Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Horses coaching

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Crouch is co-coach of the ressies with Mattner

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't know which game you looked at. You wouldn't be Bedford from Big Footy would you? It tsakes all kinds of players to make a team, some tough, rough and ready and some very skilled who can have an influence far beyond the tough guys. I like both and I think they compliment each other. No, Towers is not tough, hard tackling player, but he does try. He gives 100% effort and to suggest de-listing him is astounding. He is just starting to play well. I suppose you are ready to concede his two goals back to Port? If you don't want him playing you can't have his goals and not have him playing. Either one or the other. I also forgot to mention his two direct goal assists and three other deliveries that resulted in scores.

So give me a break, if you come from a Rugby League background settle, this is AFL not Thug Ball!
    The key point I take away from that is that while not everyone in the team has to be a tough, hard tackling player, but they all have to go when it's their turn and not take a backward step from the contest. My understanding of "soft" is that they shirk the contest by avoiding body contact, which is not on no matter what type of player you are. You can still be a skilful outside receiver and not be soft. Towers is improving, but Plugger46 said it best, he's still got to be harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    The bulk of the team played like Towers in the GF.

He doesn't have to be Paul Kelly but he's got to get a hell of a lot harder.
    In the Granny they got a little ahead of themselves , believed all the hype .
    It doesn't take much to switch from the 2012 mindset to the 2014 mindset .
    There's got to be a PHD right there.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    Plugger46 said it best, he's still got to be harder.
    Agreed.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    It was interesting to hear that the coaches in their meeting with the AFL when discussing raising the draft age, gave as a reason that with most young, newly drafted players it took about two years 'to reprogram' them. Why would you want to 'reprogram' them was my first thought. It is one of my pet dislikes ie why would you want to pick someone who has played say 4 of his formative footballing years as a forward and obviously well enough to get drafted and then decide to develop him as a back, for the sake of the team! Likewise you pick someone as an outside runner who has never laid a tackle in his life at junior level, because he has not needed to, and probably it is not in his nature to do so, then insist that he become an effective tackling machine. It begs the question, why not just draft an outside runner who also has a defensive side to his game - it would save a lot of anguish all round!
    Reprogramming is a refence to the fact that every player drafted into the AFL is a star in his local team and, as such, have NFI about being defending/accountable/two way running/team structures etc.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

On the Rookie List
    I seem to remember Trent DL winning a game for us with a wonderful tackle in the goal square which gave him an easy goal. Agree about Mitchell and nothing showed this up better than the GF.We had wondeful receivers and pace off the Hafback but we had nobody who could get pssession of the ball and bring these players into the match.We desperately needed a posession player like Mitchell!

Senior Player
    Hannebery had 34 possessions on the weekend. Kennedy, Jack and Parker normally rack up high possessions from midfield clearances too. Yes on grand final day they didn't fire but I'm not sure Mitchell would have won the game for us.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Reprogramming is a refence to the fact that every player drafted into the AFL is a star in his local team and, as such, have NFI about being defending/accountable/two way running/team structures etc.
    Thanks Sharp9. My understanding was a bit wide of the mark. Your explanation fits in with Phil Walsh's comments about senior footy getting further and further away from 'grassroots footy'. Its hard to know whether raising the draft age would help bridge the gap.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234