Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corruption of traditional footy talk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    On the veteran's list

Corruption of traditional footy talk

Can't stand it when commentators try to make up names for things which already have a bloody name. A mark is NEVER TO BE CALLED a catch!. Putting the hands out in front is NEVER TO BE CALLED putting the dukes out! The home ground advantage is NEVER TO BE CALLED the home field advantage (take note Roosy!). The loose man in defence is NEVER TO BE CALLED the quarterback! The backline is NEVER TO BE CALLED the defensive half. The first bounce is NEVER TO BE CALLED the tip off. A player shoots AT goal, not ON goal! After a point the player kicks OUT not IN. A handpass is NEVER TO BE CALLED giving it by hand. A pack is NEVER TO BE CALLED a scrum or maul. A utility is NEVER TO BE CALLED a swingman. A banana is NEVER TO BE CALLED a check side. etc etc etc

I am happy to let the game's vocabulary find new words for modern innovations such as "the fat side", maybe even "set play" (but never "set piece") but never allow traditional footy talk to be supplanted.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Suspended by the MRP
    Well what do you expect? Australia is very Americanised and it seems the social engineers want us to follow the american corporate culture.

Just look around you and see how many amercian brands have taken over our cities.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Well what do you expect? Australia is very Americanised and it seems the social engineers want us to follow the american corporate culture.

Just look around you and see how many amercian brands have taken over our cities.
    David King and Dermot Brereton are social engineers!! The world is doomed.

To me a player kicks in.
    ie: kicks back IN to the field of play.
    Kicking 'out' sounds strange...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    To me a player kicks in.
    ie: kicks back IN to the field of play.
    Kicking 'out' sounds strange...
    He's kicking out of the square.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Can't stand it when commentators try to make up names for things which already have a bloody name. A mark is NEVER TO BE CALLED a catch!. Putting the hands out in front is NEVER TO BE CALLED putting the dukes out! The home ground advantage is NEVER TO BE CALLED the home field advantage (take note Roosy!). The loose man in defence is NEVER TO BE CALLED the quarterback! The backline is NEVER TO BE CALLED the defensive half. The first bounce is NEVER TO BE CALLED the tip off. A player shoots AT goal, not ON goal! After a point the player kicks OUT not IN. A handpass is NEVER TO BE CALLED giving it by hand. A pack is NEVER TO BE CALLED a scrum or maul. A utility is NEVER TO BE CALLED a swingman. A banana is NEVER TO BE CALLED a check side. etc etc etc

I am happy to let the game's vocabulary find new words for modern innovations such as "the fat side", maybe even "set play" (but never "set piece") but never allow traditional footy talk to be supplanted.
    Agreed.

Though i must say the creeping in of "first grade" is a bit grating when I read it on here, but i know where the club is and who we are converting so I bite my tounge on that one

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    He's kicking out of the square.

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

Though i must say the creeping in of "first grade" is a bit grating when I read it on here, but i know where the club is and who we are converting so I bite my tounge on that one
    I'll cop "first grade" but I draw the line at "Souths".

Also, Dermot Brereton is responsible for more commentating atrocities than all the others combined.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post

You'll be in trouble with Matt80......

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I'll cop "first grade" but I draw the line at "Souths".
    i don't use it personally, I'm too young. But that's the club many have supported from birth. If we share it's history then good on anyone for cheering on their souths.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post

Can we call a final last second long bomb into the crowded forward line just before half time and full time a "Hail Mary"?

Can't we call a quarter where the opposition does not score a "shut out"?

Can we call desperate defensive efforts on the goal line a "goal line stand".

Can we at least call Buddy our "franchise player".

Can't we call the AFL Premiers "World Champions".

Come on people let's embrace what's great in the world of sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Can we call a final last second long bomb into the crowded forward line just before half time and full time a "Hail Mary"?

Matt80, I honestly can't tell if you're taking the piss out of this thread. Isn't there a suitable emoticon you can put at the end of your posts when are being lighthearted?

All Swans supporters should be chanting "God Bless America" in honour of Paul Roos.
    God bless anyone who can put a stop to ridiculous suggestions that "all Swans supporters should" do anything of the sort.

Big Cat, I do like this thread.
    I'm ok with kick out or kick in. Banana is my preferred but check side is almost acceptable IMO (the South Aussies are as anti-Vic as much as you're anti-USA terminology ... but at least they're Australian).
    Last edited by 0918330512; 2nd March 2015 at 06:13 PM.

On the veteran's list

No, No, No and No!

It's a scoreless quarter for the opposition.
    It's a great defensive effort in the last line.
    Buddy is our highest paid player. The Swans are not even a franchise - They are a club!
    The AFL premiers are AFL premiers. All this "world series" and "world champions" is American crap when applied to sports where most of the world doesn't participate. To Call American Baseball the World Series is self indulgent crap. Even the soccer "world championship" winner is known as the World CUP champion not world champion.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Veterans List

I thought you "hailed a Taxi".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I thought you "hailed a Taxi".
    I hailed a taxi once.
    The driver got upset at me for denting his cab.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast