Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Corruption of traditional footy talk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    No, you misunderstand. We were NEVER called "Souths". It was always "South".
    True. Always South. Bunnies in Syd always called Souths.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    And from the glossary of all wisdom:

Kick-in
    (or sometimes kick-out) the return of the ball back into play after a behind has been scored.

Glossary of Australian rules football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Aaaah wikipedia, so it must be true . Always kick in where I grew up.

Senior Player
    I did.

*see's self out the door*

Suspended by the MRP
    Old South supporters can be really condescending and PIA with semantics.

Next time i am around an old south fan i am going to scream out "Go Souths" just to annoy them.

Yeah in the end most of it really is irrelevant and I don't mind if the word catch is used etc
    I use the term 'bro' all the time at the moment. I could be criticized for being unAustralia and using American lingo...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Could someone please submit my upvote for "corridor" as being valid footyspeak to the relevant authorities.
    "She said 'Come look there's a wardrobe of love in my eye'. Take your time, look around, and see if there's something your size."
    Wardrobe Of Love, Ishtar

Quote Originally Posted by shippo View Post
    Could someone please submit my upvote for "corridor" as being valid footyspeak to the relevant authorities.
    I have only heard it in the context of Aussie rules (be careful not AFL). Is there another sport that this is common vernacular?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I have only heard it in the context of Aussie rules (be careful not AFL). Is there another sport that this is common vernacular?
    The bowlologist 'corridor of uncertainty'?

Pushing for Selection
    The game should be refer to as Australian Football. That makes the team that players the Irish 'The Australian Football Team".
    Where's the remote?

Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Old South supporters can be really condescending and PIA with semantics.

Next time i am around an old south fan i am going to scream out "Go Souths" just to annoy them.
    It's not semantics, it's history. The truth matters.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by JPK12 View Post
    Old South supporters can be really condescending and PIA with semantics. ...
    It's not semantics, it's history. The truth matters.
    Not really condescending more a case of being pedantic which we can all be guilty of. I always want to correct "jersey" to "guernsey" but have to bite my tongue at times. :-)
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Opti-pessi-misti
    I quite like 'jumper' myself!

I think cutting words from other sports and pasting them into our unique Aussie rules is an echo of the 'cultural cringe' that has bedevilled many aspects of our lives since federation. For some reason we are still looking to other codes and other sports and other 'everything' as though their way is better and that we should adapt whatever we do in order to be 'cool' relative to them. The uniqueness of our game and traditions are 'old hat' and to be despised. Now, for instance, at the AFL Grand Final, we have to be 'entertained', usually meaning some Hollywood or American style stuff that has no relation to our game of footie. Who is it that demands that we have an overseas singer or band, who have never seen a game of Aussie rules, to 'entertain' us. I would prefer to sing Up there Cazaly, or the Holy Grail, or some other footy related anthem 100 times - but at least have an Australian band or singer. We should be seeking to grow or build on all the little AFL traditions - that to me would gain more respect from others than trying to make ourselves clones of other codes!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast