Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was the 2006 West Coast Grand Final tainted?

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar

Was the 2006 West Coast Grand Final tainted?

Interesting article by Andrew Burrell

(.........Respected Melbourne-based football journalist Mike Sheahan tells The Weekend Australian that the Eagles� 2006 premiership should now be considered @�tainted� given the number of players known to have been using substances that were banned or performance-enhancing.

�My gut feel is that there were six or seven who have had major substance problems either at the time or since, and that the club was aware of that and it was allowed to continue,� he says......)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1227271987582
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Finally, somebody had the guts to talk about it. We heard the rumours it was tainted ages ago.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthSwannie View Post
    Interesting article by Andrew Burrell

(.........Respected Melbourne-based football journalist Mike Sheahan tells The Weekend Australian that the Eagles� 2006 premiership should now be considered @�tainted� given the number of players known to have been using substances that were banned or performance-enhancing.

�My gut feel is that there were six or seven who have had major substance problems either at the time or since, and that the club was aware of that and it was allowed to continue,� he says......)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1227271987582
    Would love to read the article but I dont subscribe to The Australian so cannot open it.

On the veteran's list
    Do a Google search for Andrew Burrell Eagles and you'll get there.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Do a Google search for Andrew Burrell Eagles and you'll get there.
    They've caught up with that one too..Bloody walls.

Pushing for Selection
    They are still claiming that the substances were not performance enhancing so it doesn't matter. This is rubbish because if they had stopped taking the drugs they would not been able to perform at all. The club turned a blind eye to the problem to win a premiership. Even Cousins was surprised by what he got away with.
    Where's the remote?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0414 View Post
    They are still claiming that the substances were not performance enhancing so it doesn't matter. This is rubbish because if they had stopped taking the drugs they would not been able to perform at all. The club turned a blind eye to the problem to win a premiership. Even Cousins was surprised by what he got away with.
    Gerard Healy has always claimed that cocaine etc IS performance enhancing as it allows players to train harder without pain. (Remember the "gut running" of Cousins and Kerr!)

Veteran Site Admin
    After nearly 10 years, is it something worth dwelling on? We scored one less point during the game, and as a result didn't get to experience the post match euphoria that comes with following a premiership-winning team. Nothing gets that back - no amount of asterisks against the name of the winning team, regardless of whether they are warranted or not (which we will never know anyway).

We're fortunate enough that our club has reclimbed the mountain once since then. And while it may never quite feel like it, also fortunate that they've been good enough to at least reach the grand final on a second occasion since. We sit here at the start of 2015 knowing our club is a pretty decent chance to challenge strongly again this year. I'd rather relish the here and now, that dwell all the way back to 2006. Especially when I think back to those years at the start of the "modern era" of the Sydney Swans from 1996 to 2004, when we were sometimes good but never quite good enough, and we all must have wondered if our club would ever be good enough to actually win the darned thing. Not to mention those who supported the club all throughout the 72 year drought.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    After nearly 10 years, is it something worth dwelling on? We scored one less point during the game, and as a result didn't get to experience the post match euphoria that comes with following a premiership-winning team. Nothing gets that back - no amount of asterisks against the name of the winning team, regardless of whether they are warranted or not (which we will never know anyway).

We're fortunate enough that our club has reclimbed the mountain once since then. And while it may never quite feel like it, also fortunate that they've been good enough to at least reach the grand final on a second occasion since. We sit here at the start of 2015 knowing our club is a pretty decent chance to challenge strongly again this year. I'd rather relish the here and now, that dwell all the way back to 2006. Especially when I think back to those years at the start of the "modern era" of the Sydney Swans from 1996 to 2004, when we were sometimes good but never quite good enough, and we all must have wondered if our club would ever be good enough to actually win the darned thing. Not to mention those who supported the club all throughout the 72 year drought.
    Well said liz

Suspended by the MRP

Well said Liz. I also feel sorry for great AFL players like Judd, Cox, Embley and Glass who are having their precious Premiership questioned due to the actions of a couple of clowns. It's also worth noting the stand taken by Embley against this behaviour. He is a very worthy Norm Smith medallist.

On the veteran's list

I see your point about euphoria, but I want that premiership. We wos robbed just as Geelong was against Carlton when half the team has admitted to taking cash under the table. And I think that Geelong also has a case for their loss to the Eagles in the 90's when West Coast went from normal men to incredible hulks under the tutelage of the Australian weight lifting coach!

I don't believe in draft penalties etc as punishment for breaches which contribute to winning a flag. Ask any team official if they'd rather be impaired in winning a premiership in the next five years or keeping one that is already in the bag I know what 18 out of 18 clubs would do. The only way to punish clubs who are cheats is the take their ill-gotten premierships away, not make it harder to win another one which they probably wouldn't win anyway. I'm sure Melbourne Storm would be happy to trade back their NRL flags for the penalties they may have received for future years.

Just wild about Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Well said Liz. I also feel sorry for great AFL players like Judd, Cox, Embley and Glass who are having their precious Premiership questioned due to the actions of a couple of clowns. It's also worth noting the stand taken by Embley against this behaviour. He is a very worthy Norm Smith medallist.
    Good point

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast