Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 2 V Port.

Senior Player
    I wonder if Goodes would have retired had we been able to trade.

Based on what I have just seen we're going to have to lift a lot to get anywhere near Port. That game against Freo was amazing by both teams.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    After playing a high intensity game in 28 degree heat, a 6 day break and a return trip from Perth, I think Port will be very vulnerable. Their key defensive posts are definitely their weakness and if it's a dry night we should be able to expose them.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    After playing a high intensity game in 28 degree heat, a 6 day break and a return trip from Perth, I think Port will be very vulnerable. Their key defensive posts are definitely their weakness and if it's a dry night we should be able to expose them.
    I like your thinking. Don't tell the swans that though. They need to assume port are going to be relentless

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Although he has never said it publicly, I wonder if Goodes is eyeing of Michael Tuck's games record. He has 75 games to go. He may get there if he plays four more seasons. He will turn 38 in four seasons from now.

This milestone is in reach and I'm going to back him.

There will be games this year where he chips in with 3 - 4 valuable cameo goals.

It was a wet night and no tall player dominated. He still looks quite sharp and if Fletcher can keep going, so can Goodes.
    Based on last night Goodes is gone.

All we heard in othe off-season was how he had turned back the clock fitness wise but he was an absolute liability out there last night. Sure he can still sheep-dog a few soft goals but he just gets rolled on the rebound.

I do not believe we can win a flag with him in our best 22, you can't afford to carry someone, no matter how great a servant.

Talk of him playing another four seasons is just an astounding statement, do you actually watch the game Matt or do you just analyse salary caps, trade strategies and the AFL political landscape?

I have faith in Horse to deal with the Goodes issue. He showed a ruthless side with ROK and I have no doubt he will do the same to Goodes if required. If he has another shocker against Port then don't be surprised with a speedy decline. I'd also think we'd see a retirement rather than gutsing it out in the twos like ROK did.

As for changes, I'd go with the following

Cunningham out - McVeigh in
    Mitchell in for Parker (if ruled out with Concussion)

I'd keep the rest as I really think they all deserve a second chance given the comeback but they will need to raise their efforts massively to roll Port next week. Goodes is clearly on notice as is Reid. I think Towers deserves an extended run, if only to "make or break" him and I think Tom Mitchell is way to good a player to not be in our top 22.

I'll trust the coaching staff to manage Heeney but I don't see how giving him less game time if he is playing well helps the team.

McVeigh hasn't played a pre season match yet. Stepping in against Port may be a bit too tough for him. I wonder how far away McGlynn is too.

I agree that Mitchell is a logical inclusion for Parker if concussion rules him out. Agreed on Towers too, I thought he was one of our cleaner users of the footy last night. Reid will be a full time defender very soon the way he's going. He looks so much better back there.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Goes up to 11
    Although he has never said it publicly, I wonder if Goodes is eyeing of Michael Tuck's games record. He has 75 games to go. He may get there if he plays four more seasons. He will turn 38 in four seasons from now.

This milestone is in reach and I'm going to back him.

There will be games this year where he chips in with 3 - 4 valuable cameo goals.

It was a wet night and no tall player dominated. He still looks quite sharp and if Fletcher can keep going, so can Goodes.
    LOL one of your best yet......

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Based on last night Goodes is gone.

All we heard in othe off-season was how he had turned back the clock fitness wise but he was an absolute liability out there last night. Sure he can still sheep-dog a few soft goals but he just gets rolled on the rebound.

I do not believe we can win a flag with him in our best 22, you can't afford to carry someone, no matter how great a servant.

Talk of him playing another four seasons is just an astounding statement, do you actually watch the game Matt or do you just analyse salary caps, trade strategies and the AFL political landscape?

I have faith in Horse to deal with the Goodes issue. He showed a ruthless side with ROK and I have no doubt he will do the same to Goodes if required. If he has another shocker against Port then don't be surprised with a speedy decline. I'd also think we'd see a retirement rather than gutsing it out in the twos like ROK did.
    It's astonishing how Goodes is being written off. He missed a shot on the run, but you could see him pulling away from his opponent. The pace is still there. I would still back him to beat Tom Mitchell, Craig Bird, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Heath Grundy, Ted Richards, Issac Heeney and Jeremy Laidler over the 40 yard time trial.

By all accounts he is better prepared in 2015 than 2014. His output was good in 2014 and you would think that his output would be better in 2015. If his output is better in 2015 then he will play in 2016.

ROK was a very good player at AFL level, but Adam is an all-time great. ROK could not survive in the open field in 2014, Adam Goodes can in 2015.

He will be handy at the Adelaide Oval where he will lead into space and give some great options.

Adam is building. It would not surprise me if he was amongst our better players on a dry deck.

As I am travelling to Adelaide tomorrow I have been keeping a close eye on the weather.
    (Not least because the only seats I could get were with the cheer squad in the open and whilst I'm looking forward to the experience as I think it will be really fun, my wife has threatened not to come if it's wet or even dampish)
    So to the forecast 40-60% showers on Saturday night. The whole week looks very overcast with the possibility of rain and showers and increased early in the week. Clearing on Sunday, of course when we come home.

That said we cannot go in to this game without Mitchell. I hope everybody was watching their spread when in possession and their ability to hit targets with handball around clearances. Their speed is predicated on first touch in contested footy and pressure on the ball carrier.

We must have players ready for the contest., eager to make contact and responsible for their opponent at all times.

I have already made my thoughts clear about who cannot do this so I'll say no more.

It's astonishing how Goodes is being written off. He missed a shot on the run, but you could see him pulling away from his opponent. The pace is still there. I would still back him to beat Tom Mitchell, Craig Bird, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Heath Grundy, Ted Richards, Issac Heeney and Jeremy Laidler over the 40 yard time trial.

By all accounts he is better prepared in 2015 than 2014. His output was good in 2014 and you would think that his output would be better in 2015. If his output is better in 2015 then he will play in 2016.

ROK was a very good player at AFL level, but Adam is an all-time great. ROK could not survive in the open field in 2014, Adam Goodes can in 2015.

He will be handy at the Adelaide Oval where he will lead into space and give some great options.

Adam is building. It would not surprise me if he was amongst our better players on a dry deck.
    No everyone is writing Goodsey off, it's more the breaking Tuck's record that seems a bit optimistic

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    As for changes, I'd go with the following

Cunningham out - McVeigh in
    Mitchell in for Parker (if ruled out with Concussion)

I'd keep the rest as I really think they all deserve a second chance given the comeback but they will need to raise their efforts massively to roll Port next week. Goodes is clearly on notice as is Reid. I think Towers deserves an extended run, if only to "make or break" him and I think Tom Mitchell is way to good a player to not be in our top 22.

I'll trust the coaching staff to manage Heeney but I don't see how giving him less game time if he is playing well helps the team.
    Agree Mug except for Reid.

I think he is doing his job and will only get better. A drier ball he sticks a few more marks. Did you notice how many times he got to a contest in the last QTR - a bump, pressure or a paddle of the ball to a team mate? These are not traditional stats, but I think they would be highly valued by the team.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast