Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was the 2006 West Coast Grand Final tainted?

Pushing for Selection
    It's worth pursuing when you live in Perth and only hear how wonderful the Eagles are. If this had been an Eastern States team we would never have heard the end of it. It takes the shine off their win when it is tainted with drugs.
    It also highlights a problem in sport where the glory of winning is put ahead of the welfare of the players.
    Where's the remote?

I think it is certainly relevant given the current crucifixion of James Hird and the bombers.

There is absolutely no way that Worsfold and the Eagles were fully aware of Kerr, Chick, Cousins, Gardiner et al for YEARS before the 2006 flag. It was an open secret in 2001, I worked with a bunch of WA boys and they were all aware if the junkies at the club.

The result can never be reversed and the Swans will never get justice but that flag must be viewed by any fair minded followers of AFL as having a massive * against it.

As an aside I find Weagles fans amongst the most smug self righteous in the league. A lot of it is tied up in the insular provincial nature of Perth in general. A friend of mine is a Weagles fan who HATES Jane s Hird with a fashion, calling him a drug cheat and all the insults under the sun but if you mention the Weagles drug culture he goes beyond self righteous.

It's pathetic in the extreme and I am glad that someone as respected as Mike Sheahan has the guts to call them out publicly

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0414 View Post
    It's worth pursuing when you live in Perth and only hear how wonderful the Eagles are.
    HaHa..... Yes. Living in Perth and being surrounded by Wiggle supporters who can see no wrong doing by their holier than thou boys. Drugs?? what drugs they say while sheepishly looking the other way. I say to all of them that they should hand that 2006 Cup to the Swans. Oh no no no they say. It was won fair and square they say.

Like hell.............................................. ........
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

When I lived there some even had the hide to claim they were cheated in 05....Our old mate Tadhg had a fist full of Ashley Sampi's jumper when Leo took "the mark" and they claim it should he resulted in free kick and shot on goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Well said Liz. I also feel sorry for great AFL players like Judd, Cox, Embley and Glass who are having their precious Premiership questioned due to the actions of a couple of clowns. It's also worth noting the stand taken by Embley against this behaviour. He is a very worthy Norm Smith medallist.
    Can you elaborate r.e. Embley?

Also has anyone read Cousins' autobiography? Is it worth a look?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Do a Google search for Andrew Burrell Eagles and you'll get there.
    Just did, and what an interesting article it was. On the question of whether the '06 Premiership is tainted, well, hell yes!! All the drugs mentioned in the article are on the 'banned' list whether they're performance enhancing or not! I'm sure they were back then, it's not as if recreational drugs in sport has been a recent development, so technically they should lose the title. Pity we wouldn't get it back though. It won't happen, the AFL are still largely motivated by the same 'image' driven attitude that got the West Coast culture in trouble in the first place. Sigh......

It takes a huge effort to get a team into a Granny so I find it still rankles that West Coast played one or more players who were not clean.
    At the game , my father in law commented "Cousins is playing out of himself".

Anyway , I will now turn my attention to 2015. Have intro'd some new members, so I hope it's it's a good one.

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nomae View Post
    Can you elaborate r.e. Embley?

Also has anyone read Cousins' autobiography? Is it worth a look?
    Yeh I've read it, pretty interesting but it glorifies the drug use far too much, similarly to the doco that Channel 7 did a few years back.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

On the veteran's list
    Some Adelaide supporter just on SEN saying that the Crows are the losers in all this as the Eagles beat them in the preliminary final in both those years. He went on to say that the Swans were the Crows' bunnies so they are the ones who have lost premierships! Oh Dear!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

For those out there who state that the drugs that West Coast were using weren't performance enhancing, they should read this article; No Cookies | Herald Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Would love to read the article but I dont subscribe to The Australian so cannot open it.
    If you have an iPhone, try this. Open a safari page, go to the bottom and click the two squares, then click Private on the next screen. Rupie can't count your free articles anymore, so... : ). It means no site knows who you are anymore, so you need to log in here when on private though. Or click private off when done reading the freebies.

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar
    News just in this avo......Ben Cousins in police custody again. Ben Cousins in police custody - The West Australian

It wont surprise me one day we will all wake up to the news that Ben Cousins in dead. Remember Chris Mainwaring?? / Ben Cousins was the last person to be with Chris that night. Bit Suss??
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast