Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodes Academy

Goodes Academy

AFL NSW/ACT: Adam Goodes Talent Program

does anyone know much about this academy ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Never heard of it before. I know Goodesy has good intensions but having a squad specifically just for Aboriginals doesn't sit comfortably with me. Segregation was wrong in the 60's and it still is. Aboriginals, or any group for that matter, should be treated just like any other group in the community. If a young Aboriginal boy is good enough he should go into the GWS or Swans Academies. Once in the system they might need a little more guidance/assistance, especially if they are from a remote area due to the cultural changes they now find themselves in.

In a perfect world S.S, that would be the case. It isn't a perfect world. To be honest I think it's probably more about getting indigenous kids involved in something positive rather than unearthing the next 'big thing'.

Goes up to 11
    It's a nice little idea and if it helps out a few indigenous kids, it's done the right thing.

This is not special treatment or segregation or anything like that - it's Adam's way of being a role model and helping show others the way.

I can in no way see why on earth this would be considered a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Never heard of it before. I know Goodesy has good intensions but having a squad specifically just for Aboriginals doesn't sit comfortably with me. Segregation was wrong in the 60's and it still is. Aboriginals, or any group for that matter, should be treated just like any other group in the community. If a young Aboriginal boy is good enough he should go into the GWS or Swans Academies. Once in the system they might need a little more guidance/assistance, especially if they are from a remote area due to the cultural changes they now find themselves in.
    Isn't this akin to the successful Clontarf academies run by former Swan, Gerard Neesham?

Your view ignores the systemic hurdles faced by Aboriginal people for generations and assumes there is a "level playing field". Australia (and most of the world) is not as much of a meritocracy as most believe, just take a look at positions of power (typically held by straight white men) and ask yourself "are they really there based on merit?" Or did they go to the right school, live in the right suburb and mingle with the right families? My post doesn't intend to be condescending but I am passionate about all forms of equality and sometimes their needs to be a redress of balance to improve the livelihood of those that need it (in this case, talented Aboriginal kids who may learn important skills through a program like this).

It's also unrealistic to think that Aboriginal people don't need more support services as typically they live in completely different social and cultural situations where what us "Western" people would consider normal, they may consider different. For example it is well-documented that many Aboriginal players find adjustment to the AFL player lifestyle due to family pressures to perform certain tasks and functions and this can cause conflict with training schedules. Therefore a program that is tailored to engaging Aboriginal people and satisfying their needs will be most successful.

The point of the program is not to give "special preference" to aboriginal people, but to create more opportunities for them that are otherwise lacking. Casual racism is still an issue when Aboriginal people apply for jobs and in many other social situations. This program doesn't "take away" from non-Aboriginal people as the standard pathway is geared towards non-Aboriginal people by default of their location and makeup (TAC Cup/Northern Academies are run from Metropolitan cities and other major towns, and most coaches, administrators and players are probably of European descent).

I don't claim to know all answers in race relations but I think this is a good program that will help young people.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    AFL NSW/ACT: Adam Goodes Talent Program

does anyone know much about this academy ?
    Was this part of the 60 or so Aboriginal kids that tested up in Coffs a few weeks ago?

Happy and I know it
    Sounds as if this academy is consistent with other work being done by Goodes and O'Loughlin through their GO Foundation i.e. furthering opportunities for indigenous children.

Our Vision - Go Foundation
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post

I don't claim to know all answers in race relations but I think this is a good program that will help young people.
    DamY you, like everyone else, may not have all the answers but your post on this matter was superb. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    DamY you, like everyone else, may not have all the answers but your post on this matter was superb. Thanks!
    Thanks jono, didn't want to be too preachy but wanted to share my point of view.

What is wrong with you people? I reported him as you requested I do, yet nothing was done about him? Blocking his comments does nothing if you don't penalise him. I'm clearly the victim in this yet all you do is delete MY responses. How about trying to cure the problem instead of just ignoring the symptoms hoping that the issue will go away?
    Settle SS. Please. We don't know what's going on behind the cyber scenes. The Mods are sensible, please give them time & some credit. They need to be diplomatic & I'm sure they will do what's right. Perhaps PMing them might be more productive than public outcry.
    Mods, thanks for your tireless, and all-too-often in acknowledged work

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Settle SS. Please. We don't know what's going on behind the cyber scenes. The Mods are sensible, please give them time & some credit. They need to be diplomatic & I'm sure they will do what's right. Perhaps PMing them might be more productive than public outcry.
    Mods, thanks for your tireless, and all-too-often in acknowledged work
    This.
    And we don't monitor the site 24/7. so sometimes immediate action is available.
    We do have a life outside of RWO!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast