Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 V Essendon

Just wild about Harry
    You are right. Rewind to round 1 of 2014. People were probably saying we should ease players in to the season then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosser View Post
    You are right. Rewind to round 1 of 2014. People were probably saying we should ease players in to the season then as well.
    I think we did, it's just that they did their "easing" while going through the motions of playing.

Please, not again against Essendon.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I used to watch Sir Alex at Man United rest and refresh players through a long season. This managed injuries and player impact while building the depth and capability of his whole squad. Sir Alex would not play his best players if the game was a cup tie against a 4th division side. A depleted Dons side is the equivalent of a lower division soccer side.

Cricket Australia practices informed player management. They don't play Mitchell Johnson in Ryan Harris for every game. The rest and refresh them so they operate at maximum impact when required.

These two approaches were not designed by McKinsey and Co. They were designed by World Class coaches who understand competitive sport.
    You can't compare Man U with an AFL team (unless it's Hawthorn). Man U rape poorer and overseas clubs (via increasing their billion pound debt) so they have a stock of excellent players that are there for the very reason of playing the lesser games. The result is the most predictable, uninteresting competition in world sport with a league of many many teams but only four clubs that can ever be premiers.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

The Tree Is Out There treespirit's Avatar
    Also, match practice is requred for all players, young or experienced, especially at the start of the season.

This talk of an easy win is making me nervous.

Suspended by the MRP
    Now do people understand my point on asset management and not playing your best players when you don't have too?

Goes up to 11
    Now do people understand my point on asset management and not playing your best players when you don't have too?
    And your point is?

Edit: please treat this as a rhetorical question - I don't really want to hear whatever crackpot theory you want to try to force down our throats.....

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    And your point is?
    We have Buddy with a potential Jaw or Cheek bone injury. He could be out for 4-6 weeks. Just to play NAB cup.

If the Dons are depleted, don't risk our best players who may benefit from more rehab time.

Goes up to 11
    We have Buddy with a potential Jaw or Cheek bone injury. He could be out for 4-6 weeks. Just to play NAB cup.

If the Dons are depleted, don't risk our best players who may benefit from more rehab time.
    Looks like you missed my updated post.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Yawn.

Buddy was fit, there was not risk in playing him. It was a freak accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Buddy was fit, there was not risk in playing him. It was a freak accident.
    No, no Matt80's right! Horse didn't want to risk a paper cut shuffling papers in the coaches box. In comes Dewey. The club knows not to risk the big guns.

alrighty

now i am confused on what our round 1 team will look like??

we have a lot of guys who are not at full fitness but at least Bud and Kizza are not far off full fitness if they are ok with injuries

Macca?
    McGlynn?
    Bud
    KJack
    Tip?

I suspect that Heeney may have done enough and he is versatile enough to get a start ahead of Mitchell if it comes down to it
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    alrighty

now i am confused on what our round 1 team will look like??

we have a lot of guys who are not at full fitness but at least Bud and Kizza are not far off full fitness if they are ok with injuries

Macca?
    McGlynn?
    Bud
    KJack
    Tip?

I suspect that Heeney may have done enough and he is versatile enough to get a start ahead of Mitchell if it comes down to it
    I too think Heeney should play round one. I think he will shine with buddy and Tippett in the forward line. We have our small forward who pops up in the midfield too.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast