Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sam Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    in my opinion .......like Harry Taylor we will see Reidy play both forward and back KPP vs certain teams and depending on our team line up

he is a difficult match up in attack or defence and allows our team to advance or protect key parts of the field
    IMHO agree he will potentially play both ends but "like harry taylor" ...hmm maybe Harry isnt the one to compare him to.
    Looks ok playing loose in defence but not so good when playing one on one and his field kicking is below standard. I agree with hotpotato I have no idea where he is at given the time he's been given hasnt really delivered much to date.

Cheers

waz

Reid only played a short while in the first NAB match before he got injured, so this is really his first real hitout, and the first in defence. He made a couple of kicking errors, which had nothing to do with being a defender. He's got a bit of improvement to go if he's to succeed, but we really need him to make it, because there won't be much room for him in the forward line once we've got our full contingent out there. We have to persist with this move.

I didn't see the game, but the AFL stats say Reid took 8 marks - Ted 4, Heath 6, Dean 2, Laidlaw 2 and Nick Smith 7. Not sure what game time they had, but looks like he did his job.

If he turned the ball over after the marks, then that surely is a 'defence team' thing; knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the individuals and how to get the ball out safely. Missing Mal maybe?

In the time he was on Cameron he got flogged. Just not strong enough or quick enough. I think he'll get better with time though.

Cameron also kicked a couple on Ted so a bit harsh on Reid as this was his first hit out in defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I didn't see the game, but the AFL stats say Reid took 8 marks - Ted 4, Heath 6, Dean 2, Laidlaw 2 and Nick Smith 7. Not sure what game time they had, but looks like he did his job.

If he turned the ball over after the marks, then that surely is a 'defence team' thing; knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the individuals and how to get the ball out safely. Missing Mal maybe?
    On paper it looks like he played a good game: contested possessions and marks, (only) three clangers; 81% efficiency, lots of TOG. Cameron was a good test and, as aardvark says, shows what needs to be developed. Hopefully Reid'll get there.

Hope they persevere with him in the backline. Cameron's a gun and it'll take time for Reid to learn the craft.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

He came good! Well actually, he got a different role.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frankee View Post
    He came good! Well actually, he got a different role.
    If he keeps playing like that, the opposition will start to target him.
    Be interesting to see if he keeps up the good work.

It is a little too early to call.. I have my eyes crossed though !

Senior Player
    Looking back on these comments it appears that patience has not been a virtue in assessing Sam.

Let's not go over the top. He had one good performance last week but consistency is the key in footy.

If anything last week's game makes me even more frustrated with his previous form because it's clear he had the skill and talent to do better.

(I'm almost certain I once made an identical comment about Jesse White)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast