Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Was the 2006 West Coast Grand Final tainted?

I don't want it... it's tainted. They can keep their tainted cup.
    I'm smug in the knowledge that it was a tainted win.
    (And Jolly's wife shouldn't have had a baby in grand final week.)
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Blog Entries

But wait - there's more:
    CCTV: Ben Cousins attempts to outrun police

(and if you think that was last weeks news, he's done it again).

Do you think Cuz and Kerry are having a contest ?
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    But wait - there's more:
    CCTV: Ben Cousins attempts to outrun police
    (and if you think that was last weeks news, he's done it again).
    Do you think Cuz and Kerry are having a contest ?
    Having a contest to see who can be the biggest train wreck? I'm tipping Cousins by a nose.

On another issue, we need to sign up the cop that chased down Cousins. That's not easy with an equipment belt on against an ex-AFL elite athlete.

Goes up to 11
    I'm with Annie in that I see it as tainted and taking it off them now wouldn't do anything for me - we won in 2005, lost in 2006. I've moved on....

As an aside now, I am starting to feel very concerned for Cousins. He seems to be facing real big psychosis/mental health issues as a result of Ice. That stuff seriously messes with a lot of people and he seems to be becoming the unfortunate poster child of why its a good idea to keep the hell away from the stuff. Seems like it's all catching up with him and it ain't pretty....

The fact that the cop caught him shows there is no problem - the drugs are performance enhancing!

- - - Updated - - -

NOT performance enhancing!!!

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I'm with Annie in that I see it as tainted and taking it off them now wouldn't do anything for me - we won in 2005, lost in 2006. I've moved on....
    If someone breaks into my house and STEALS my TV and the police want to return it, then obviously I'll take it back because IT IS MINE!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    If someone breaks into my house and STEALS my TV and the police want to return it, then obviously I'll take it back because IT IS MINE!
    The TV wasn't yet in our house - it was still in the shop, and it was the last one available. They beat us to it unfairly but we never got to claim it.....

"If the truth be known, then the history of world would require a complete re-write."

On the veteran's list
    The TV wasn't yet in our house - it was still in the shop, and it was the last one available. They beat us to it unfairly but we never got to claim it.....
    True. But it was only possible for the TV to LEGALLY go into one of two houses. It now looks like the only legal destination for our hard fought-for TV was our house and it needs to go to it's real home.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

As an aside now, I am starting to feel very concerned for Cousins. He seems to be facing real big psychosis/mental health issues as a result of Ice. That stuff seriously messes with a lot of people and he seems to be becoming the unfortunate poster child of why its a good idea to keep the hell away from the stuff. Seems like it's all catching up with him and it ain't pretty....
    It's not like he hasn't been offered rehab once or twice.
    I think the eagles and the AFL have paid to send him to nice rehab places. Not every junkie gets that opportunity.
    I'd be asking him for my money back.
    Dirty little tosser that he is.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    After nearly 10 years, is it something worth dwelling on? We scored one less point during the game, and as a result didn't get to experience the post match euphoria that comes with following a premiership-winning team. Nothing gets that back - no amount of asterisks against the name of the winning team, regardless of whether they are warranted or not (which we will never know anyway).

We're fortunate enough that our club has reclimbed the mountain once since then. And while it may never quite feel like it, also fortunate that they've been good enough to at least reach the grand final on a second occasion since. We sit here at the start of 2015 knowing our club is a pretty decent chance to challenge strongly again this year. I'd rather relish the here and now, that dwell all the way back to 2006. Especially when I think back to those years at the start of the "modern era" of the Sydney Swans from 1996 to 2004, when we were sometimes good but never quite good enough, and we all must have wondered if our club would ever be good enough to actually win the darned thing. Not to mention those who supported the club all throughout the 72 year drought.
    That may well be the case Liz, however, the OP is asking whether the win was tainted, not whether we were robbed. I think the win was tainted from an objective historical perspective. Irrespective of whether the substances were performance enhancing, it turns out a significant proportion of the West Coast team of 1996 were taking banned substances and they got away with it.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast