Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 1 V Essendon

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar

Round 1 V Essendon

D-Day for Bombers on March 31 - AFL.com.au

Given the above article, it's more than likely that we'll be facing an undermanned Bombers outfit in Round 1,

How do people think the coaching staff will approach this?
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Senior Player
    I think the coaching staff will approach as though we're playing a full strength Essendon line-up. Anything less and they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Surely if guys like Richards, McVeigh etc would benefit from the extra week off though then we'd give it to them,

Given our performance in Rd 1 last year I don't think complacency will be an issue regardless of the playing 22.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Surely if guys like Richards, McVeigh etc would benefit from the extra week off though then we'd give it to them,

Given our performance in Rd 1 last year I don't think complacency will be an issue regardless of the playing 22.
    If they are drastically weakened then I would rest the following players:

Franklin
    Tippett
    Goodes
    McVeigh
    Ted Richards
    Ben Mglynn
    Pyke

Give those guys more preparation time and see how the middle and lower ends of the Swans depth chart can perform at senior level.

We should still have enough strength to beat a weakened Bombers as the core midfielders are playing.

Agree we start badly since Roose era , club doesn't peak for 3 weeks . why not rest some older more valuable players seems logical ?

Suspended by the MRP
    GWS are killing the depleted Dons team. We could even rest a couple more if this is the round one team that the Done field.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If they are drastically weakened then I would rest the following players:

Franklin
    Tippett
    Goodes
    McVeigh
    Ted Richards
    Ben Mglynn
    Pyke

Give those guys more preparation time and see how the middle and lower ends of the Swans depth chart can perform at senior level.

We should still have enough strength to beat a weakened Bombers as the core midfielders are playing.
    I see no value in resting players in round 1. Later in the year? Definitely.

Might as well play our normal team. They will be better for the run and need to hit some form for whomever we play in round 2.

If you had a player or two who was not ready, you wouldn't risk them. Otherwise, why not send the senior guys out for a glorified training game, especially those who could use it to round off their preparation?

I'm not one for making light of opposition, no matter how poorly they're travelling, but a team full of top-ups would be an exception. In all seriousness though, the verdict isn't until the Tuesday of match week, so we have to prepare as though we're playing their top side. Doing anything else would be unprofessional and a distraction.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

I really don't like this sort of talk, it is not what we are about. The last time we went into a game getting ahead of ourselves we were spanked by 63 points. If we are as good as we think we are, we should be playing our best team every week and be making a statement to the competition. There are a lot of blokes who cannot afford a game off with the quality young guys we have got - I know it is on another thread, but Tippo owes the club a break out season otherwise get the big Tassie boy, Nank in, I like the way he attacks the ball!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    I really don't like this sort of talk, it is not what we are about.
    Don't worry it's not what most of us here on RWO are about either.....

Suspended by the MRP
    This is about asset management. If you are playing the top up Dons side, who you can beat without your most impressive assets, why risk your assets.

Every game you play them is a risk of an ACL. Why put them under that risk when you don't require them to win. Buddy will not benefit from the extra game.

This is about underwriting and protecting our assets.

If the Dons are at full strength, we go in full strength.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Are you forgetting we have a tough Round 2 matchup against Port? Being notoriously slow starters, I don't think we can afford the luxury and delude ourselves we can just turn it on against a better side when we feel like it. Match practice is just as important and for that reason I would like us to treat this match no differently to any other regular home and away fixture.

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast