Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Rnd 3 V GWS

Goodes last few games of last season were pretty good if my memory serves. I'd be prepared to offer a few more chances, especially if Mcglynn isn't quite ready. Heeney or Towers to sub, if they want to make a change, but I liked both their games on the weekend. Towers starting find the pace of senior footy, Heeney looks like he's played 50 games already

Opti-pessi-misti
    We have Benny, Harry and Mitchell banging on the door but I cannot see Harry or Mitchell getting a look in this week. For team balance the situation is unchanged - we just do not need another inside mid, and imo Harry is competing with Towers, Lloyd and Jets for a spot. Rohan and Heeney add the valuable grunt and competitiveness. Benny? Maybe he could do with an extra week in the 2's, so I would go with no change this week and Goodesy as sub.

It's 8.20pm , 50 mins into AFL 360, and Sydney's remarkable performance hasn't been mentioned...
    Wierd..

Based on what I've seen of John Longmire, my guess is that Adam knows exactly where he stands. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made clear at the end of last year that he might slip out of our best 22.

The thing we sometimes forget, is that some players aren't that fussed about the arrangement. They don't see starting as a sub, or playing ressies as a shameful slur on their ability - they see it as a chance to spend one more year doing what they love and even the chance of 5 minutes on the ground or to work with the kids in the reserves is rewarding. I don't know how Adam feels. ROK certainly didn't feel that way, but everyone's different.

I'm with ludwig though - even if Adam is dropped and never plays another senior game, he will always be respected as one of the greatest players the club has ever seen. Respect and selection are two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I'm a big Towers fan, so no change for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Based on what I've seen of John Longmire, my guess is that Adam knows exactly where he stands. I wouldn't be surprised if it was made clear at the end of last year that he might slip out of our best 22.

The thing we sometimes forget, is that some players aren't that fussed about the arrangement. They don't see starting as a sub, or playing ressies as a shameful slur on their ability - they see it as a chance to spend one more year doing what they love and even the chance of 5 minutes on the ground or to work with the kids in the reserves is rewarding. I don't know how Adam feels. ROK certainly didn't feel that way, but everyone's different.

I'm with ludwig though - even if Adam is dropped and never plays another senior game, he will always be respected as one of the greatest players the club has ever seen. Respect and selection are two different things.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. I'm a big Towers fan, so no change for me.
    If it is wet I'd bring Mitchell in to provide so grunt instead of Goodes, if not then no change for me.

McGlynn is clearly in our best 22 but I'd give him another run in the twos.

Talk about resting Heeney at this stage is quite simply insane!!!!

Genuine depth, as you would expect at this stage of the season, with B. Jack, Mitchell, Zak Jones, Cunningham and Naismith offering great options.

Re Goodes it really does appear that he has gone a season too far but at some stage he needs a decent run out to settle things once and for all. I thought he was cooked last year too and I think there is no way we can win a flag with him in the 22. This is no offence, father time stands still for no man and I will forever remember him as one of my favourite players. Even if he goes out with a whimper this year in the twos I am glad that his last game in red and white will not be that game last September

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    It's 8.20pm , 50 mins into AFL 360, and Sydney's remarkable performance hasn't been mentioned...
    Wierd..
    This is a good result. We love it under the radar, we produce from under the radar. Keep it this way, please .

No mention 'On the Couch' either...Perfect, let's hope they keep it up.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Goodes, along with many many others was poor against the Bombers in conditions that didn't suit him and I thought he was pretty good last week albeit when the heat was out if the game.

If they decide that he can't contribute anymore to the standard required I just hope that he gets a farewell game at the SCG in front of a full house. He deserves no less for what he's done for this club.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I've finally got to watch the replay and as Big Al says, Goodes looked fine in his limited time, not sure why so many are writing him off. Was interesting that Buddy was getting the usual boos that Adam gets, but when he came on the port fans managed to boo both.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Veterans List
    Couple of things

McGlynn was still on restricted time in the ressies game last week so will need at least a full game before returning to the seniors.

Depth, in reality we have limited depth so there is no way Goodes is going to retire during the year unless injury stops him playing. Who can REALLY contribute amongst those not playing seniors now, only McGlynn when fit, Mitchell, Cunningham (needs to find form) are proven players, that's just three! Anyone past that, including B Jack and Jones are yet to show they can rise to the standard. When it comes to finals I know I'd rather have Goodes in my mix for even just sub.

This week no change, Goodes sub again, maybe needs a run in the ressies when we go to Freo. BTW, glad to see serial pest Ballantyne missing our game :-)

The difference between Okeefes situation and Goodes is that we are winning. Goodes will play. McGlynn for Towers.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Goodes, along with many many others was poor against the Bombers in conditions that didn't suit him and I thought he was pretty good last week albeit when the heat was out if the game.

If they decide that he can't contribute anymore to the standard required I just hope that he gets a farewell game at the SCG in front of a full house. He deserves no less for what he's done for this club.
    Isn't that kinda the Catch-22 though? If he can't contribute to a required standard he shouldn't get a game at all.

It's one of the (very few) problems with being in a premiership window - older players will try to stick around for one last taste of glory. I strongly suspect that if we had won the flag last year, Adam would have announced his retirement post-match.

When the difference between a win or a loss could be a clanger or a missed tackle or a poor chase, and the difference between a home or away final could be a matter of percentage, you cannot afford to carry passengers for sentimental reasons in modern footy.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast