Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NAB Challenge v Lions

Blog Entries

NAB Challenge v Lions

New recruits Issac Heeney, Abe Davis and Jack Hiscox along with rookie Lewis Melican will line up for their first competitive game in the red and white.

The squad also includes four players yet to play a senior game at AFL level with Toby Nankervis, George Hewett, Daniel Robinson and Harry Marsh named.

Jarrad McVeigh, Kurt Tippett, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes and Ted Richards are the only senior players set to sit out the match against the Lions.

See the full squad below:

14. BIRD, Craig
    7. CUNNINGHAM, Harry
    9. DAVIS, Abaina
    39. GRUNDY, Heath
    4. HANNEBERY, Daniel
    5. HEENEY, Isaac
    29. HEWETT, George
    17. HISCOX, Jack
    33. JACK, Brandon
    15. JACK, Kieren
    32. JETTA, Lewis
    12. KENNEDY, Josh
    11. LAIDLER, Jeremy
    31. MARSH, Harrison
    21. McGLYNN, Ben
    43. MELICAN, Lewis
    6. MITCHELL, Tom
    35. NAISMITH, Sam
    13. NANKERVIS, Toby
    26. PARKER, Luke
    38. PYKE, Mike
    24. RAMPE, Dane
    20. REID, Sam
    42. RICHARDS, Xavier
    27. ROBINSON, Daniel
    16. ROHAN, Gary
    2. SHAW, Rhyce
    40. SMITH, Nick
    22. TOWERS, Dean

Fresh face named for NAB Challenge - sydneyswans.com.au

Noticed that Tom Derickx hasn't been selected. Is he injured or is he down the pecking order?

Disappointed that Aliir isn't playing as it sounds like he looked good in the intra and is a good prospect! Looking at this squad it really shows our lack of a backup forward line with Franklin and Tippett both out and with Membrey gone too. I'm sure we'll play Reid forward now but I know most of us want to see him tried down back and to me it appears our only other options are both the inexperienced Nankervis and Davis. With 15 of our grand finalist's playing, hopefully we will put in a decent performance!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I'm quite happy to see the elders sitting out and the newbies getting a run. It's the way we have used the preseason since Roosy's day and I think it works well. What I hope for now is proper coverage of the game on Friday night and proper footage on the official site afterwards.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Pretty confident Reid will still play back. Nankervis and Davis will be our two main forward targets with Pyke and Naismith also resting down there.

Brisbane look close to full strength
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    Also of note (and a gift to the headline writer):

Horse hands over the reins - sydneyswans.com.au

the assistant coaches are going to be in charge for the NAB games. I think it's good to see the staff mixing it up, trying new things to stay fresh and sharp.

Any word on Jake Lloyd elbow injury?

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    I heard 3-4 weeks but unconfirmed.

Really surprised Aliir isn't playing. I would have thought this would be the perfect test run for him. He must have some soreness from last week.

Yes I am also surprised Aliir didn't get a go. He looked ok after the game no probs. I'd say he will get a pick next week at Drumoyne. According to the website Jake Lloyd trained today or was due to train today. Apparently the injury is only minor. He was trying to make the side to play Lions.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 4th March 2015 at 03:00 PM.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    Today's Hun said he's OK and ready to go.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    Disappointed that Aliir isn't playing as it sounds like he looked good in the intra and is a good prospect! Looking at this squad it really shows our lack of a backup forward line with Franklin and Tippett both out and with Membrey gone too. I'm sure we'll play Reid forward now but I know most of us want to see him tried down back and to me it appears our only other options are both the inexperienced Nankervis and Davis. With 15 of our grand finalist's playing, hopefully we will put in a decent performance!
    If you took the equivalent of Franklin, Tippett and Goodes out of any team they would be very thin for talls. Take Roughead, Hale and Gunstan out of Hawthorns forward line, they don't have many proven talls left. I'm confident Nankervis will step up and Horse also gave Naismith a rap the other day. Davis and Robinson will provide medium back-up.

I think Zac & Aliir might be kept back for next week. They will man up better on the Freo boys and it will be a very good test for them. A lot to like about playing some of these lads. I like it that Hewett gets a game. Same with Melican. Both were good in the Intra.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast