Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tom Mitchell

Watched him and he has changed his game ,seems very determined 2nd 3rd tackles are up might worked it out this may be his last chance ?????

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmopugdog View Post
    I rate him.

There was one piece of play that was highlighted by good camera work on the boundary during the game against Melb. Others were prepared to muscle it over the line but Mitchell got right down to ground level and was looking through a forest (that's the Tassie Greenie coming out in me) of legs of which some were tattooed. He looked through that maze of humanity at barely 10 cms off the ground and threaded a beautiful handball that opened up play..briefly..

Maybe he sees the negative space just as they teach you in drawing. Other people see the obstacles He sees the space.

I officially fell in love
    What about the gather right against the boundary line whilst others were trying to take it out then the over-the-shoulder no look handball to free up Parker running into space and kicking long inside 50. Haven't seen a player do anything like that since Pendlebury or Stevie J...simply brilliant. Thought he was really stiff not to get a vote from the coaches, when the heat was at the beginning of the game he was the dominant midfielder. Only 3 touches in the last qtr probably hurt him but it was done and dusted then.
    Twitter @cmdil
    Instagram @conordillon

Goes up to 11
    I rate him.

There was one piece of play that was highlighted by good camera work on the boundary during the game against Melb. Others were prepared to muscle it over the line but Mitchell got right down to ground level and was looking through a forest (that's the Tassie Greenie coming out in me) of legs of which some were tattooed. He looked through that maze of humanity at barely 10 cms off the ground and threaded a beautiful handball that opened up play..briefly..

Maybe he sees the negative space just as they teach you in drawing. Other people see the obstacles He sees the space.

Beautifully put Satchmo - especially the bit about negative space. I think you might be onto something there....

I love watching the work Tom does in really cramped spaces. He has a nose for the ball in those situations and a clever knack for shooting a deft handball out to others. From what I saw of him at junior level he's had that knack for a long time too.

It's good to hear that the club is working on ensuring other parts of his game are being worked on as well. Also, perhaps it takes his teammates time to really get what he's about and the more he plays, hopefully the more they'll get themselves in the right positions to take better advantage of his sublime in and under work.

I just hope he keeps his place in the team as I think we're better off, and a bit more flexible, with him in there...

Agree that Longmire is rarely glowing of anyone but he does seem particularly hard on Mitchell. I don't know why but I'll back him to know what he's doing. Everyone is different after all.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

On the veteran's list
    Didn't score a vote in the coach's award
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Who did get the coach's awards? Where do we find that info?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Who did get the coach's awards? Where do we find that info?
    There you go:

Star midfielder gets full votes - sydneyswans.com.au
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the thread is Tom Mitchell...the kid can play. In my opinion, given a real hot go for consistent senior football, this kid has the potential of being an elite AFL player. Did I hear too slow? Can't kick? Let me rewind to other past young players....Greg Williams, Dane Swan, Sam Mitchell and we also have a certain Luke Parker who fell in the draft for lack of pace and the view that he was a one dimensional inside player. Sometimes the obvious stares you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thanks for that. I had JPK and Jetta in my top 3 FWIW.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Veterans List
    I rate him.

Yep, great call, loved this moment too.

Regular in the Side WauchopeAnalyst's Avatar
    I think I have worked it with Tom's problem. Not Horse but Craig Bird. The team structure cannot allow for Mitchell, Bird, JPK and Parker to play together. Horse loves Birdy and I think all of us fans love him as well, but Tom gives us a lot more around the contest and either winning or neutralising the ball. Birdy does several jobs but Tom is a really different player, in and under player and can sneak a few goals. Unfortunately I can't see all 4 playing together and JPK and Parker are elite. If the other 3 play Towers or Cunningham are the next player to come in. Birdy is limited with speed and height, but a massive heart and commitment but the team becomes a bit slow. McGlynn tagging Selwood was really good and Birdy role is gone. Going forward, Birdy won't get a game unless one of the 3 are injured or rested or Tom plays 3 or 4 stinkers in a row..

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I take your point, but there could be a place for all four against the right team. For instance, next week against the Hawks, i'd be inclined to omit Towers and bring back Bird, with instructions to stop Sam Mitchell. That would have Bird playing mid and forward which is what he does well, and apply his stopping power to a very dangerous opponent.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast