Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tom Mitchell

Senior Player
    Yeah i'm confused. I think it's a mixture of all the above.

Surely though he has been asked about Heeney and Goodes more than TM?

Happy and I know it
    What a coach says to the players directly is more important than what he says publicly. Clubs these days have to speak to the media regularly but there's no reason they have to specify their plans for players nor their true opinions. The media doesn't have a right to know everything, nor do we.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    What a coach says to the players directly is more important than what he says publicly. Clubs these days have to speak to the media regularly but there's no reason they have to specify their plans for players nor their true opinions. The media doesn't have a right to know everything, nor do we.
    Agree with that. And Longmire rarely gets effusive over anyone. At least not publicly.

Senior Player
    OK fair enough..Last word from me on it. but he does speak positively sometimes.
    I'm not seeking or expecting effusive Liz, or smothering with praise. He just seems to be holding back.
    Anyway, I'm happy to defer to the majority opinion.

Has anyone on here ever listened to Ross Lyon?

Senior Player
    As has been discussed, ad nauseum on here, is that Mitchell is a midfield or bust player. So he needs the motor to play there. His injury interruptions has led him to not having the required fitness base to play pretty much permanent midfield. Therefore the one thing that he needs is a continued run in the side, and Longmire wishes for that. I think in its simplicity, Horse has actually highlighted his wish for Tom, and it isn't a throw away line.
    C'mon Chels!

I agree with Royboy.
    I'm also bemused by the 'shrug of the shoulders' type response Horse has given regarding Mitchell.
    Then to comment that he "hopes" he can string some games together...
    Whilst also referring to team balance, as the major week by week selection criteria.
    It's almost as if Horse has him holding onto a senior spot by a mere thread.
    I hope it's just what others think...An understated, not very effusive, Horse.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side
    He couldn't even get a single vote from Horse and Roos in the Aflca?

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    But Doctor, even in that quote, the coach is holding back, as if he doesn't really expect his run to continue. And I've followed Mitchell all career cos I saw him at the very start at training and his quality stood out even then. And there is not a more modest, stay in the background type at the Swans.
    It just leaves me a bit bemused.
    You may be right. I'm just theorising.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Hes a poor mans Matt Pridis

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I agree, royboy. Was disappointed once again by Longmire's very tepid comments.

When Longmire refers to Mitchell it's always something like "He knows how to find plenty of the ball...". The unstated conclusion to that line of thought to me is "...but he doesn't know what to do with it when he does." I think his performance against the Dees puts a pin in that idea. His efficiency and decision making was fantastic.

My only conclusion is that he wants Mitchell to keep working hard on the weaker aspects of his game and is concerned that excessive praise will stunt that development. He's a natural footballer but (this is stupid I know) I do sometimes wonder about the internal politics at the club. Like how hard does he work, does he have the respect of his teammates, has he failed in the past to meet some benchmarks/instructions set by coaching staff etc.
    The entire Horse post match interview was pretty subdued so I wouldn't read too much into his Mitchell comments.

I don't actually think Mitchell earned any rave reviews, both his games back have been decent but not outstanding and I'd say he still has a bit of work to do until his an automatic selection.

Having said that he is a player I rate and I'd like to see him stay if possible. I do think he is probably someone they would consider trading if the price was right at year end but let's not worry about that for now

I rate him.

There was one piece of play that was highlighted by good camera work on the boundary during the game against Melb. Others were prepared to muscle it over the line but Mitchell got right down to ground level and was looking through a forest (that's the Tassie Greenie coming out in me) of legs of which some were tattooed. He looked through that maze of humanity at barely 10 cms off the ground and threaded a beautiful handball that opened up play..briefly..

Maybe he sees the negative space just as they teach you in drawing. Other people see the obstacles He sees the space.

I officially fell in love
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast