Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Horses coaching

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Carlisle is a lot bigger than Towers, that's why he should've had his head down going flat out, rather than let Carlisle dictate the contest.

If you get a chance, Melbourne_Blood, have a closer look at him when he is anywhere near a contest.. He seriously lacks the commitment we need in the red and white. If he's wide open, in a bit of paddock, he isn't too bad, that's why he gives the impression of a decent game. Close to a pack, however, quite frankly, he is pathetic.
    I will do that. However, he's not in the side to be winning a large amount of contested ball, same as Kennedy isn't on the side for his pace. I think he had a good game on the weekend, he executes his skills well, hit the scoreboard, provided run ( most of this in the fist half when the game was on the line, and I think he can only get better with more senior exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I did not say injure his team mates. I said that he needs to make a physical statement at training this week. It's a contact sport. When you are under pressure for your spot, you need to let everyone at training know that you mean business and that you will fight hard.
    He doesn't need to make a statement at training. He needs to make a statement in a match. I know he's never been the best chaser going around but his recent efforts have been even worse than normal.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I will do that. However, he's not in the side to be winning a large amount of contested ball, same as Kennedy isn't on the side for his pace. I think he had a good game on the weekend, he executes his skills well, hit the scoreboard, provided run ( most of this in the fist half when the game was on the line, and I think he can only get better with more senior exposure.
    I'm not talking about winning contested ball, I am talking about having willingness to put his body on the line. He'll hit a pack at flat out, and hope for the best that something falls his way, rather than doing all that is required to halve a contest, which will often lead him to running right past the pack. It is soft. I only recognise it in him, as I used to do the same when playing. I was too soft..
    C'mon Chels!

I'm not talking about winning contested ball, I am talking about having willingness to put his body on the line. He'll hit a pack at flat out, and hope for the best that something falls his way, rather than doing all that is required to halve a contest, which will often lead him to running right past the pack. It is soft. I only recognise it in him, as I used to do the same when playing. I was too soft..
    Haha love the honesty !

I seem to be having this little ongoing exchange with you about Towers, with me coming to his defence. I am not disagreeing with you that Towers can be a bit 'gun shy' when entering a physical contest. He's no Hannebery, but not many are. But seeing that Towers usually comes out second best in such encounters, it doesn't make sense for him to put his body on the line if the only result is that he might get injured. Towers has to find a way to approach contested ball situations where he increases the chance of him coming out with the ball. Crashing into the contest is just not part of his repertoire at the moment. Some players, particularly those with lighter frames and a bit of quickness are more effective by finessing the contest.

Towers has only played 8 games. You've pointed out one of the areas where he needs improvement. But I wouldn't go so far are to say we should drop him because he's soft. I am only suggesting that we give him time to work out a solution that best suits his abilities. It may turn out that you are right and he simply doesn't have the hardness to play AFL level footy. But he is still improving his game and I am inclined to take a wait and see attitude at this time.

That said, Towers does tackle and he does go for the ball. It's not like he's running away from contested ball situations. He's just not that good at it at this early point in his senior career.

Opti-pessi-misti
    It was interesting to hear that the coaches in their meeting with the AFL when discussing raising the draft age, gave as a reason that with most young, newly drafted players it took about two years 'to reprogram' them. Why would you want to 'reprogram' them was my first thought. It is one of my pet dislikes ie why would you want to pick someone who has played say 4 of his formative footballing years as a forward and obviously well enough to get drafted and then decide to develop him as a back, for the sake of the team! Likewise you pick someone as an outside runner who has never laid a tackle in his life at junior level, because he has not needed to, and probably it is not in his nature to do so, then insist that he become an effective tackling machine. It begs the question, why not just draft an outside runner who also has a defensive side to his game - it would save a lot of anguish all round!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    That said, Towers does tackle and he does go for the ball. It's not like he's running away from contested ball situations. He's just not that good at it at this early point in his senior career.
    Fair enough.. With a high intensity, tackling pressure game, we need everyone on point. One weak link, and we can get done. Towers will no doubt get more opportunities, but I just don't see him having the application required at this level.
    C'mon Chels!

Towers is softer than Trent Dennis-Lane, if that is possible. Some of his tackling efforts, and strength in the contest, were absolutely deplorable on Sat night. I don't care if Mitchell is slower, I would much rather a bloke in a red and white guernsey showing that he is willing to put his body on the line, than a fast bloke not willing to damage his fingernails.

Towers to be dropped, and de-listed at the end of the season, for mine.
    I don't know which game you looked at. You wouldn't be Bedford from Big Footy would you? It tsakes all kinds of players to make a team, some tough, rough and ready and some very skilled who can have an influence far beyond the tough guys. I like both and I think they compliment each other. No, Towers is not tough, hard tackling player, but he does try. He gives 100% effort and to suggest de-listing him is astounding. He is just starting to play well. I suppose you are ready to concede his two goals back to Port? If you don't want him playing you can't have his goals and not have him playing. Either one or the other. I also forgot to mention his two direct goal assists and three other deliveries that resulted in scores.

So give me a break, if you come from a Rugby League background settle, this is AFL not Thug Ball!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't know which game you looked at. You wouldn't be Bedford from Big Footy would you? It tsakes all kinds of players to make a team, some tough, rough and ready and some very skilled who can have an influence far beyond the tough guys. I like both and I think they compliment each other. No, Towers is not tough, hard tackling player, but he does try. He gives 100% effort and to suggest de-listing him is astounding. He is just starting to play well. I suppose you are ready to concede his two goals back to Port? If you don't want him playing you can't have his goals and not have him playing. Either one or the other. I also forgot to mention his two direct goal assists and three other deliveries that resulted in scores.

So give me a break, if you come from a Rugby League background settle, this is AFL not Thug Ball!
    Play the ball, not the man, mate. Oh, wait, that's exactly what I am talking about. No, I haven't been on BigFooty for about a decade. And no, not from a Rugby League background.

If that is 100% effort, well he definitely needs to be de-listed!!
    C'mon Chels!

The bulk of the team played like Towers in the GF.

He doesn't have to be Paul Kelly but he's got to get a hell of a lot harder.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Watching game live and it seems coaching is a bit pro active ,creative different swans ?
    I think it helps having Josh Francou in the box. Josh has coached a team in a good league, SANFL, to a GF. You don't get there without having a good knowledge of the game and a very good idea on how to change it up. With Francou, Harley as Footy Manager, Dew as Mids Coach, Blakey as Defensive Coach & Henry taking the Forwards there is more balance. Horse has another very experienced and talented mind in the box as well as being able to pick Tom's brain.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 16th April 2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Capitals

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

I think it helps having Josh Francou in the box. Josh has coached a team in a good league, SANFL, to a GF. You don't get there without having a good knowledge of the game and a very good idea on how to change it up. With Francou, Harley as Footy Manager, Dew as Mids Coach, Blakey as Defensive Coach & Henry taking the Forwards there is more balance. Horse has another very experienced and talented mind in the box as well as being able to pick Tom's brain.
    What's Crouch up to this season ?
    (Sorry if it was publicised and I forgot)
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast