Thread: Long for AFL Commission?

Long for AFL Commission?

I am putting this in the academy thread as some discussion about the AFL Commission make-up has appeared here.

I am not a big fan of Mark Robinson, but this article about missing ab opportunity by not appointing Michael Long a commissioner is very good, IMO.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/michael-long-misses-out-on-position-on-afl-commission-opportunity-missed/story-e6frf3e3-1227246815603?
    from=public_rss

Some of the racist comments are very disturbing. Adam Goodes, as usual, gets a mention as well.

I am not sure if Michael Long replaced Chris Langford it would make any difference to the Academy bidding system. But however capable, Langford did retire, and he does have a conflict of interest with his son playing for Hawthorn, a club that has sided with the anti-academy clan.

But even worse, it is an awful snub to the indigenous community. As Robbo says, it was a missed opportunity. All the platitudes about anti-racism are fine, but let's see some substance from the AFL. I wonder who made the decision on this one.

Wow, those comments are exactly why he should be commissioner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    1. �We need an indigenous commissioner,�� Long told the Herald Sun. No Michael, we need the BEST person for the job � whoever they may be. Isn�t the call for an indigenous commissioner racist in itself by declaring the need for a specific race on the commission, something that Michael himself has been fighting against for all these years.
    2. Oh yeah great idea. Let�s make him a commissioner, Adam Goodes can be CEO, we can have an all indigenous tribunal so there is no discrimination, then maybe one day we will have a non indigenous round of football???
    3. Isn�t the fact that Michael Long is coming out and saying that an indigenous person should be on the commission racist in itself? Surely the job should go to the person whom is best candidate no matter their colour, sex or creed?
    4. It sounds like the Gravy train has run out Mr Long, so all aboard the new Gravy train, THE AFL. Go through the appropriate channels like everyone else.
    5. NO Way. This guy is like the one in Sydney WAY WAY TOO POLITICAL AND THINKS THE WHOLE WORLD OWES THEM.
    The term "racist" gets thrown around to such an extent these days that we no longer have a phrase that accurately describes when people are truly racist. None of the above comments are racist. They might disagree with people's opinions, but are certainly not racist.

I personally would have liked to have Long on the commission but I can see the point in requiring commissioners whom are learned, from a business background and with a knowledge of corporate law and obligations. Long does not possess these skills. Their role is to steer the AFL in the right direction and ensure corporate governance not to represent groups within the community.

For me, as with any job, the best person should get it, regardless of race sexuality or gender.
    There are times when a representative of a specific race is desirable to have on board, I guess the question is what difference an indigenous person may make to the commission.
    Last edited by liz; 4th March 2015 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Deleted quoted post (now deleted itself)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

We shouldn't forget that this is the same Commission that came up the Swans trading ban and decided that the Demons should be fined for 'not tanking.'

Just imagine what might have happened if they hadn't been all White and so eminently competent.

Yes, Yes. We can't take a chance and put an indigenous man on the Commission and lower the high standards.

Veteran Site Admin
    Those posts from the academy thread that addressed the issue of Long's potential appointment to the Commission have been moved to this thread. Those posts that couldn't discuss the topic without throwing insults at other posters didn't make it.

RWO does not tolerate racist comments. If you believe someone's post is genuinely racist, please use the "report post" function and the moderators will consider whether the post should remain. Don't address your concerns in thread. However, comments discussing the appointment of someone based on "race" (or, more relevantly, "cultural background") aren't necessarily racist just because they disagree with your perspective. Trying to persuade someone towards your point of view will always be more effective than throwing around insulting terms - "racist" or anything else.