Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 V Essendon

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I really don't like this sort of talk, it is not what we are about. The last time we went into a game getting ahead of ourselves we were spanked by 63 points. If we are as good as we think we are, we should be playing our best team every week and be making a statement to the competition. There are a lot of blokes who cannot afford a game off with the quality young guys we have got - I know it is on another thread, but Tippo owes the club a break out season otherwise get the big Tassie boy, Nank in, I like the way he attacks the ball!
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Are you forgetting we have a tough Round 2 matchup against Port? Being notoriously slow starters, I don't think we can afford the luxury and delude ourselves we can just turn it on against a better side when we feel like it. Match practice is just as important and for that reason I would like us to treat this match no differently to any other regular home and away fixture.
    Yep.

Not quite sure why players need a rest in round 1.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I really don't like this sort of talk, it is not what we are about. The last time we went into a game getting ahead of ourselves we were spanked by 63 points. If we are as good as we think we are, we should be playing our best team every week and be making a statement to the competition. There are a lot of blokes who cannot afford a game off with the quality young guys we have got - I know it is on another thread, but Tippo owes the club a break out season otherwise get the big Tassie boy, Nank in, I like the way he attacks the ball!
    I'm not sure where the talk of putting Nank in comes from. Nank is putting as much pressure on Tippett's position as Abe Davis is putting on Franklins position. Tippett for one can judge the flight of the ball while Nank is often seen running under the flight of the ball. Nank is also very inferior to Tippett in terms of recovery, 2nd efforts, tackling and mobility.

It's time that Red and White community started respecting Tippett.

Remember Hawthorn play Essendon in round 2. You think the Hawks will go easy on them? Grab the percentage while we can I say. We may need it later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    This is about asset management. If you are playing the top up Dons side, who you can beat without your most impressive assets, why risk your assets.

Every game you play them is a risk of an ACL. Why put them under that risk when you don't require them to win. Buddy will not benefit from the extra game.

This is about underwriting and protecting our assets.

If the Dons are at full strength, we go in full strength.
    I did my 1st ACL playing footy, 2nd netball. 3rd standing on the footpath when a car hit me ... life is a risk.

Senior Player
    Melbourne a few years ago didn't put their best team on the field, fined, called tankers etc. Top teams finals bound will rest a player here and there towards end of season.

But not fielding your best team in round one?? Nonsensical.

And wouldn't Essendon keep that in their minds for the next few years? That we dissed them.

Nope, not for me. Full team please.

4 points, percentage, momentum at stake. If a player would be playing against a full strength bombers line up, then they should play against whatever bombard team shows ur for round 1 . If there not ready, don't play them.

Suspended by the MRP
    The reality is that most AFL players are not 100% ready to go for each game. They manage their injuries well enough to get on the field. Buddy, Tippett and Goodes have knee issues which they manage expertly through a season. Why play them when you can win without them?

The Swans also need to have a look at the middle and lower ends of their depth chart. It could be very important later in the year when we will need to trade to raise points for Mills and Dunkley.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    I did my 1st ACL playing footy, 2nd netball. 3rd standing on the footpath when a car hit me ... life is a risk.
    Wow. I'll make sure not to stand next to you in that case. I've dislocated my shoulder a dozen times but all the result of things I did, not outside influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    The reality is that most AFL players are not 100% ready to go for each game. They manage their injuries well enough to get on the field. Buddy, Tippett and Goodes have knee issues which they manage expertly through a season. Why play them when you can win without them?

The Swans also need to have a look at the middle and lower ends of their depth chart. It could be very important later in the year when we will need to trade to raise points for Mills and Dunkley.
    Umm, what? What is a depth chart? And on the other hand, we probably 'could' have won the grand final without KJ and Rampe. In reality, we got smashed with both of them playing. Round 1 is not the time to flirt with form IMO. Win by 200 points if that's what it comes to. Don't take anything for granted. We should be playing our best side whenever possible, unless we have a top 2 spot stitched up. Then it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Umm, what? What is a depth chart?
    See thread called depth chart

Fact is, before round 1 last season, on paper, we were expected to beat GW$. History says we suffered our first home & away loss to the Giants. AFL history is littered with unanticipated wins/losses. And occasionally an agonising situation when a team drops a ladder position at the end of the season because of inferior percentage. Can't take any game or potential win for granted.

Veterans List
    Our usual procedure is to hold back senior players in pre season games to help them get through a long tough season. It has worked since Roos was coach and indeed when he was a player. Their bodies are such that their core strength from many seasons playing carries them a long way in pre season and they don't need as much work to come to their peak. Those players held back so far "may" have a niggle or two but that doesn't mean they are not ready for Round 1. One or two matches for them before round 1 gives them the touch they need. Talk of holding back senior players for round 1 because the opposition may be weakened is folly.

I heard from two sources at a function last week. These blokes have some contacts around town in the AFL. One said Buddy has a problem with knee soreness the other said he has it on good authority that Buddy is burning. Longmire said recently he was happy that the season was starting later as it gave his older players plenty of time to come to their peak before Round 1.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post

I heard from two sources at a function last week. These blokes have some contacts around town in the AFL. One said Buddy has a problem with knee soreness the other said he has it on good authority that Buddy is burning. Longmire said recently he was happy that the season was starting later as it gave his older players plenty of time to come to their peak before Round 1.
    And what exactly is meant by buddy is burning ?

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast