Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFL Round Table - Fox Footy

Suspended by the MRP
    If Mitchell and Hodge are injured then we have a chance. Mitchell keeps feeding the outside runners and exposes our outside game.

Their midfield could be exposed with some gut running. Lewis is pushing in on 30. Mitchell and a Hodge turn 33 and 31 respectively this year so you'd think they'll have to slow down eventually ala Ryan O'Keefe. Langford is a gun in and under but his endurance would be below his peak. I'd like to see us flood back, force them to kick to a contest and hit them on the counter attack.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Their midfield could be exposed with some gut running. Lewis is pushing in on 30. Mitchell and a Hodge turn 33 and 31 respectively this year so you'd think they'll have to slow down eventually ala Ryan O'Keefe. Langford is a gun in and under but his endurance would be below his peak. I'd like to see us flood back, force them to kick to a contest and hit them on the counter attack.
    Whatever happens l would like to see Heeney spend some time playing on either Hodge or Mitchell. It would be good to see Heeney learn from the masters. I have stated that I think he can develop into a player with the positive traits of those two greats

Imagine a feisty Hodge and a feisty Heeney taking on each other on the Swans half forward line. Heeney would give as good back to Hodge as what he would get from Hodge.

All supporters want their club to win the GF, but only one can do it. As it stands, the Hawks are clearly the team to beat this year, and have been for a number of years. The commentators are just stating the obvious. It took a massive physical and mental commitment to beat them in 2012. That's the sort of commitment that will be required for any team to dislodge them from the top spot this year. I hope the Hawks bring their best this year and they don't have many injuries.

As a Swans supporter, I want my team to give 100% whoever is on the park. I think we have a quality playing list, coaching staff and management team. If the Swans play to the best of their ability, that's all I can ask. If the Hawks are still better, so be it.

The top coaches just say that they want their team to give themselves a chance to play on the last day of the season. And I agree with that position. The coaches are looking for the right attitude. The rest will take care of itself.

The kind of commitment the Swans gave in the last GF is not what I want to see from them this year. They all say they've learned their lesson. Time will tell. I'm behind them. I'm optimistic. Let the season begin.

Senior Player
    I think if we are to challenge this year we need to look very closely at the failures and successes in the grand final.

Despite the fact that much of the problem was caused by woeful centre- clearance set-ups we had number of players with worryingly low possessions (Lloyd, Cunningham, McVeigh, McGlynn and Rohan) and a couple that did alright that are not getting much credit - Shaw was one of the top possession winners on the day.

Malceski was our second top possession winner and he is gone. I think Lloyd and Cunningham are by no means lock-ins this year with the potential improvement of Mitchell and Towers and the introduction of Heeney. I think that Towers and Heeney are shaping up as best 22ers and if our clearance work is to improve Mitchell should be part of that push.

McVeigh - I am wondering whether his fantastic service to the club has taken a toll or whether he simply had an injury or a just really bad day. Hoping it was a short term injury but not so sure.
    The apparent improvement in Goode's fitness is heartening because whilst he was far from disgraced in the GF he was a liability in other games because of his inability to chase.

Rohan is to me most dangerous as a forward and I can't think of anyone better than him for applying forward pressure (as long as he watches where Franklin is).

Jetta looks sublime with his delivery from the back-line and barring injury should have a great year.

Bird won't be playing injured this time, set for a good year.

Depth will be better this year in the ruck with all three alternative rucks looking to have improved significantly.

There is the potential for Smith and Rampe to play a different role and line up in the midfield at stages. Smith looks better than I have seen him for a while.

In summary I think there are a number of improvers; Smith, Bird, Naismith, Nankervis, Jetta, Towers, Goodes, BJ, Mitchell perhaps Reid plus the addition of Heeney. The loss of Malceski is a blow but I think we may have it covered with Towers and Jetta in the new role.

Jones is a mystery.

A special word about Nankervis, Dermy was saying that we didn't have anyone who could play angry like Mummy - not sure I agree with what I have seen from Nankervis. He's now the same size as Mummy and seems to have similar ability to throw his weight around.

With all the improvers our depth is better and injuries will be better able to be covered.

Injuries to key backs will be our main worry. Similar to the worry last year when we were lucky the way Tom D shouldered the ruck duties admirably well. With Injuries to the key backs we rely on Reid, Xav and Aliir, any more injuries and we are down to Davis, Melican or McLaren or some very undersized regular players out of position. Given that the back line has been our strength for so long this would be a nightmare for the game-plan.

Bottom line is that with reasonable luck we could have a good year and be a chance.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    All supporters want their club to win the GF, but only one can do it. As it stands, the Hawks are clearly the team to beat this year, and have been for a number of years. The commentators are just stating the obvious. It took a massive physical and mental commitment to beat them in 2012. That's the sort of commitment that will be required for any team to dislodge them from the top spot this year. I hope the Hawks bring their best this year and they don't have many injuries.

As a Swans supporter, I want my team to give 100% whoever is on the park. I think we have a quality playing list, coaching staff and management team. If the Swans play to the best of their ability, that's all I can ask. If the Hawks are still better, so be it.

The top coaches just say that they want their team to give themselves a chance to play on the last day of the season. And I agree with that position. The coaches are looking for the right attitude. The rest will take care of itself.

The kind of commitment the Swans gave in the last GF is not what I want to see from them this year. They all say they've learned their lesson. Time will tell. I'm behind them. I'm optimistic. Let the season begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Except for:
    I hope the Hawks bring their best this year and they don't have many injuries.
    I hope they have a crap year with lots of injuries (albeit nothing too serious).

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    Hawthorn were badly injury-depleted when we faced them early in the season. From memory they were missing Mitchell, Hodge and Lake and I think Rioli did his hammy early in the third or maybe the second.
    We'd lost Jesse White!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I hope they have a crap year with lots of injuries (albeit nothing too serious).
    But isn't it more satisfying to beat them at their best? Or is it preferable to have Dermie saying something like "yeah they beat us, BUT if Rioli, Hodge, blah blah blah weren't injured............blah blah blah?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But isn't it more satisfying to beat them at their best? Or is it preferable to have Dermie saying something like "yeah they beat us, BUT if Rioli, Hodge, blah blah blah weren't injured............blah blah blah?
    "if" - a little word with a lot of outcomes. Probably my second favorite word "if"

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    'if' we win the flag I couldn't care less who it is against or who they have/don't have on the park...all irrelevant!
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't help but feel that the 2 year trade ban (ok, we can trade in a player on almost minimum wage next trade period...thanks AFL for nothing) will cost us big time. In 2005/6, Hawks refused to do the Everitt trade with us and look how our rucks performed in the 2006 GF. We lost by a point and got Everitt the following year...too late. This year, Hawks gain Frawley and O'Rourke, Port gain Ryder and we had Pateful signed , sealed and delivered but couldn't trade him in. I still can't believe that the AFL did that to us so blatently. I hope Gillon McGuire can improve in his job. First job this tear Gillon, look up the words transparency and courage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast