Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was the 2006 West Coast Grand Final tainted?

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mariachi View Post
    If you have an iPhone, try this. Open a safari page, go to the bottom and click the two squares, then click Private on the next screen. Rupie can't count your free articles anymore, so... : ). It means no site knows who you are anymore, so you need to log in here when on private though. Or click private off when done reading the freebies.
    You can also google search the exact headline and access the article from the google search. I think this is a deliberate allowance so that news aggregators can pick up articles readily via their own auto search tools.

You have to use the exact headline that is in the online version of the article, then click on the first link from a Google search. If that doesn't work, keep clicking on the links down the page. You only get in once though. So don't exit until you read (or printed/copied) the article.

In the case of this thread, search: West Coast Eagles stained by soap opera of ex-star Ben Cousins then try the first link.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by mariachi View Post
    If you have an iPhone, try this. Open a safari page, go to the bottom and click the two squares, then click Private on the next screen. Rupie can't count your free articles anymore, so... : ). It means no site knows who you are anymore, so you need to log in here when on private though. Or click private off when done reading the freebies.
    Thanks mate,
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Tainted? Absolutely. There is sufficient anecdotal evidence that several Eagles players were taking illegal drugs around that period. Stimulants being amongst those drugs which will improve their performance.

Should the Premiership be taken off them? Morally, yes.

Will the premiership be taken off them? Never. As we have seen with Essendon, it's very difficult taking action against players/clubs who are involved in drugs, whether they be illegal or performance enhancing. The trouble the AFL has is that by having a three strikes policy they are effectively condoning the use of illegal drugs. They can hardly penalise an AFL club because their players are on drugs. Especially when the AFL isn't obliged to notify clubs of breachs (until the third breach). It might be possible to use the arguement the the Eagles brought the game into disrepute but I think too much water has passed under the bridge for that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I see why Kerr is a suspect in this house fire. He threatened to burn her house down last year. http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/west-coast-eagles/would-west-coast-eagles-give-up-2006-flag-for-a-clean-culture-20141113-11ltpi.html

Suspended by the MRP
    Did the AFL ever get any West Coast player for failing a third test for recreational drugs use?

I don't think they did.

West Coast therefore passed the AFL recreartional drugs policy.

This recreational drugs policy is in place to protect all players at all clubs.

We have to let this go.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    We have to let this go.
    We should never let it go. There was a big AFL investigation into the Eagles after their drug problem became apparent. The AFL said that the resultant report was "for the eyes of the Commission only" and "would never see the light of day in terms of the public".

Where there's smoke there's fire ( or a meth lab or Daniel Kerr!)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    We should never let it go. There was a big AFL investigation into the Eagles after their drug problem became apparent. The AFL said that the resultant report was "for the eyes of the Commission only" and "would never see the light of day in terms of the public".

Where there's smoke there's fire ( or a meth lab or Daniel Kerr!)
    I don't think the Swans players from that era are thinking about this as much as we are. Leo Barry's gets up in the morning to make money for his grateful clients, Darren Jolly goes renovating and Barry Hall looks to survive reality TV shows.

I don't think those three above guys spend any time worrying about 06.

Pushing for Selection
    I don't see it as "we was robbed" but would love to see the management and coaches of that time held accountable for their decision to put winning above player welfare.
    Where's the remote?

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    But wait - there's more:
    CCTV: Ben Cousins attempts to outrun police

(and if you think that was last weeks news, he's done it again).

Do you think Cuz and Kerry are having a contest ?
    Bikie related. Just my opinion. nudge nudge wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie_X View Post
    Bikie related. Just my opinion. nudge nudge wink wink
    I've got no doubt there's a connection there somewhere. They previously had close relationships with WC players and I'm pretty sure that Cousins won't be buying his stuff from the local corner druggie.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I don't think the Swans players from that era are thinking about this as much as we are. Leo Barry's gets up in the morning to make money for his grateful clients, Darren Jolly goes renovating and Barry Hall looks to survive reality TV shows.

I don't think those three above guys spend any time worrying about 06.
    Don't be too sure about that. Tagdh and Goodesy have said just recently that they are still gutted.

We got beaten. Re-writing the record books won't take the hurt of that day away.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast