Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AFL Round Table - Fox Footy

AFL Round Table - Fox Footy

Wow, I hope the whole club was watching fox footy tonight, everyone was writing us off. Dermott Brereton was positively gloating about how Hawthorn were able to beat us up and not just in the GF. Totally brushed off our ban from trading when Gerard brought it up whilst boasting about Hawthorn systems attracting Frawley & former No 2 draft pick O'Rourke from GWS. God I was absolutely steaming!! Play that back pre game vs the Dawks to our players as it will have them running through brick walls!! What happened to professional respect? I do agree with some comments about the loss of Mummy as I think even the powers that be may have underestimated his importance to our centre square and stoppage work.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Snork View Post
    Wow, I hope the whole club was watching fox footy tonight, everyone was writing us off. Dermott Brereton was positively gloating about how Hawthorn were able to beat us up and not just in the GF. Totally brushed off our ban from trading when Gerard brought it up whilst boasting about Hawthorn systems attracting Frawley & former No 2 draft pick O'Rourke from GWS. God I was absolutely steaming!! Play that back pre game vs the Dawks to our players as it will have them running through brick walls!! What happened to professional respect? I do agree with some comments about the loss of Mummy as I think even the powers that be may have underestimated his importance to our centre square and stoppage work.
    Whilst I can understand why you are fuming it may be better for us because we definitely prefer the underdog status. 2012 is a perfect example and that worked out pretty well

Dermie is a tosser.

Dermott also said Sydney have a superb team, will beat 15 teams in the comp. but will not win the flag because they sold the farm to get Tippett and Buddy.
    This was also the opinion of the whole panel .
    Healy gave them a hope if Mitchell gets a go , if Heeney evolves quickly , if Reid steps up , if Hanneberry becomes truly elite ...
    They gave other teams a game plan to beat Sydney ...
    It was pretty thorough , Browny talked about Leroy Jetta and Martin Pike , but he's still learning the caper .... The funny thing was no one corrected him .
    So Sydney will have an OK year , but no flag....
    That's it Folks ...
    I'll go to the cricket first and have these headaches later ..

Senior Player
    They may be right. We may not win the flag this year. But we are in much better shape to win than a lot of other teams and that is due to the clubs good management. Of course we all hope we do win this years flag. I'm just saying its a damn hard thing to win no matter how good you are.

They are spot on about our lack of tall backs - we cannot rely on Ted & Reg without other viable options and/or another third tall option! Reid has to - HAS TO - play back most of this season. Or bring in X Richards or Aliir for some game time.

What got up my goat about this clowns was when they discussed the 2013 Prelim loss to Freo. Firstly you fools (read. Dermie), we had injuries to 8 of our best 22 players - which these EXPERTS should have known! Secondly, in all honestly, it was a fantastic effort even making the Prelim - we were absolutely shot by then.

I have a feeling that the appointment of Tom Harley may prove to be a master stroke to instil that Geelong like revenge in us this year after what happened to the Cats in 2008. The Cats were ruthless in search of the premiership in 2009 and I hope we take a leaf out of their book in a pursuit for our redemption!!

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    This was an actual quote from David King: "If Buddy wins the Coleman, Sydney can't win the Premiership"

Up there with the dumbest things I've ever heard, particularly from a so called 'expert'

The irony in discussing the age of our backline is that the Hawks is older, Gibson & Lake are both 30+ and Reid and Frawley basically cancel each other out!! Agree in relation to 2013 as I actually viewed that as one of our bravest performances given the outs we had. It is just the blatant hypocrisy of the Melbourne centric media and clubs about the trade ban and academy that really gets my goat when Collingwood and Hawthorn are the first to bleat about the draw (see Pies last year regarding Sunday night games) or their pockets being "picked" regarding equalisation!

Losing the GF the way we did gives license to those who say we can't beat the Hawks. We simply have to prove it on the field to change those opinions.

As noted above, Reid has to make it as a tall defender, because we are a good year away from finding replacements for Ted and Reg. Also critical is keeping Pyke and Tippo in the park. I think they make a great ruck duo, but beyond that we drop below the premiership threshold on ruck talent. Again, things should improve next year with more training put into our young rucks and KPPs.

I think we match the Hawks for talent, but we need to work better as a team. There always seems to be a free man for the Hawks and the man in possession knows where he is and can hit the target. It's a tough act to match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There always seems to be a free man for the Hawks and the man in possession knows where he is and can hit the target. It's a tough act to match.
    Agree. The Hawks are superb kicks. Sadly I'm not sure we can match them in that skill.

Veteran Site Admin
    Most media pundits were declaring we were no chance for the 2012 flag just a month out from finals, despite being ensconced in the top 4. Meh, what did they know?

I've stopped caring what others think, especially most of those in the media, who show their ignorance far too often.

But I also agree with the comments above that, given the capitulation of the grand final, the team needs to win back onfield respect - especially compared to the best team or two in the competition. The general tenor of pre-season this year seems to be that the Hawks are that much better than the rest that they might as well just be awarded the flag now. It's up to our boys to prove them wrong.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast