Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodes Academy

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Isn't this akin to the successful Clontarf academies run by former Swan, Gerard Neesham?
    No GS, the Clontarf programme is about improving education, teaching life skills and preparing young Indigenous men to play a meaningful role in society.

This academy appears to be about developing football talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post
    No GS, the Clontarf programme is about improving education, teaching life skills and preparing young Indigenous men to play a meaningful role in society.

Ah ... I thought when it was very first set up it was primarily a foot academy. I know it's now heavily education based. I'm probably wrong. It's a great initiative though.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonsteinman View Post

It would get right up Eddie's nose if we produce a first class player from a private academy.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Ah ... I thought when it was very first set up it was primarily a foot academy. I know it's now heavily education based. I'm probably wrong. It's a great initiative though.
    No worries mate, it's a fairly common misconception. And you're right about it being a great initiative. The way it differs from something like the Goodes academy though, is that in NSW, the Clontarf programmes primarily use Rugby league as a vehicle to engage, given its greater popularity. It's an interesting programme....
    About | Clontarf Foundation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12