here Bloods05 except that the punt kick used before Jack Dyer invented the drop punt was the torpedo punt (sometimes referred to as a spiral punt or more recently as a Barrel). Another punt kick used (to great effect by Peter Hudson) was the flat punt which was dropped onto the boot in line with the goals rather than angled across the boot as in to case of the "torp". Rather than spin, the flat punt would float through the air, but when kicked properly was very accurate from close range. The mongrel punt you referred to was any type of mis-kicked punt which wobbled and spun irregularly and nearly broke your fingers if you tried to mark it. (Hence Rex Hunt's description of "A mongrel, finger-breaking punt"). Andrew Dunkley was a great exponent of the mongrel punt.

Tim Lane, when asked what his greatest booper in football commentary was replied: "What I meant to say was that it was a mongrel up-country punt!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    �Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber mu� man schweigen.�
    And all this time I had thought Ludwig was a classical music lover. Wrong German, wrong Ludwig!

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    �Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, dar�ber mu� man schweigen.�
    After some research, followed by contemplation Ludwig, I concur.

On the issue, I'd say words are words. For me, some words are sacrosanct. A mark is a mark. I'll expose anyone who says otherwise as a phoney. Kick ins are kick outs. It's pretty damn obvious what they're doing and if everyone has been calling it thus forever, what idiot thinks it's a good idea to invent something new? I'm inclined to agree with The Big Cat in most areas.

Then there's the overarching principle. If you americanis(z)e any aspect of AFL you're doing it a disservice. Take a look at my favourite US team, the Columbus Ohio Jackaroos (I've promoted these guys on RWO before I think). They're just a small , humble outfit, but they embrace everything that is Aussie about our sport, even having their own Australian-themed parties. https://www.facebook.com/columbusfooty?fref=ts. Why would anyone who lives right here where the sport was born think it's a good idea to go the other direction?
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And all this time I had thought Ludwig was a classical music lover. Wrong German, wrong Ludwig!
    And what about this guy?
    350px-Ludwig_Boltzmann_-_Grave_B.jpg

And what about this guy?
    350px-Ludwig_Boltzmann_-_Grave_B.jpg
    Well now, I didn't know about that Ludwig. I see he had an unhappy demise though so I hope you have a more cheerful name bearer in mind? (Not that I think the classical music Ludwig had cause to be cheerful in his later years either.)

Far too many Ludwigs had sad endings, but supposedly Wittgenstein's last words were that he had a wonderful life.

Anyway, all those other Ludwigs are long gone, but I'm still kicking along, or perhaps punting along, it's all so confusing.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A musical Ludwig? Do you mean the drum bloke?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    A musical Ludwig? Do you mean the drum bloke?
    That Ring(o)s a bell. You mean that footy Starr?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    Kick ins are kick outs. It's pretty damn obvious what they're doing and if everyone has been calling it thus forever, what idiot thinks it's a good idea to invent something new?
    As one on the side of kick-ins, I'm pretty sure even the rules of the game refer to it as kicking in to the field of play as opposed to kicking out of the goal square.*

* I can't be bothered looking, so might be completely wrong but just thought I'd throw some form of authority behind things.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    The Laws:

13. KICKING THE FOOTBALL INTO PLAY AFTER A BEHIND
    HAS BEEN SCORED
    13.1 FOOTBALL MUST BE KICKED
    Unless Law 12.4 applies, when a Behind has been recorded, the
    following shall apply:
    (a) the football must be Kicked back into play by any Player of the
    defending Team within a reasonable time;
    (b) the football must be Kicked from within the Goal Square. For
    the avoidance of doubt, one foot of the Player must be behind
    any of the lines which define the Goal Square at the time when
    the Player Kicks the football;
    (c) Other than the Player kicking the football into play, all
    Players must immediately vacate the area within 5 metres
    of the Goal Square.
    (d) the Player Kicking the football into play may, provided they have
    Kicked the football clear from their hands, regain possession
    and play on from within the Goal Square.

Presumably the ball has been out of play and is going back in!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast