Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GWS v Sydney Swans Early Discussion

GWS v Sydney Swans Early Discussion

Listening to Longmire talk before the Freo game the theme is 'play the experienced players'. This is, as Longmire explained, because there are only three matches before the season proper starts. So in saying that several players will be included into the line up to get match practice before the season starts.

Benny McGlinn and Sam Reid will play. Both were close last week according to Horse. He also emphasised getting more time into Buddy & Goodsie as the games got closer to the season opener. So this week we will probably see The Budster for the whole game.

But will he still be looking at players like Towers, Mitchell, Heeney, Robbo, Xav, Naismith, BJ & Laids. Of that lot Mitchell, Towers, Heeney & Robbo all look like they could brush up very nicely. They all performed pretty well, some of them really well. Xav and Nanker didn't get much gamer time but will probably get rested. Laids is still a doubt for the very hard fought last spot in the defence. Naismith and BJ will probably get a rest this week too.

Tip probably won't make an appearance until round one. Macca is still in doubt for next week too. If they don't play who would you play, keep in mind we do still want to try a couple of players. For mine this is what I would do.

Out; Xav Richards, Naismith, Nankervis, BJ, Robbinson.

In; Reid, McGlinn, Aliir, Jones, Hewett.

A mix of small and tall backs, mids and versatile.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Squads are trimmed to 24 (4 interchange spots + 2 subs) instead of the 26 (6 interchange + 2 subs) for this 'round' of the NAB Challenge. So you'll have to cut 2 more.

Don't see Aliir, Jones or Hewett coming in, having not played the first 2. The ressies are having practice games as well, they will get a run in those games assuming they're fit.

Probably
    In: Reid and McGlynn
    Out: Nankervis and X.Richards (The 2 subs from last week) and then I'm guessing Brandon Jack and Dan Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Squads are trimmed to 24 (4 interchange spots + 2 subs) instead of the 26 (6 interchange + 2 subs) for this 'round' of the NAB Challenge. So you'll have to cut 2 more.

Don't see Aliir, Jones or Hewett coming in, having not played the first 2. The ressies are having practice games as well, they will get a run in those games assuming they're fit.

Probably
    In: Reid and McGlynn
    Out: Nankervis and X.Richards (The 2 subs from last week) and then I'm guessing Brandon Jack and Dan Robinson.
    That would still leave Toby & Big Sammy. I think they might just need ruckmen in the Twos. That would be a good place for Toby at least to get some game time. I forgot about Derrickx, I would have thought they might give him a go to see how he fares. So maybe one of the ruckmen out. I personally would drop Laids for this. don't think he has done much in either game and some of his kick outs have been disastrous. The long kicks to the middle were good but the short ones, YUK! Jetts was much better as was Ramps.

Senior Player
    I think derrickx should definitely play so pyke doesn't need to ruck the whole game. With no Tippett I don't really want Reid risked in the forward rucks.

Btw I saw buddy take a ball up ruck contest last week

Quote Originally Posted by aguy View Post
    Btw I saw buddy take a ball up ruck contest last week
    Yes saw that. Has he ever done that with us before? I was nervous about his knee.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes saw that. Has he ever done that with us before? I was nervous about his knee.
    If I remember he was third man up, which he does every now and again.

Parker even took one boundary contest last week, continuing on from some last season. I suspect that the ruckman just got caught on the interchange rotation in this case.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    If I remember he was third man up, which he does every now and again.

Parker even took one boundary contest last week, continuing on from some last season. I suspect that the ruckman just got caught on the interchange rotation in this case.
    No I'm pretty sure buddy was the primary ruck in the one contest I saw. It was down the water end and likewise I was nervous about his knee. I even called out no for him to stop.

No I'm pretty sure buddy was the primary ruck in the one contest I saw. It was down the water end and likewise I was nervous about his knee. I even called out no for him to stop.
    Yes that's the occasion I saw I think.

Warming the Bench
    I must have missed it!

27-man squad has been named with Sam Reid the only inclusion. The 3 that were left out of the match day team last week in McVeigh, Derickx and Hiscox did not make the squad. 3 more to be left out on the day to result in a 24-man match day team with 4 on the interchange and 2 subs.

Reid returns to face Giants - sydneyswans.com.au

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    27-man squad has been named with Sam Reid the only inclusion. The 3 that were left out of the match day team last week in McVeigh, Derickx and Hiscox did not make the squad. 3 more to be left out on the day to result in a 24-man match day team with 4 on the interchange and 2 subs.

Reid returns to face Giants - sydneyswans.com.au
    Intersting. Well at least they are not relying on Reid to do all the backup ruck work. I reckon xav nankervis and laidler to be cut with Robinson and b Jack to be the subs.

GWS
    In: Shiel, Ward, Scully, Haynes, Kelly, Patfull, Griffen, Hoskin-Elliott
    Out: Tim GOLDS, Nathan WILSON, Zac WILLIAMS, James STEWART, Jack STEELE, Jake BARRETT

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast