Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 45

Thread: AFL Round Table - Fox Footy

  1. #13
    Senior Player ernie koala's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    northern beaches
    Posts
    3,103
    I'm going to re post here what I posted in another (wrong) thread (I'm a bit rusty after a long layoff).

    I think Dew's comments after the GWS game were telling. His main positive take on the game was the team's "refusal to loose"...The antithesis of our GF performance.

    This to me is the most important factor to our fate this year and beyond...Forget talk of ageing defenders, too much spent on two players etc etc..

    We have one of the most talented lists in the comp...If they play with that 'refusal to loose' spirit, we'll give it a real shake this year.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

  2. #14
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'm going to re post here what I posted in another (wrong) thread (I'm a bit rusty after a long layoff).

    I think Dew's comments after the GWS game were telling. His main positive take on the game was the team's "refusal to loose"...The antithesis of our GF performance.

    This to me is the most important factor to our fate this year and beyond...Forget talk of ageing defenders, too much spent on two players etc etc..

    We have one of the most talented lists in the comp...If they play with that 'refusal to loose' spirit, we'll give it a real shake this year.
    I picked that up too Ernie - I'm hoping the summer has seen a strong reconsideration of the 'bloods' ethos, with a reminder of just what has made us a great team over the years. We just gave up on Grand Final day, and I don't ever want to see that from my swans ever again.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  3. #15
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    431
    Shocking show with 2 bigheads/no-alls on. King and Dermie. Hope this is not a regular replacing afl360,

  4. #16
    Maybe I'm still smarting from the last game of 2014 but I think the Swans should cop some criticism on the chin.

    I'm really annoyed we're going into this year with the same mealy-mouthed dual captaincy structure and I sometimes question Jack and McVeigh's mental toughness. I think the lack of leadership was pretty evident when the chips were down in the GF. Same could be said about the 2013 Freo game.

    Despite the lip service what are the structural and cultural changes that will ensure GF 2014 won't happen again?

  5. #17
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Sydney South
    Posts
    1,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Maybe I'm still smarting from the last game of 2014 but I think the Swans should cop some criticism on the chin.

    I'm really annoyed we're going into this year with the same mealy-mouthed dual captaincy structure and I sometimes question Jack and McVeigh's mental toughness. I think the lack of leadership was pretty evident when the chips were down in the GF. Same could be said about the 2013 Freo game.

    Despite the lip service what are the structural and cultural changes that will ensure GF 2014 won't happen again?
    Do you think Parker is ready to be captain? He seems the heir apparent. If he has another year like last year he would have to be considered.

  6. #18
    Call me crazy but if we're trying to build a ten year franchise around Buddy then maybe he should be the captain. He's one of the few that stood up last year in the GF and tried his guts out despite having his head buried in the turf.

  7. #19
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,245
    My brain must still be fried from the weekend, because I have a pretty vivid memory of us beating Hawthorn at ANZ last year and doing so more convincingly than they did to us at the MCG later in the H&A season. Grand Final was an anomaly.

  8. #20
    I personally can't see us beating the Hawks with our best side and their best side. They have too many avenues to goal, too many quality contested ball winning players and too many good users of the ball.

    We have a pretty decent forward line - but they have gone out and specifically recruited to beat us - and a pretty decent midfield but our defence has not been the same without mattner and aj who could both play on talls and smalls and covered for each other.

    For us to win we simply need goodes to play like its 2006 and make gibson truly accountable. I saw frawley beat tippett at the mcg when the dees were a rabble and lake has an excellent record on franklin - and then gibson gets involved whenever they need him to.

    We lost to them in round 18 when litherland was playing on franklin, not lake and we dominated the midfield - and yet for the fifteen minutes they were on top we couldnt stop them from scoring. even when we beat them in sydney we went through a period playing against them without gibson and hodge and we still couldnt stop them from getting an extended run on.

    They have a team which matches up so well on us that it is scary. For us to win the thing I reckon we are going to need a swag of hawthorn injuries (and even that didnt stop them last year) and freo or port to knock them out.

    Everyone else i reckon we've got covered.

  9. #21
    Senior Player Plugger46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Narre Warren, Victoria
    Posts
    3,596
    I'm not remotely interested in what they think but enjoy pointing out some of the ridiculous things.

    We made the GF in 2014. Yes, we failed on the big day and it's taken a long while to get over it. We won it in 2012 with a less talented team. 2 GFs and 3 top 4 finishes on the trot clearly indicate that we're a threat.

    Port didn't make the top 4 in the regular season but the most recent memory people have is of how close they got to Hawthorn. So they're the buzz team at the moment. It was Fremantle last year. It doesn't just automatically happen again.

    We were terrible on GF day but we were 19-5 and that was after being 1-3. We're a very good side. That didn't change in two hours of footy.
    Bloods

    "Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

  10. #22
    Opti-pessi-misti
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Way down south
    Posts
    868
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    This was an actual quote from David King: "If Buddy wins the Coleman, Sydney can't win the Premiership"

    Up there with the dumbest things I've ever heard, particularly from a so called 'expert'
    I think there is some merit in that statement in that if Buddy wins the Coleman it means we have again become Buddy dependent for our goals. I know KT should make a difference, but how much can we depend on him! I am not KT bashing, its just that the Hawks have a battery of goal kickers alongside Roughhead. On Sunday without Buddy and KT, Goodesy was well covered but what encouraged me a lot was Jetts asserting himself a bit, reminding us of what he is capable of, and Rohan, when he was put up forward showed us glimpses of his unique strengths, leading for the ball with speed etc. In the opinion of one of the commentators on SEN Rohan can become a star if given the right opportunities!!

    The thing is that when KT and especially Buddy are on the park we become a 'one trick pony' team!

  11. #23
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,210
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I think there is some merit in that statement in that if Buddy wins the Coleman it means we have again become Buddy dependent for our goals. I know KT should make a difference, but how much can we depend on him! I am not KT bashing, its just that the Hawks have a battery of goal kickers alongside Roughhead. On Sunday without Buddy and KT, Goodesy was well covered but what encouraged me a lot was Jetts asserting himself a bit, reminding us of what he is capable of, and Rohan, when he was put up forward showed us glimpses of his unique strengths, leading for the ball with speed etc. In the opinion of one of the commentators on SEN Rohan can become a star if given the right opportunities!!

    The thing is that when KT and especially Buddy are on the park we become a 'one trick pony' team!
    Not really. Buddy won the Coleman last season and we reached the grand final. The cause of our capitulation in the grand final wasn't due to a failure to convert the chances we created (due to too much focus on Buddy as a target). It was a failure of the midfield to create any chances because they couldn't cope with the pressure that Hawthorn applied.

    Regardless of having one (or two, if Tippett is fit) key targets, we have a pretty decent spread of goal kickers. Most of our midfielders are more than capable in front of goal. Compare the current team to the 2005/6 outfit, where we need our proper forwards to convert most of the goals, and we lucky to get double figure goals over a season from pretty much all our mids.

  12. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrob View Post
    My brain must still be fried from the weekend, because I have a pretty vivid memory of us beating Hawthorn at ANZ last year and doing so more convincingly than they did to us at the MCG later in the H&A season. Grand Final was an anomaly.
    Hawthorn were badly injury-depleted when we faced them early in the season. From memory they were missing Mitchell, Hodge and Lake and I think Rioli did his hammy early in the third or maybe the second.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO