Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Corruption of traditional footy talk

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I quite like 'jumper' myself!

I think cutting words from other sports and pasting them into our unique Aussie rules is an echo of the 'cultural cringe' that has bedevilled many aspects of our lives since federation. For some reason we are still looking to other codes and other sports and other 'everything' as though their way is better and that we should adapt whatever we do in order to be 'cool' relative to them. The uniqueness of our game and traditions are 'old hat' and to be despised. Now, for instance, at the AFL Grand Final, we have to be 'entertained', usually meaning some Hollywood or American style stuff that has no relation to our game of footie. Who is it that demands that we have an overseas singer or band, who have never seen a game of Aussie rules, to 'entertain' us. I would prefer to sing Up there Cazaly, or the Holy Grail, or some other footy related anthem 100 times - but at least have an Australian band or singer. We should be seeking to grow or build on all the little AFL traditions - that to me would gain more respect from others than trying to make ourselves clones of other codes!
    Stupid entertainment - I'd rather watch a curtain-raiser and forget about the other stuff altogether.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I quite like 'jumper' myself!

I think cutting words from other sports and pasting them into our unique Aussie rules is an echo of the 'cultural cringe' that has bedevilled many aspects of our lives since federation. For some reason we are still looking to other codes and other sports and other 'everything' as though their way is better and that we should adapt whatever we do in order to be 'cool' relative to them. The uniqueness of our game and traditions are 'old hat' and to be despised. Now, for instance, at the AFL Grand Final, we have to be 'entertained', usually meaning some Hollywood or American style stuff that has no relation to our game of footie. Who is it that demands that we have an overseas singer or band, who have never seen a game of Aussie rules, to 'entertain' us. I would prefer to sing Up there Cazaly, or the Holy Grail, or some other footy related anthem 100 times - but at least have an Australian band or singer. We should be seeking to grow or build on all the little AFL traditions - that to me would gain more respect from others than trying to make ourselves clones of other codes!
    Agree entirely. When I go to the footy all I'm interested in is the footy. Half time entertainment is just noise that gets in the way of a bit of quiet reflection and discussion of the first half. If anyone goes to the footy to see the half time entertainment, or needs it to make the day worthwhile then they shouldn't have a ticket. That ticket belongs to a real team supporter who can't get a seat! This is particularly relevant on Grand Final day.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I consider half time a moment of zen, where I can reflect in the glory of the Swans.
    Those who want to interrupt with 'entertainment' have no place at the game.
    Nor do those who interrupt my meditation by pushing past me for beer and food.
    There really should be rules about this kind of thing.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Happy and I know it
    The only thing that entertains me at a game is when we win.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Not really condescending more a case of being pedantic which we can all be guilty of. I always want to correct "jersey" to "guernsey" but have to bite my tongue at times. :-)

Guernsey.... bleh! Footy jumper for me

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    The only thing that entertains me at a game is when we win.
    No. the game entertains me.
    Winning is for that little exultation at the end of a game and a warm fuzzy feeling on the way home!!

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    No. the game entertains me.
    Winning is for that little exultation at the end of a game and a warm fuzzy feeling on the way home!!
    I'm with you on this one ScottH.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456